A ____ of Thereminists?

Posted: 3/18/2014 3:59:44 PM
RSchwim

A friend wrote to me after watching a NY Theremin Society workshop video with multiple thereminists.

He asked: "What is the collective noun for players of that instrument? My first thought was: "A Vogue of Thereminists" but I think I've settled on "A Sideband of Thereminists."

My initial though would be "a clusterfuck of thereminists" but that will never make it into the paper. Suggestions or has this already been determined around the time of the 10 theremin Carnegie Hall concert of yore?

Thoughts on this critical issue?

Rob

Posted: 3/18/2014 4:32:22 PM
dewster

Making it up (since murder is already taken):

A waggle of Thereminists.

A quaver of Thereminists.

A shimmer of Thereminists.

A flutter of Thereminists.

A cacophony of Thereminists.

A jangle of Thereminists.

I'm kind of partial to waggle, kind of like a gaggle of geese.

Posted: 3/18/2014 5:04:17 PM
RS Theremin

Carnegie Hall Thereminist Convergence

Interrelation of Thereminists *

A Clustering of Thereminist

Fraternization of Thereminist

Concurrence of Thereminist

Collaboration of Thereminist

Are prizes awarded? (-'

Posted: 3/18/2014 5:31:11 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

An  interference of Thereminists.

A  crosstalk of Thereminists.

A  beat of Thereminists.

A  heterodyne of Thereminists.

A  Modulation of Thereminists.

Posted: 3/18/2014 5:44:09 PM
RSchwim

A friend suggests "a swoon of thereminists"

There's something kinda nice about that

Posted: 3/18/2014 6:05:18 PM
dewster

A Schwimmer of Thereminists.

Posted: 3/18/2014 7:00:58 PM
Chobbs

I was there- it definitely was a mess of thereminists.

Posted: 3/18/2014 7:14:44 PM
randy george

An assemblage of thereminists... It seems to me like the most pleasant, unambiguous and non-confusing group noun.

Posted: 3/18/2014 9:16:57 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"I was there- it definitely was a mess of thereminists." - Chobbs

LOL ;-)

Ive been at a few of those type of gatherings.. "Rabble" is a word that comes to mind..

Question - how can we get a collective noun for thereminists when we cannot even define what a thereminist is (or who is a "true" thereminist, LOL ;-) - We cannot even define waht a true theremin is ..

Ok, im being a bore here - but is there a collective noun that encompasses ALL musicians ?

Lets see - theres "band" and "ensemble" and "score" and "orchestra" - but there are musicians who dont fit into some of those collective nouns but do fit into others.. Whats the collective noun for harp players, or pianists, or any player of any instrument ?

Isnt it more the genre than the instrument that defines the musicians collective noun ?

But heres some more:

• A tribe  
  • A congregation
  • A capacitance
  • A force
  • An E-field
  • An array
  • An OCD
  • A TW
  • A Network
  • A LevNet
  • ;-)

Fred

Posted: 3/19/2014 1:07:11 AM
Amethyste

yes ... A ;) of thereminists.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I was there- it definitely was a mess of thereminists." - Chobbs

LOL ;-)

Ive been at a few of those type of gatherings.. "Rabble" is a word that comes to mind..

Question - how can we get a collective noun for thereminists when we cannot even define what a thereminist is (or who is a "true" thereminist, LOL ;-) - We cannot even define waht a true theremin is ..

Ok, im being a bore here - but is there a collective noun that encompasses ALL musicians ?

Lets see - theres "band" and "ensemble" and "score" and "orchestra" - but there are musicians who dont fit into some of those collective nouns but do fit into others.. Whats the collective noun for harp players, or pianists, or any player of any instrument ?

Isnt it more the genre than the instrument that defines the musicians collective noun ?

But heres some more:

• A tribe  
  • A congregation
  • A capacitance
  • A force
  • An E-field
  • An array
  • An OCD
  • A TW
  • A Network
  • A LevNet
  • ;-)

Fred

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.