First theremin purchase

Posted: 9/10/2013 7:50:41 PM
Zackscellphone

Hey gang! I am about to purchase my first pitch only theremin, and have a couple questions.  Mainly, which has the best quality or options (I notice some have more than just volume control).  I think it would be fun to build an enclosure for one but fully made is ok too.  I want to keep it to 150 or so.  So far, I've noticed the theremaniacs pre-soldered kit, theremax pre-soldered kit, and the zep theremin.  For now I just want to fool around and maybe try for some simple melodys but I figure why buy a piece of crap if I can spend a bit more and get something better.  Any input would be great. Thanks!  Paul

Posted: 9/10/2013 9:05:44 PM
Chobbs

Dont buy a pitch only theremin-  it is like trying to learn on a toy guitar.

Moog Etherwave standard would be a good choice- a bit more than 150 but it is worthwhile investment.  Used would be cheaper, naturally-  Dewster was selling his here in the buy/sell forums.  looks like a bargain.

Posted: 9/10/2013 9:07:39 PM
Touchless

Hey there Paul,

There are thousands of theremins sitting in closets around the world. Forget the 150 pesos or what ever you mean. Only buy a used EtherWave Standard for $200 - $250 and you will be able to resell it for the same amount without taking a loss. Buy something for 150 and you will lose 150 and most likely not like it. I enjoy the re-sale of theremins and the name Moog carries the most weight.

If you are in New Jersey I see one in the lower post that is a good deal if you can do a drive by to pick it up. If you are near Tucson I will give you one. (-'

T

Posted: 9/10/2013 10:24:58 PM
Zackscellphone

Is it possible to bypass the volume antenna to a volume pedal?  

Posted: 9/11/2013 6:41:19 AM
GordonC

Yes. Rotate the theremin clockwise by 90 degrees (if you are right handed. If you are left handed, anticlockwise.)

This will disengage the volume loop and cause the theremin to behave like a pitch only theremin.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.