American Horror Story

Posted: 1/10/2014 5:36:50 PM
Dmi

This week's episode of AHS had a scene in which theremin was prominently featured.  Frances Conroy mimed playing an Etherwave.  Does anyone know who recorded the track?  I really liked the sound he/she got.

Posted: 1/10/2014 6:19:31 PM
Kuli Schreiber

Myrtle Snows playing is really witchcraft.. Hers EWS produce some pc effect sound through switched off amp:-)

Posted: 1/10/2014 7:00:59 PM
Dmi

Clearly I assumed that the backing track was a real theremin playing (although before they showed the instrument onscreen, I thought it was musical saw).  It makes sense that they'd use some sort of simulated theremin rather than hire a thereminist.

I did enjoy Cordelia's reaction to the music.  I wonder how many times my audiences have had a similar response.

Posted: 1/10/2014 8:53:10 PM
Dmi

Cordelia: What is that thing? It's hideous and weird.
Myrtle: Don't be a hater, dear. It's a theremin.

Posted: 1/11/2014 12:48:47 PM
Kuli Schreiber

yes, she lost my sympathy for that, hehe

there is also one strange thing about her performance. If I would live in so big house where they live, I would play in better place than in the greenhouse with little space around..

but good episode anyway

Posted: 2/1/2014 11:36:54 AM
coalport

I haven't seen AN AMERICAN HORROR STORY but here is a YT clip from the cliffhanger  featuring Frances Conroy (she played 'mother' in SIX FEET UNDER) playing the Etherwave theremin.

Unfortunately, what we are hearing on the soundtrack is not a theremin. It is a keyboard synth imitating a theremin.

DAUGHTER: What is that thing? It's hideous and weird!

MOTHER: Don't be a hater dear. It's a theremin. I cannot tell you how playing this instrument soothes my soul in tempestuous times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0lFjsj2S9g

Posted: 2/1/2014 3:50:01 PM
Kuli Schreiber

Maybe I'm not in a position where I should comment, but I think that this is one of many examples of delude about how should the theremin sound. Even though it brings a lot of people to this beautiful instrument then just to be later disappointed that it sounds completely different..

Posted: 2/1/2014 9:37:47 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"Unfortunately, what we are hearing on the soundtrack is not a theremin. It is a keyboard synth imitating a theremin." - Coalport

"Even though it brings a lot of people to this beautiful instrument then just to be later disappointed that it sounds completely different" - Kuli Schreiber

Dont worry about that!  Moog Musick is fixing that by bringing out their theremini, which sounds just like a crappy WT keyboard!

A "keyboard synth [badly] imitating a theremin." " but where the keyboard is replaced with a capacitive sensor, is exactly what the theremini is!

Yeah, its an "American Horror Story" alright! (the keyboard in the video actually is almost passable as a theremin IMO, unlike anything I have heard from the theremini..)

;-)

Fred.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.