"Secret World" reviewed as year's finest album :)

Posted: 11/5/2014 2:36:16 PM
Amethyste

I am just very excited to share this review from BT Fasmer of New Age Music Odyssey, which is a very influencial website pertaining to "New Age Music".
We didn't even request a review from him, which is even more impressive!

Doug Hammer on Piano and myself on the theremin, we created something really special...

Thank you for reading :)

http://btfasmer.com/2014/11/05/doug-hammer-amethyste-secret-world-review

Posted: 11/5/2014 3:43:52 PM
RoyP

You deserve to be extremely chuffed with yourself Amey :-)

Posted: 11/5/2014 4:30:25 PM
Amethyste

Thank you Roy, Doug and I both are :)

Posted: 11/5/2014 10:21:14 PM
dewster

Kudos Amethyste!  Your pitch control is amazing, and I really like the way you "season" the vibrato!  The piano is gorgeous and miked very nicely, and the overall presentation (recording, mixing, mastering) is first class. 

Just ordered it - thank you so much for making it available for full listening on bandcamp (I can't begin to evaluate a CD until I've heard it many times through).

Posted: 11/6/2014 3:50:47 AM
Amethyste

Dear Dewster.

I believe in Bandcamp. My collaborator and I have been sort of chastised for having it there "for free" streaming, as one person thinks it is an unwise thing to do ~ we should have only short samples available... I don't really agree, cause at least for me, I cannot really grasp the idea of an album with 30-45 secs snippets.

We have already have sold several copies on Bandcamp... :) Thank you for your feedback on the site. We believe that people that like it, will eventually purchase it.

And... you are pretty much the only one that commented on my "seasoned vibrato"!! I like to mix vibrato and straight tone together... Yay, that makes me happy :)

Thank you for purchasing the album. I truly appreciate it!

Posted: 11/9/2014 1:26:58 PM
coalport

One of the things I love about SECRET WORLD is the way it is engineered so the sound of the piano is "close" and "earthy" - you can feel it in your chest! - while the theremin is ethereal, airy, and comes to us like something from the sky. The two instruments occupy two clearly different acoustic and emotional spaces which complement one another perfectly.

Amey is a natural musician and she plays the theremin as she sings. There is something hauntingly "otherworldly" about it. After all the problems she had starting out with the theremin, she is the living proof of Clara Rockmore's statement: "First, have music in your soul. If you have THAT, you will find a way to do it."

Amey found a way to do it!!

I am the one who "chastised" Amey and Doug for posting the whole CD, in its entirety, FREE, on bandcamp, rather than posting only 60 second samples of each selection. This is a marketing decision I felt was ill-advised but Amey & Doug are happy with it and waddo I know anyway!

Posted: 11/10/2014 3:45:59 AM
Amethyste

Coalport ~
I am touched that you liked the CD and wrote these very nice words about "Secret World". Doug did such a wonderful job at mixing/engineering the sound of the album. We spent many hours EQing the theremin in the way we wanted to portray the feeling of the project. 

Thank you very much Peter :)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.