Forums search

Posted: 9/9/2014 5:11:22 AM
Jason

Ugh... I just realized that the forums searchbox actually searches the whole web, not just our forums.  I'll try to get that fixed up soon.  I'm working on a new theme for the site that should make it much more usable on mobile devices.  Hope to have that ready in a few weeks.

Posted: 9/10/2014 10:22:31 AM
gtc

As ever, many thanks for your efforts here.

Blocking the tsunami of spam is also much appreciated.

Posted: 10/28/2014 10:13:03 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Now moved this posting twice! - I think it may fit best here..

There is one project that would greatly benefit TW IMO.. Oh, I am NOT volunteering to take on the job ;-) .. But looking for something in a thread like the "digital theremin" thread is now nearly impossible - trying to find  dewsters original CMOS oscillator and its evolution for example - then there are a myriad of other sub-topics covering the whole theremin field..

Some sort of real context related index with links to relevant postings is needed.. Or perhaps an on-going "bookmarks" window where subjects can be alphabetically entered and relevant links placed (perhaps just a "sticky" thread where any member can add a subject such as say "germanium" alphabetically in the list, and enter links and brief description of the links content, or add a link and description to an already listed subject ) - that or a MUCH more advances search engine with the ability to select the author and key words at least.

There is so much data here! So much of what we do is just repeating what has been fully discussed before in some long forgotten thread - and we often just repeat the process, the thread goes under, waiting for the next time when it will all be repeated again!

Personally, I see TW much more as a university campus than a club - oh sure, theres the social / entertainment / club side to a campus, one makes friends and contacts and has fun.. But its the library and access to resources which IMO is vital for the serious stuff.. I can spend hours searching for something I have read here - its quicker to just ask the question again on the forum, but I dont want to fill the whole recent posts page! ;-)

Damn! perhaps we shouldnt have upset Lois.. We need an all-seeing AI to do this job during its smoking break! ;-)

Fred.

Posted: 10/28/2014 10:20:20 PM
dewster

"...links to relevant postings is needed."  - FredM

Yes!  One thing that would really help me is the ability to link to individual posts.  I can do this over at PW and it allows me to maintain an index on the first post into the relevant points in my huge DP reviews thread.  It lets anyone send anyone else right to the spot where the action is.  As it is here you can narrow a link down to a page in a thread, but I'm not sure how fixed that is, and that page can contain a lot of info to comb through.

Posted: 10/28/2014 10:30:28 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Hi Dewster -

Yes, that would be a great start - Perhaps the (automatic?) creation of an index page for each thread which was public (as in, anyone can add to it) .. That coupled with linking to actual posts would go a long way to helping.. Particularly on large threads.

But I think it may need more - an index that can be built up slowly to 'salvage' lost treasures from the archives.. Take the recent Melodia re-appearance.. I started babbling about it, but after doing some searches, found that I had spoken the same nonsense years ago! LOL ;-)

I hadnt even remembered that thread.. Now perhaps that means im losing my memory, or perhaps it means I post too much.....

;-)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.