Super Sonic Hearing

Posted: 12/19/2012 6:31:54 PM
RS Theremin

Strange, I had one of the most vivid dreams of my life last night. The man with the super-sonic hearing was waiting for me when I got home, only to discover he had broken all my theremins, I wondered why? I think I've been set free...  What upset me most is he did not get the chance to play one and only said he was on his way “home” from Phoenix?

This morning I officially changed my theremin's name from enigma back to illusion. Now I wonder if it is suppose to be named the theremin Phoenix wwp.

Bizarre!

Edit: Thank you man with the super-sonic hearing, I can go now.

Posted: 12/19/2012 7:20:49 PM
Amethyste

I had a dream once that Medusa (my wavefront) was teasing me to stare at her when I was playing. Which i did and froze in the 0 position and kept making the same note sound... Was so strange :)

Posted: 12/20/2012 1:01:29 PM
coalport

I have the ability to hear frequencies that most others cannot hear. On more than one occasion, I have had to ask shopkeepers to deactivate their ultra-sound protection devices because the pressure in my ears was intolerable and I was going to have to leave the store. 

One store owner went into the back, then came out and told me he had turned the device off. He was trying to fool me! The sound was still in the room, and I told him so. 

"Well I'll be damned!" he said. "You really CAN hear that sound!"

This ability has diminished over time, and I don't think I am aware today of the kinds of sounds that really bothered me when I was 18. Curiously, however, I had my hearing checked a few months ago, and the audiologist put me into a small booth that was supposedly sonically "dead".

"Hey, Doctor, you do realize that there is a very faint low hum in this booth which may interfere with my ability to identify the sounds you are sending me."

The doctor assured me that I was imagining things, and I told her she needed to get her ears checked! As it turned out, the office was next door to the local cable company and there was a verifiable, low, borderline infrasound hum in the booth.

Posted: 12/21/2012 1:35:12 AM
Jeff S

Hell, I'm half deaf and I've heard a low hum every time I've stepped into one of those testing booths.  I always assumed it was from some kind of ventilation fan.  It's like they say...when you lose one sense, the others become more acute.  I can't hear vocal frequencies much below 60 dB (which is one reason I'm not a great theremin player), but I am very sensitive to low and subsonic frequencies.

Posted: 12/21/2012 12:00:40 PM
coalport

Jeff, you may have been an elephant (or possibly a whale) in a previous life.

Posted: 12/23/2012 1:29:53 AM
Yeapsystar

Well ... I guess I can come along with some strange dream about theremins story too ... That was even BEFORE I ever "touched" one ...

... It was December 20 2008 or somewhere like that, probably some days later, but anyway ... I ordered my first theremin, actually a theremin kit from Jaycar and my boyfriend would like to build it together, so he did and at the time I had this drea, it was nearly finished ...

Than, one night, I was sleeping on his couch while he was busy with my theremin, and I dreamt that I was in some place or space where there was nothing ... It actually looked all black, but though, the atmosphere wasn't feeling any negative anyway! Than, I saw a theremin in front of me, like it was a Moog Etherwave Plus like I have now, but than transparant and like there was built some lights in, a bit neonish like green & yellow ... Than, someone told me that I was having this dream to train myself some bit to play a theremin ... And yes, so it actually went ... First I played some octave, than from there the highest tone some clear quint and than large tertses ... QUITE funny!

... Than, 3 days after that - it was around December 31 2008 - my theremin was ready and it prooved that my dream had worked out well, as I nearly immediately played simple songs, while a lot of people need to get used to the way of playing a theremin for about 1 till 2 weeks (because of your brain halfs need to get used about it!)

... But the most funniest part of all comes now ... The day after I dreamt this dream and I got this kinda training, my boyfriend asked me like "Marielle, what were you doing yesterday?"and I asked "Why?" "Well" he said "you were waving your hands & arms like you already were playing theremin, haha! That was funny to see!" Yeah ... I guess so it did ... ;-)

Posted: 2/9/2013 11:59:16 PM
ChrisC

I have the ability to hear frequencies that most others cannot hear. On more than one occasion, I have had to ask shopkeepers to deactivate their ultra-sound protection devices because the pressure in my ears was intolerable and I was going to have to leave the store. 

One store owner went into the back, then came out and told me he had turned the device off. He was trying to fool me! The sound was still in the room, and I told him so. 

"Well I'll be damned!" he said. "You really CAN hear that sound!"

This ability has diminished over time, and I don't think I am aware today of the kinds of sounds that really bothered me when I was 18. Curiously, however, I had my hearing checked a few months ago, and the audiologist put me into a small booth that was supposedly sonically "dead".

"Hey, Doctor, you do realize that there is a very faint low hum in this booth which may interfere with my ability to identify the sounds you are sending me."

The doctor assured me that I was imagining things, and I told her she needed to get her ears checked! As it turned out, the office was next door to the local cable company and there was a verifiable, low, borderline infrasound hum in the booth.

Well today I was at a kitchen showroom as my better half wants the new kitchen installed and they were showing off their Siemens induction hobb cooking system.

http://www.hispek.com/siemens/built-in-hobs/siemens-eh975sk11e-iq700-induction-hob-in-black-glass-with-free-2-year-warranty-via-redemption-pd-2829.php?utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=Froogle&utm_campaign=Froogle_Feed&utm_term=EH975SK11E

As soon as it was turned on I could hear a high pitched 'mosquito' type sound. No-one else could hear it. They thought I was just making it up due to the price (ha ha). So, I turned my back and was able to say accurately when the unit was operating or being turned off. It was not difficult.................yet no-one else heard it? Strange.

Posted: 2/10/2013 1:41:11 PM
coalport

"Strange"? Not at all!

You were hearing in the range normally reserved for dogs. You and I should have been featured (with our theremins) in the Puppy Bowl!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.