Danilo Parra releases theremin documentary

Posted: 1/16/2015 8:09:47 PM
Thomas Grillo

Hello all. Some of you may be aware of a documentary which was in production for a couple of years.

This film features my work with the theremin, and gives a little insight into my life, as well.

The documentary is called, Mr. Grillo: The Thereminist, and is now available world wide since Danilo Parra launced it on Vimeo's video on demand site. It can be rented for a couple of days for $2 U.S., or the downloadable version can be purchased for $4

There is also the free trailer, of course.

You can now catch the documentary at: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/mrgrillo

Enjoy!

Posted: 1/16/2015 9:49:42 PM
oldtemecula

Thomas I enjoyed the trailer and the production looks well thought out, but what did you do to that little doggy?

The look on her face, an O'Shit moment.

Christopher

Posted: 1/16/2015 9:58:29 PM
Thomas Grillo

@oldtemecula It was simply time for her bath, and she got it. She hates being in an actual tub of water, and sends water everywhere, so I give her doggie showers now. She still doesn't like it, but that's life. Yeh, the look she gives near the end of that scene says it all. She hates showers, too. ;)

Posted: 1/16/2015 10:03:46 PM
coalport

When I saw Thomas’s chihuahua, I couldn’t help but be reminded of Maurice Martenot’s 1917/18 prototype of the ondes martenot, which he used to entertain his fellow soldiers in the French army in World War One. The men called the instrument “le chien méxicain” (“the Mexican dog”) because of its acoustic similarity to the howling of a chihuahua!!  

Betcha that pup-in-the-tub coulda given old Maurice a run fer his money! 

Posted: 1/16/2015 10:43:04 PM
Thomas Grillo

@coalport: Actually, she was pretty quiet through the whole scene. Only the doorbell, and Skype sound set her off. LOL.

Posted: 1/17/2015 12:52:30 AM
RoyP

'Only the doorbell, and Skype sound set her off.' - Thomas G

Don't I know it! lol

Great video Thomas: all credit to Danilo and yersel.

R

Posted: 1/17/2015 1:06:47 AM
Thomas Grillo

@RoyP: Glad you enjoyed it. Oh, she will go off if I make any sudden moves, or look at the security monitors too quickly, too. Or if I say "Hang on a sec!". LOL

Posted: 1/17/2015 4:00:36 AM
gtc

Enjoyed the documentary very much. Was interesting to see Sam Hoffman on the Carson Show.

Re dogs and bath time, mine used to try to hide the minute she saw me pick up the baby bath that I used to wash her in the backyard. I would always end up just as wet as she was until I learned the trick of holding her head still so she couldn't get the 'spin dry' cycle started until I put her on the grass and retreated quickly.

Posted: 1/17/2015 4:14:01 AM
Thomas Grillo

@gtc: LOL Sind dry cycle. Love it. Yeh, with Rosie, I have to just leave her in the shower with the shower curtain drawn for a moment, or so while she shakes it off. Then she gets a nice warm dry off with a blow dryer made for dogs. She loves that bit. :)

Yeh, I really liked how Danilo brought in some of the historical aspects of the theremin with visuals of Leon, and Sam Hoffman.

Posted: 1/18/2015 2:26:45 PM
coalport

I watched MR. GRILLO last night and enjoyed the film immensely. The only thing that disappointed me was that it was only 20 minutes long….it deserved to be longer. Thomas, I long to get my Trekkie hands on that magnificent Borg cube! It is as awesome as YOU are!!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.