THEREMIN REACHES OUT AND KILLS NOTEBOOK TOUCH PAD

Posted: 5/5/2013 5:11:40 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"Now if I could kill my garden weeds like that, I'd be all over it!" - Amey

Going somewhat off-topic, Lol - There is a minor flaw... The idea, in itself, might be workable.. Weeds stick up above ground, the roots go down and are, well, well grounded... So - Zap a high enough potential to the protruding weed, and you will induce a current in its entire "body"..

Sufficient current will I imagine cause enough heating to destroy the weeds celular structure..

But getting yourself to high enough potential would be difficult - and zapping the weed with your finger would probably be as fatal to you as to the weed...

But perhaps a portable variation on a tesla setup, with a "applicator" you can zap weeds with...

One would get the added advantage that you could probably find loads of kids willing to zap your garden with lightening bolts, free of charge (in fact, you might even get them paying you! ;-) .. But just be sure they dont get into a fight.... And be sure they dont accidentally zap some crystaline alien entity which has been quietly minding its own business in your garden for the last few millenia.. ;-)

Fred. 

ps.. I like weeds (or most, anyway - the vine types - bind-weed and that class - which strangle other plants are the only ones I really bother with).. I much prefer a wild natural garden.. A Tazer to zap weeds would not be high on my list of things to buy or develop.. But its probably an idea which I could get funding for a lot easier than I can get funding for theremins - So, lets see... Weedkiller Theremins Foundation ...... Or WTF Inc..

Posted: 5/5/2013 5:27:58 PM
GordonC

Of course you could only have one kid weeding at a time. As was said in a film "Don't cross the streams!" I think it was called Weedbusters, or something like that.

Posted: 5/5/2013 5:58:10 PM
dewster

Suggest thread name be changed to "Sentient, Radiating, Ugly Bag Of Water Produces Unexpected EMI In Computational Input Devices".  Call the effect SRUBOWPUEMIICID for short (but don't try to pronounce it).

Posted: 5/5/2013 7:23:11 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"Suggest thread name be changed to "Sentient, Radiating, Ugly Bag Of Water Produces Unexpected EMI In Computational Input Devices". " - Dewster

LOL ;-) .. It would be uncharactaristic for any sentient (particularly if human) "Ugly bag of mostly water" to acknowlege themselves as being a "Ugly bag of mostly water" in this manner!

"Of course you could only have one kid weeding at a time. As was said in a film "Don't cross the streams!" - GordonC

Sadly, as soon as one kid is seen playing with one of these WTF products, all the kids will want one - Weeding will become and (inter)national craze, Nintendos and playstations and other gaming will go into demise.. Nothing "virtual" about WTF!! -

As the advert says:

WTF !?  !!! **** You actually get to kill things! You have lightning at your fingertips! You have the challenge of finding the weeds first and zapping them! - You can select your stratergy - to minimise collateral damage to innocent plants, or to say "WTF!!"  If you are "evil" you can target valuable plants and destroy those - You can go out into the garden (or other peoples gardens) at midnight and fill the darkness will bright flashes, loud cracks of "thunder" and the smell of ozone.. !!! ****

Fortunately, the risk of crossing the "beams" does not have a strong likelyhood - the potentials on the emmitters will be positive, and the "beams" will repel each other..

This will not, however, eliminate the risk that some kid will regard their "friend" as a "weed" and zap them - But this is (as per MAD) a sales advantage - every unprotected weed is vulnerable - but a weed armed with a WTF is (of course) less likely to become the victim of a WTF attack - As is shown by the *fact* that weeds armed with automatic weapons are less likely to be shot than weeds who are unarmed...

Apart from which, threads like this are much more fun than those discussing technical matters such as SRUBOWPUEMIICID ! ;-)

Fred.

Posted: 5/5/2013 8:09:01 PM
Thomas Grillo

A cattle prod, or tazer should do a real treat. Eh? ;)

Posted: 5/5/2013 8:18:07 PM
FredM

"A cattle prod, or tazer should do a real treat. Eh? ;)" - Thomas

For me or for weeds ?  ;-)

I am talking Lightning bolts! - Not some piddly 50kV or thereabouts! - You know! - WMD league, Shock and Awe!

Cattle prods and tazers just tickle weeds..

A well grounded thereminist...

"Bag" of mostly water..

But is it (A) Ugly ? and / or (B) Sentient ?

Or is the theremin containing, as it does, crystaline structures and far less water, perhaps less "ugly" and perhaps even more "sentient" ?

Posted: 5/5/2013 8:30:45 PM
Thomas Grillo

Oh, I see, you want that 1.21 gigga-Watts then! :) LOL

Posted: 5/11/2013 4:02:52 AM
Thomas Grillo

UPDATE: Chromebook engineering team just bought a theremin to observe the effect at their end.

Posted: 5/11/2013 6:15:57 AM
FredM

"UPDATE: Chromebook engineering team just bought a theremin to observe the effect at their end." - Thomas

LOL ;-) .. Well, thats one way to sell theremins, I suppose!  ;-)

Must admit that I am seriously impressed though! I hardly imagine that they have been overwhelmed by complaints that their Chromebook's were being messed up by theremins - lets see - potential loss of sales to thereminists - not enough to warrant even the time required to examine the problem, let alone buy a theremin..

So I recon there's some wanna-be thereminist on their engineering team - Way to get a free theremin and spend time with it at company expense!

Superb!

;-)

Are they going to buy the full range of theremins ? Moog, Burns, Penga.. And what about the many users of theremins no longer in production? Wouldnt want them to miss out on the Chromebook! - So.. E-Pro, E-Vox, T-Vox.. And dont forget the RCA! ;-)

Hey - There are 16 H1's sonewhere in the UK... 16!! (and one special minimalist  version going out in a couple of days)- I am the only possible source of another one! - What can I charge them for such a rare instrument ?

(dont tell them that all they really need is a HF signal generator, antenna, and some bourns inductors, and they can check the effect of any theremin)

Posted: 5/11/2013 1:29:29 PM
Thomas Grillo

Hello FredM. LOL ;)

Yeh, they already know from my testing reults here, that it's just the Moog Music Etherwave Standard, Pro, and Wavefront which affect the touch pad. Can't speak for th Pegna, Subscope, and a few others that you've mentioned though.

You should go have a look at the Chromebook support threads to see all the coms relating to this. Some good humor developing out of it too. :)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.