Seeking a Teacher

Posted: 2/16/2014 12:35:53 AM
Amethyste

Hello :)

What are you trying to achieve on the theremin? What are your expectation from a theremin teacher?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm in North Oshawa, Ontario.  I'm hoping that learning the theremin doesn't become yet another thing on the gigantic list of stuff I've done alone.  I'm desperately seeking a theremin teacher anywhere in the Greater Toronto Area.

Posted: 2/16/2014 1:17:54 PM
coalport

What? You mean there is now a "NORTH" Oshawa? 

I can clearly recall when all of Oshawa would have fitted nicely onto a small dinner plate! I used to look forward to driving through Oshawa on the way to Cobourg when I was a kid (early 1950's, before the 401) because I'd get to see the orthodox church with the weird double-armed "Byzantine" cross on top of it. 

Posted: 2/17/2014 1:52:21 AM
Amethyste

Please read your messages ~ I have suggestions for you.

Posted: 2/17/2014 12:54:58 PM
coalport

What you are going to have to come to terms with is that you have set your sights on learning to play what is arguably the most difficult musical instrument ever invented. People often think that since the theremin has no physical interface, such as a keyboard or a fingerboard, that making music will be relatively easy because it will just flow naturally through the free movements of their hands and arms in the air.

If it is your intention to make sound effects, or to create music that is "aleatoric" ("chance music" produced by random waves of your hands) then the theremin is ideal. If, however, you want to play melodies with accuracy and precision then you should be prepared for a lot of hard work.

When RCA first introduced the instrument in 1929, the publicity brochures said:  "Anyone can begin to play the theremin on the same footing with the finest cellist, pianist or other instrumentalist in the world! A child...an elderly lady...a skilled musician...a blind man....all can learn to play this incredible instrument with exactly the same facility! It is destined to be the universal musical instrument; people will play it as easily and naturally as they now write or walk."

This was a lie, and a misrepresentation of the instrument that RCA was forced to drop like a hot potato two years later. A more realistic appraisal of the difficulty involved came many years later from Clara Rockmore, the greatest thereminist who has ever lived:

"The theremin is much more difficult than the violin, which I played for years.......People expect to go over to the theremin and IT PLAYS. No! It takes hard work, sensitivity, sensibility....attention to detail. You have to learn it and it's not easy. The music comes from the heart, the mind, and years and years and years of the study of music." 

No one should be discouraged from taking up the theremin - it is an extraordinary and rewarding instrument - but to avoid disappointment I think people should realistically consider the difficulty of the undertaking. 

Posted: 2/18/2014 12:39:01 PM
Amethyste

From the private message exchanges we've had, *I* do not feel that I can help you. I wish you the best in your quest to find the perfect teacher. 

Posted: 2/18/2014 7:56:11 PM
RSchwim

Maybe you could do a Skype situation...

Posted: 2/18/2014 8:27:35 PM
Amethyste

Rob ~

Don't even get him started, I messaged him offering help (with the idea of Skype lessons), with  names of wonderful teachers that could do a skype lessons for him ~ but he rudely told me in several private messages that "SKYPE LESSONS WILL NOT WORK FOR ME!" What he seems to not understand is that available theremin teachers are super rare to find and most people who want to learn the theremin from willing and good theremin teachers, will either have to fly to them to a workshop or do a skype lesson.

I think it is pretty rude to insult me even through private messages (with condescending name calling, what a treat!!) ~ that I have wasted YOUR time by not helping you BECAUSE YOU ARE DESPERATELY SEEKING A TEACHER IN THE GREATER TORONTO AREA .

Well, YOU HAVE WASTED MY time by trying to be helpful to YOU ~ CAUSE THERE ARE NO TEACHERS IN THE AREA WHERE YOU ARE! YOU SEEM TO NOT "GET" that there are maybe 5 teachers in the world that are able to teach the theremin (and WANT to). So please spare me the insults and get on with the program.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maybe you could do a Skype situation...

Posted: 2/18/2014 8:28:31 PM
Touchless

holophrastic before you burn all the bridges there are only about two or three people in the "World" that might be available to help you. If you want someone down the street you are going to have to relocate. You seem a bit ornery so the theremin is perfect for you. (-:

With effort on your part what you want to learn can be taught in about 10 minutes.

T

Posted: 2/18/2014 11:17:06 PM
RSchwim

If nothing else at least you've explained clearly why you're alone

Posted: 2/18/2014 11:58:23 PM
Amethyste

I have never done this before, but this guy is rude, condescending and patronizing... I certainly do not want others to go through thus kind of treatment. For your reading pleasure. Here is part the conversation starting with me answering his request for a teacher... :

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.