Effects area please?

Posted: 11/11/2013 10:59:34 AM
Explorer

As a synthesist and guitar effect user in another life, I have extensively used effects gear to alter the tone and timbre of monophonic instruments.

I've wanted to start some conversations here, but they don't really have to do with technique, or construction, or composition. They're about effects, whether fuzz, chorus, pitchshifting, and so on.

I do recognize that, like some acoustic gutarists (no amplification or effects) or electric guitarists ("Your tone should only come from your guitar and amp!"), some thereminists might only approve of the tones which come from an instrument's circuitry. However, I do think I'm not the only one who is actively exploring this area.

Could an effects forum be implemented?

Posted: 11/11/2013 12:26:17 PM
coalport

We have discussed FX and their use with the theremin a lot here in TW, usually under the heading of THEREMIN GENERAL.

Posted: 11/11/2013 3:43:02 PM
Explorer

I did a search, and found various topics all over the place under the word "effect"... but not in one place. General, Technique, whatever.

And that was on the word "effect." In other words, if someone were to talk about the Talking Box without using the word "effect," that wouldn't be revealed to the uninitiated.

And that's why I'd rather wait to post ideas, links, examples, until newcomers like myself could easily go to an area and find that stuff. I'd rather not just put it anywhere and have it get buried. I'd want it to be useful to others.

Also, just in my own defense, I normally *hate* having to ask about things which have already been posted. I'd rather do the searches and read the results. My inability to consistently find everytihng relevant either reflects my inability to find it easily, or that most theremin players who have already found the site just aren't interested.

But I'm just a newcomer, and if this isn't interesting or hard to find for those who are already hardcore users of the site and instrument, as opposed to theoretical newbies who are investigating whether or not to take the plunge, I can respect that.

Admin, your thoughts?

Posted: 11/11/2013 4:55:47 PM
coalport

C'mon Jason. 

Explorer has a good idea for a new FX forum. Let's do it!

Posted: 11/11/2013 9:09:24 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Yeah - I think its a great idea too..

perhaps "Amps and Effects" though ?

Posted: 11/13/2013 1:54:36 AM
gtc

Jason may not be reading every post, so a PM to him about this may be a good move.

Posted: 11/13/2013 2:18:21 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Jason,

The theory forum had a brief spurt of life, but it was, I think, one of my BAD ideas .. Content which should be in the construction forum 'bleeds' into it, and it probably causes more confusion rather than less.. And I think I was probably the only one posting any "theory" there, and I aint doing that no more!

If there is a problem about having too many forums, perhaps the threads in the "theory" forum could be moved to "construction" and the effects forum replace it ?

Fred.

Posted: 11/13/2013 2:19:57 AM
Explorer

Thanks for the suggestion. I've sent a PM.

Posted: 11/13/2013 4:40:47 AM
Jason

Yeah... you folks do realize I have a day job that keeps me insanely busy, right? :)  PMs are definitely the best way to get my attention quickly.

Awesome idea!  I just added the new forum.  This is very timely.  I actually have some videos in the works to demo some theremin+effects stuff too.  I hope to post them by the end of the month if all goes well. 

Enjoy the new forum!  I can't wait to see what you all come up with to discuss in there!

Posted: 11/13/2013 6:30:40 AM
Explorer

Wow! I'm cracking at work with the holidays, but now I have to start recording and polishing! *laugh*

Thanks!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.