Theremin heard in Voyage to Bottom Of The Sea

Posted: 3/10/2013 5:29:08 AM
Thomas Grillo

Hello All. Was just watching an episode of Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea. I don't know what episode number it is, but the crew encounters a strange race of rock people who were once crewmen in the navy, or so they claim. In the scene where the crew first encounter them, the theremin soundtrack from Day They Earth Stood Still is heard. It's the sound heard when Gort makes his first appearance just after the flying saucer lands.

Really is amazing how many times sounds, musical themes, and even props get recycled in film, and television. :)

Posted: 3/10/2013 9:55:27 AM
coalport

I was never a fan of the series, but looking over the titles of the episodes on WIKI it seemed to me that the particular episode you are referring to, with the strange race of rock people, might be THE FOSSIL MEN (season 3, episode 18, January 1967). 

If a theremin was used for the sound track, it would be interesting to know who played it. Might it have been a tannerin?

Posted: 3/10/2013 3:09:25 PM
Thomas Grillo

Hi Coalport. That's the episode. I was too tired to go look it up. LOL. Thanks for the search. The moment I heard it, I pulled up the movie Day the earth stood still, and compared the audio with what was heard in that episode. It was a perfect match. It sounded like Irwin Alen lifted the audio straight out of Day The Earth Stood Still just for that episode. I've never heard it in any of the other episodes. Certainly not a tannerin.

Posted: 3/14/2013 7:51:00 PM
ChrisC

I was never a fan of the series, but looking over the titles of the episodes on WIKI it seemed to me that the particular episode you are referring to, with the strange race of rock people, might be THE FOSSIL MEN (season 3, episode 18, January 1967). 

Coalport! Never a fan? Gosh, that was de rigueur viewing when I were a lad. Came home from primary school and sat and watched this series. I was eight years old!

Captain Crane, Admiral Nelson etc. That wobbling (as it exited the water) flying sub!!!

Great days.........................and you have the Fossil Men's speaker too.

Posted: 3/14/2013 10:18:35 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

I only saw one episode I think - maybe none! .. But If I saw it that was when I was on holiday in the U.K. (Living in SA I grew up without TV) .. My one visit to the UK I was about 7, and only remember the names of some programs..  Fireball XL5, Z-Cars (?), and some Sci-Fi thing with an "X" in the title (Not the X files ;-).. But there were others whose names I dont remember.. And I think I remember a wobbling sub, but not sure if that was on XL5 or something else...

Life without TV - It was gut-wrenching to me that I had to only listen to the moon landing and moon walk on the radio - I watched it about a month later on a special videotape screening at the Planitarium.. But in the main, I think not having TV did me more good than harm.

Fred.

Posted: 3/16/2013 12:16:09 AM
coalport

Chris, you're only a wee lad! I was about 20 when the series began and the whole thing seemed puerile, silly and an utter waste of time.

Only now, in my dotage, do I see the profound implications of such great works as these.

Posted: 4/7/2013 4:33:35 AM
Jason

If I recall correctly, I believe the episode "The Mummy" also had theremin in the soundtrack.  Thomas, where did you find the series to watch?  I'd love to see these again.

Posted: 4/7/2013 4:45:08 AM
Thomas Grillo

@Jason: A local tv station's sub-carrier is running METV Network for us, so we get to catch a lot of classics. You might check Amazon instant Video, Hulu, Netflix, and other online streaming services.

Posted: 4/7/2013 7:08:08 AM
Chainsaw Willie!

From: Just a short walk away from Nike Missile Site S-13/14

Jason,

I get Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea on channel 35 KVOS "ME TV" on Dish Network in Redmond.  It is at midnight saturday night, right after Svengoolie hosts bad monster movies (like Count Floyd from SCTV, or even the KIRO Count's Nightmare Theater from the '70s). 

I think KVOS is Seattle local (maybe Bellingham?).

Hey here's a coincidence.  It's midnight Saturday night as I type this. Some Irishmen playing a concertina in a rowboat just got killed by a sea monster...

Dang,  I gotta go bed bed.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.