Possibly a "new" theremin topology, and links to related background

Posted: 12/5/2013 12:40:33 AM
dewster

"The great effort at consultation with players that builders go through is an empty exercise in theremin fellowship and camaraderie - it's terrific fun but it is empty and has borne no fruit."  - coalport

I really do look at Theremin videos with an eye toward how the player is playing, and avidly listen to their words regarding playing and technique, and read their comments here.  Not consultation exactly, but I've learned a lot and will hopefully learn more through active interaction with players.  I do feel that I sing and play guitar well enough to give myself a fair amount of general "musician" input to what I'm trying to do technically.  Musical instrument designers that don't have at least one instrument more or less under their belt tend to have a blind side - I think that's the real issue here.  Instrument design, particularly the electronic variety, requires an unusual blend of deep skills to do well - consultation / collaboration will only get you so far.

"I think all the talk about theremin building and the "new topology" and revolutionary "mostly digital" designs etc., is GREAT and a lot of people really love it, but it has been going on for years and has produced nothing of value that I am aware of other than pleasure for those who participate in it."

Entirely accurate and fair assessment, as no one has really put their money where their mouth is yet.  Who knows if / when that might happen.  Nonetheless, I feel the field has been moved forward a bit, something the Theremin desperately needs IMO.

I will say that I've learned tremendously from FredM, he's chock full of incredible ideas and the Theremin field is quite lucky to have him.

Posted: 12/5/2013 1:27:06 AM
RS Theremin

The theremin must be pursued for the love of the art. As I have said the market is about twenty people world wide and that does not mean they want a new theremin. Everyone knows the features they prefer in the instrument. I wish I could hear what sound non-heterodyning would produce. Always silence. It does not have to be an actual theremin but let me experience this artificial sound that might re-capture people’s interest over the power of an instrument that connects to the past.

I have a folder of over 1000 people (unique emails) that built my design over the years, that is theremin love and they would surely have some residual love left today.

I only know of one thing that could regenerate world theremin interest and that relies on the cooperation of several people, if it happens it will be in 2014. Humans… they are a funny species as some believe “our destinations have been preordained”, if that is true then it will happen.

Christopher

Posted: 12/5/2013 2:07:30 AM
dewster

Ancient electronics do have a quaint aspect to them, and it was remarkable what Theremin was able to accomplish with the electronic equivalent of stone knives and bearskins.

One hobby of mine is analyzing the sound technology underlying digital pianos via spectral analysis and a special diagnostic MIDI file.  It's amazing what manufacturers don't want to tell you about basic technical specs like sample size, stretching, looping, etc.  Anyway, I was once accused of missing the soul of the instrument.  This, while I was actively uncovering why almost no DP could ever get anywhere near having a soul (tiny butchered sample sets, audibly artifacted compression, horrid sympathetic resonance, etc.). 

There's a moral here but I forget.

Posted: 12/5/2013 9:31:44 AM
Thierry

Posted: 12/5/2013 3:51:11 PM
RS Theremin

Fred said: "I am not leaving TW - but I am leaving this thread .. I will advise you when I publish this stuff elsewhere. I will maintain communications privately with those interested in advancing theremins from an engineering / technical perspective."

If you follow posting from the webpage window: Forum/Recent Posts   A thread is just a thread.

There is no place to go and no one is following our great theremin discoveries?

When I was a kid along with some friends we were walking down a road and there was this critter laying off to the side. We found sticks and started poking it, I went for the eyes. The truth was found when we rolled it over.

Christopher

Posted: 12/5/2013 9:05:49 PM
Thierry

"Christopher -

The reason there isnt a lively TW Theremin development either completed, or coming to completion right now IS YOU!" - Fred

Fred, I think that this is too much honor for Christopher. How could he who sits not only on the other side of the big pond but also on the other side of the North-American continent prevent you from bearing your theremin? That sounds like a lame excuse...

Posted: 12/6/2013 4:16:37 PM
RS Theremin

Fred - One time you helped me with noise in my sound and I thank you for that, any feedback in this theremin community is to be cherished. On that same day you mocked me because I could not hear pitch effectively. I thought your teaching style was rather abrasive as I am trying to learn theremin electronics, then everything fell apart when I asked you to share your sound byte after your five year journey. So here we are today, more feedback than I ever hoped for.

Christopher

Thank goodness for the roll over

Wow nine posts deleted ahead of mine, does that now make me king of the Hill? Agree or I will get my stick. 0-'

Posted: 10/31/2014 1:02:06 PM
sztepcb

Hello friend ! This is Henry ! The PCB manufacturer from China .

Our site : www.szte-pcb.com , my email : henry@szte-pcb.com , my skype : henrypi2012

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.