Bach Air in D - Simulated Etherwave Choir

Posted: 1/1/2015 9:34:20 PM
rkram53

After a few month break from my Etherwave in favor of Theremini I return with a version of Bach's Air from the third Orchestral Suite in D Major.

I played in four versions of the melody against a sampled string track I created and I applied the Antares Choir plugin in various voice settings on each Theremin track to basically simulate a total of about 100 voices. Overdubbing myself 100 times may well have produced a better result but I also wanted to determine how useful the Antares plugin is in this kind of setting.

So what would 100 beginner Etherwave players sound like playing this piece? Will we ever know? Perhaps this is close. But I think that many theremins would indeed have a pronounced choir-like sound similar to this example.

Bach Air in D - For Simulated Etherwave Choir and Sampled Strings

Perhaps I'll do up a solo version to show how I am improving, though it's clear (to me) my playing has gotten better over the past couple of months just through playing the Theremini. I am totally convinced, all criticism aside, playing the Theremini can in fact help your Theremin playing in various ways.

Rich

Posted: 1/3/2015 1:38:42 AM
Jeff S

While I generally enjoy ensemble effects, this one seems to be way over done.  Muddy and not very enjoyable.

I think I can guarantee you "100 beginner Etherwave players" playing this piece would sound 25 times worse, since your piece is using only four tracks.

There's no way we can tell if you're improving from this track.  We would need a "before" and "after" solo track to make any sort of comparison.

Posted: 1/3/2015 5:01:06 AM
Thomas Grillo

Just saw this post today. Definitely does not sound improvised. The wavering in pitch during the long notes is indeed evident in the choral effect. I would have to say the effect is doing more harm than good. Might be better to multi-track the melody line a few times, and then run that through a simple chorus effect. Would sound more realistic. The minute wavering in long notes might then be a bit more subdued since each track of the same melody would be played slightly differently each time. More work, but the results might be more worth while.

Posted: 1/3/2015 12:17:52 PM
coalport

A choir of drunks! 😝

Posted: 1/3/2015 2:17:08 PM
Thomas Grillo

A choir of drunks! 😝... LOL Indeed. Never drink, and thereminize.

Posted: 1/3/2015 9:50:38 PM
Amethyste

... I have to say, I couldn't listen to much of it cause it literally made me dizzy...

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.