Need guidelines for making ckt board

Posted: 2/17/2014 1:15:36 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"I never look up every single word which I write. The English verb "to deceive" has the same roots as the French "décevoir". "Être déçu", literally translated "being deceived", means for me logically that you just did not get what you expected. There is neither dishonesty nor wronging implied." - Thierry

Fine -

Make that mistake ONCE, as you did to me on a post which caused me great anger, and which, after I had explained and understood your perspective, and we had agreed it was no more than a linguistic misunderstanding, and "patched up"..

But do it again, and its NOT an error - Its NOT a misunderstanding - Its  DELIBERATE.

You KNEW exactly what you were implying when you posted the words "deeply decieved", because you made the same "mistake" before, and were corrected and advised of the offensive nature of what you said, from an english speakers perspective - And I now suspect that you knew it the other times you used this OFFENSIVE word, but used language as an excuse.

Dishonesty and "wronging" is not only "implied" it is ASSERTED when you use this word is used by English speakers.

We are being DECIEVED by you! - And I mean this from an English perspective!

But to hell with all the above - I am waiting for you to explain how a correctly built YAEWSBM can damage the oscillators.. Do that, and I will make an apology and leave TW permanently! - in fact, I would even be extremely interested in knowing how a faulty YAEWSBM can damage the oscillators if fitted with the 15pF isolation capacitors intact.. The only way I can see is if these capacitors were shorted and taken to a low-Z point like ground or supplies.... But your EPS01 would "blow up the oscillators" if you did the same with it!

Fred.

Posted: 2/17/2014 3:20:31 PM
Thierry

@FredM: You might be deceived by me, but do not write "we are...". It's only you who is upset for a ridiculous reason. You are projecting your own "negativity" onto me while thinking by yourself that I knew exactly what I was implying. Do you really think that, seen my number of postings on TW, I still remember months or years later such linguistic subtleties? No, I don't! Because for me it's about (technical and musical) content.

I will not longer accept your artificially blown up pseudo rage for such minor causes (is it my fault if the Brits gave another meaning to something which was once the same word?), as long as you don't master French and German at the same (not very elevated) level that I do in English.

You wrote: "But to hell with all the above - I am waiting for you to explain how the buffers can blow up the oscillators.. Do that, and I will make an apology and leave TW permanently!"

I'm not sure that I will be able to explain how that happened. I will (as promised above) look up my notes from last summer tonight and write down here what the owner of the instrument told me and what I found when I had it in my hands. Then, after knowing detailed facts (without any form of "interpretation" from my side), everybody may or may not find their conclusions. And I'll do that not because you are actually behaving here in an irrational way as if you were suffering from PMS, but to see if a real "cause" of the problems can be found with dewster's help and experience.

Posted: 2/17/2014 3:30:34 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Thierry,

You had absolutely no involvement in this thread until the YAEWSBM was mentioned -

Then you came to post PURELY to put people off the YAEWSBM and sell your board - If you had come offering your circuit diagram and saying why you believed it was a better choice than the YAEWSBM, that would have been fine and honerable.

But to come here and TELL LIES about the YAEWSBM..

That is OUTRAGEOUS!!!

Fred.

If you dont know that the YAEWSBM caused the oscillators to fail, you had no right to imply that it was in any way responsible for this failure.. And you are now saying that you dont know!!!

Oh, just an aside - I dont suffer from PMS - I suffer from insulin / blood sugar fluctuations.. Insulin was used as a truth-drug by many regimes.. It causes people to speak their mind without DECEPTION.

Perhaps you should try it.

Posted: 2/17/2014 3:46:24 PM
Thierry

What I wrote was:

"The ESPE01 circuit is very different from dewster's yaewsbm."

Who, if not me can tell that since I developed the ESPE01 circuit?

"You used the latter which gives a different result and has never been tested, played and/or approved by one of the professional thereminists."

I never heard Lydia, Carolina, Thorwald or Wilco say a word about the yaewsbm or play them on an instrument equipped with it.

"I had already one Etherwave with a self made (by the client) yaewbsm and defective pitch oscillators on my workbench. The deeply deceived owner asked me to take the yaewsbm out, fix the oscillators and install the ESPE01."

Out of the obviously questionable choice of the word "deceived" which should better have been replaced by "disappointed", there is nothing wrong with these sentences. I took especially care when writing them to not to choose words which would imply a causal relationship between the yaewsbm and the oscillators' problem.

"Be careful!"

That is a kind but unspecific advice.

So, where are the so-called lies? They exist only in your imagination and/or interpretation, Fred! Fact is that you are aggressing and insulting me for no obvious reason.

