Site logo

Posted: 9/20/2014 12:37:25 AM
Jason

If anyone's graphically inclined and has an idea to improve our site logo, please send me a private message.

thanks

Jason

Posted: 9/20/2014 1:11:36 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Jason!

The logo is great!  - dont change it !!!

What ya gonna do? make it all hip and modern to attract the brain-dead game-playing manga / anime viewing musical tooth-picking young theremini-ists? You gonna change TW and force us oldies into a retirement home for those with TPD (Theremin Personality Disorder) ?

Boo!

;-)

Edit ->

the brain-dead game-playing manga / anime viewing musical tooth-picking Badgermin stroking young theremini-ists?

;-)

Posted: 9/28/2014 4:09:32 PM
Jason

IMO, it looks a little unprofessional. I'd like to tidy it up a bit. It's also a bit tough to make smaller versions of.

Nice hack on the location/forum user badge, by the way ;)

Posted: 9/28/2014 9:33:28 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Nice hack on the location/forum user badge, by the way ;)

Jason,

I trust that if I ever do something like that, and it causes a problem or sets an unwanted precedent, you will let me know! (!?)

It does have a problem of extending the minimum post area, but my posts are usually a lot longer!

Anyway - one word and its gone!

;-)

Fred.

Posted: 9/29/2014 6:08:20 AM
gtc

I like the logo but I agree it could do with some tidying up by a graphics person.

Posted: 9/29/2014 8:50:00 AM
RoyP

I like the logo :-)

Don't think you'd want to over-refine it otherwise it's going to loose it's sense of fun.

Roy

Posted: 9/29/2014 7:30:53 PM
FredM

"Don't think you'd want to over-refine it otherwise it's going to loose it's sense of fun." - RoyP

Yes, I agree..

I dont think that you could actually do anything to the present logo which wouldn't make it look stupid - at the present it doesn't look stupid, it is obviously just a fun diagram which brilliantly captures and encapsulates the idea "theremin World", and also alludes to some of the sillier ideas here, such as "World Thereminization" ;-)

Any refinement, making it less bumpy, repositioning the antennas or whatever, will make it look like something daft, rather than a clever artists rendition of an idea.

And whatever you do, please dont squash our world and turn it into a baguette!

Jason, were you the artist behind the logo and lettering, is this your art? - Because I haven't really studied it until this thread, but having now looked at it closely, IMO whoever did it has a real gift.. It doesn't jump out or offend the eye - but once seen its there, forever encoded - it has that quality that embeds itself .. Brilliant, memorable, unoffensive and easy on the eye, conveys the site name even if no words were present (but the character style IMO perfectly complements the image), and simple.

Fred.

Posted: 9/29/2014 9:53:54 PM
randy george

Without changing the logo, text font or colors, the graphic could use a slight bit of anti-aliasing to make the edges more crisp.  I could do this if you wanted, Jason.   I sent you a PM when you created this thread, but maybe you hadn't seen it yet. 

-edit- on closer inspection, i see that there is already anti-aliasing and a black inner stroke, but maybe there could be a different combination of anti-aliasing type and stroke width to make it pop better if that is something you want.  Do you still have the original graphics file?   I recall seeing t-shirts in the past, so I imagined you might have held on to higher resolution versions.

Posted: 10/1/2014 9:57:13 PM
FredM

Its a ThereMoon! ;-)

Giant Rectangular structure below moons surface.

Or is it a theremooni ?   :-(

".... otherwise it's going to loose it's sense of fun." - RoyP

The above reminded me of w0ttm who we haven't seen in ages - I really enjoyed his posts and great contributions, both technically and generally - to quote him: "Silly is good. Silly is my friend when I get home from a day at the salt mine." from here - the last of a series of really silly threads here on TW back in 2012.

Hope you are ok, w0ttm!  Haven't heard from you in a while..

Posted: 10/1/2014 11:54:09 PM
coalport

Don't do it Jason!

The THEREMIN WORLD logo has a delightful, home-spun, vintage flavor to it and you would be crazy to try to update it.

Coca Cola tried this a few years ago and regretted it almost immediately!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.