Benefits to theremin without volume antenna

Posted: 8/23/2014 5:09:38 PM
mgavery

I've been wanting to buy a theremin for a long time and am ready to finally purchase one.  My question is, is there any benefit to having a theremin with just the pitch antenna (no volume antenna) like the zep theremin as opposed to a theremin with both the volume and pitch antennas like the Burns B3?

I'm looking to use the theremin to make sonic soundscapes (Hawkwind) in a live setting and intend on running it through multiple effects including a tape drive echo (EP3), phaser (russian small stone), and tremolo/vibrato (EH Wiggler).  I see the advantage of being able to manipulate the theremin's volume, but am concerned having to operate two antennas while also concentrating on other effects might be too much in a live setting.  

Suggestions?

Posted: 8/23/2014 5:28:51 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"I'm looking to use the theremin to make sonic soundscapes (Hawkwind) in a live setting and intend on running it through multiple effects including a tape drive echo (EP3), phaser (russian small stone), and tremolo/vibrato (EH Wiggler). " - mgavery

Hi mgavery,

I am not recommending this - never seen one 'in the flesh'.. But it may be of interest to you. The pedal might be easier to control and you can get the volume antenna as we;; if you want.

For soundscapes in the cosmic genre, this might be fine.. But as I say, I really dont know ;-)

http://www.thereminworld.com/Forums/T/30367/new-theremin-nano-from-poland?Page=0

Also, worth remembering that its real easy to get a theremin with volume antenna to play continuously - often just unplug the volume loop / antenna! ;-) .. or dont go near the loop -  That way, if you find you need volume control at some future time, you dont need to go and buy another theremin.

For Hawkwind I would be looking at getting a theremin with an output waveform rich in harmonics, and feeding this into a VCF - mellower theremins might not sound raucous enough unless fed through a distortion unit first - Wont get that Orgone accumulation! and certainly wont approximate a Sonic Attack! ;-)

Are you primarily retro-electronic? As in, are you using old analogue CV synths? Because if you are, then spending a bit more the CV output from the EW+ could be used to great effect driving VCO's and VCF's.

Fred.

For those who dont know Hawkwind!  ;-)

This is a mild version of Sonic Attack - The original freaks me out a little so god knows how much it might disturb others:

Posted: 8/23/2014 5:29:52 PM
Touchless

Hey mgavery - Buy a used EtherWave Standard for the ideal theremin. You should be able to find one for $200 and add one of the many Mods from the brilliant mind of Thierry who makes things to share rather than talks about them. Using a single pole switch that is on-off-on contacts allows you to have the volume always on or have it always off (mute) or work like normal. How is mentioned below

http://www.thereminworld.com/Forums/T/30329/how-do-i-disable-the-ews-volume-loop

T

Posted: 8/23/2014 5:54:58 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"one of the many Mods from the brilliant mind of Thierry who makes things to share rather than talks about them. " - T

Thierry makes things to sell. Those you HOUND and STALK and TROLL continuously actually SHARE FREELY their ideas and circuits and software !

Fred.

Posted: 8/24/2014 6:08:41 AM
Touchless

Thierry makes things to sell. Those you HOUND and STALK and TROLL continuously actually SHARE FREELY their ideas and circuits and software ! - Fred

Fred do you have some sort of a medical issue?  I post maybe three or four time a week when I can help someone. If you believe I am stalking you then it is because you piss on every post in the neighborhood. Look at how many times your name is on a recent post forum list verses mine. Of course it would appear I am following you when I walk by the same post on the street where you have already raised your leg.

T

Posted: 8/24/2014 12:05:35 PM
xtheremin8

hello mgavrey,

hope your still around and enjoyed these clips. and...distortion is truth. (from "hand made electonics" by nicholas colins)

volume pedal ?

a nice day to all

Posted: 8/24/2014 12:32:56 PM
FredM

"you piss on every post in the neighborhood. Look at how many times your name is on a recent post forum list verses mine. Of course it would appear I am following you when I walk by the same post on the street where you have already raised your leg." -Troll

Hey Troll,

Post under what I post, post wherever you want, fill up the recent posts with your posts - I couldn't care less... But when you post irrelevant off-topic snide attacks of folks who contribute freely to TW with technical information and ideas, expect me to respond !

Fred.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.