Are you sure that you will not feel ashamed about your actual behavior when you re-read this discussion thread in a few weeks?

Posted: 2/17/2014 4:16:25 PM
FredM

I remember a long time ago (2008 / 2009) I was deeply involved in a thread here which started as an enquiry about improving the EW's bass response.

This thread extended into a sequence of about 4 threads, discussing possible adaptions. You were seen as the EW expert, and your opinions highly regarded..

One of my suggestions was to buffer the oscillators prior to mixing - I believed that this might stop the problems the original enquirer was having .. You attacked that idea as unworkable, on the grounds that the EW linearity was dependant on oscillator coupling - I then suggested partial capacitive coupling of the oscillators prior to buffering, so that some advantages of linearity might be retained but that the problems caused by tight coupling were reduced.. You scorned this idea.

It was early days in my "theremin journey" and you were the established EW expert - I did not even own an EW, and was dependant on others experimenting and feeding back to TW - so I did not persue the matter.

A long time afterwards, your ESP01 came to market - It consists of buffers on both oscillators, as I had suggested.

When Dewster published his YAEWSBM here on TW you went for him violently, and talked a load of utter crap about the risks to oscillators and variants of the EW circuit etc .. And claimed to have been working on and even demonstrating your buffer circuit long before I had proposed buffering.

So the real question, one I have avoided asking because I really didnt want this conflict, is this:

Did you, in fact, give false and misleading information regarding buffering the EW oscillators, because you were working on this and didnt want the public TW thread to go in that direction.. ?

Or did you in fact get the idea from that thread, and discover that your assertions there had been wrong - ?

You see, as I see it, it can only be one of those two options.

And neither of those is in any way honerable! If you deliberately mislead the TW thread, that is disgusting.. And if you got the idea from the thread, you really should have published you circuit, or at the very least acknowledged the contribution of that thread and corrected your errors.

Fred.

Posted: 2/17/2014 4:34:58 PM
Touchless

What I find interesting about theremin sound is everyone processes it somewhat, without giving full disclosure of all the methods they use in the recorded sample. Then they brush it off as playing style or shape of the volume hand. I am fine with this if you are not selling anything. Newbies need to know and to learn all the tricks from those professed as teachers. This brings up the question of why the thread in question below is frozen in the database so no one can bring it into the light for discussion. Who has this power, something fishy going on here? Click it an you get logged off TW, so below will open in a new window to keep original page logged in.

Edit: Link opens properly now, keeps you logged in.

http://thereminworld.com/Forums/T/28485/yaewsbm---yet-another-etherwave-standard-bass-mod

T

That EWS homemade circuit board looks interesting but would you advise those following in your footsteps to just buy the board completed and tested for $96?

Posted: 2/17/2014 5:32:26 PM
Thierry

Fred, please unpack and extend your paranoia elsewhere.

I just went over the old discussion threads on TW. They started in May/June 2009 on a pure theoretical basis. I had a working but not yet so good prototype in my Etherwave in March 2009 in Lippstadt during the Without Touch festival. I discussed it with the attendants, let them try it out and noted their critics. In fact, my early prototypes suffered exactly from the problems which I described later in a more abstract way here on TW, just without telling that I had already gone through that and how I solved them, to prevent others from making the same mistakes. So there never were dishonest intentions.

When I became aware during Summer 2009 of the fact that the discussions here on TW often picked up the same issues which I had experienced just a few months before, as if someone was lurking from time to time through the keyhole of my atelier door, I simply stopped partaking in the corresponding discussion threads just to prevent people from constructing this weird argumentation against me as you do it now. I really can't understand your aggressive behavior against me. I only can suspect that you are not yourself for the moment and I hope that you find back to your normal operating mode soon.

Posted: 2/17/2014 6:08:51 PM
betabox

This is my EW Theremin based on wannes_dn' s board, with a few modifications

Theremin

EW Theremin PCB V3

Posted: 2/17/2014 7:19:22 PM
Thierry

Betabox, that looks really nice! I see a 5th potentiometer on the front panel ?!? If I'm right, may I ask what its purpose is?

Posted: 2/17/2014 7:58:53 PM
wannes_dn

"That would be good!" - Blala

You can find my latest eagle files here. After some suggestions from Betabox I rearranged some components in order to remove tracks between the emitter and collector pads. I also removed the AC tracks leading from the power supply to the the 10X1 pin header. Instead i placed a 1X2 header (jp1) to connect the switch to.

img

I am also working on a board for the 5 potentiometer + the headphone amp circuit. If you want to use it, just let me know.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.