MOOG THEREMINI USERS

Posted: 2/25/2015 12:47:54 AM
Satri

Hi Thomas, I added your presets to animoog.org/theremini 's list of user-provided Theremini presets. The list is pretty thin at the moment, but it has to start somewhere! Take care -- Alex / Satri

Posted: 2/25/2015 1:13:17 AM
Thomas Grillo

@Satri: Hello Alex, Thanks for doing that. :)

Posted: 5/2/2015 4:16:02 PM
johnwhip

Hi. I have a real basic question about the Theremini. We seem to have a problem with one that we just bought and don't know what to make of it. The glissando stops at a certain distance and the pitch sticks. It holds for at least a few inches before dropping dramatically. We are wondering if this is a defect or something that happens in theremins?

Posted: 5/2/2015 5:50:50 PM
xtheremin8

hi johnwhip,

i don't understand exactly what you mean, by ..."glissando stops..." but i guess it's:.. the pitch coming from high, near antenna; to low, far antenna. and then sticks at lowest note, before it falls silent? 

you've updated already to the newest firmware 1.1.1? you can see which one's on the display for some seconds,  when turning the unit on. if not, there you are: 1.1.1  because there are two different modes you can play with, one allows you to use it like a real theremin with zero beat, meaning pitch goes from high to low through zero and back up to high notes. and the other mode goes from high to the user-set lowest note.

if it's a immediate pitch drop: better call moog. 

Posted: 5/2/2015 8:59:03 PM
rkram53

There was an earlier issue before the current firmware where a low note would hold. That should be fixed in the new firmware (hold the setup button when turning it on to see firmware version). New units should be shipped with the current firmware however.

The "glissando" or whatever you play should stop based on the low note you have set in your range.

Posted: 10/28/2015 3:25:38 PM
sir

I have a weird intermittent issue where the G3 note plays nothing using the Eire preset. Also had cases where it got stuck on a note similar to what johnwhip reported even after updating the firmware to 1.1.1. Will post more on that later if I can figure out what's going on. Anyway...

Since I have all the presets at http://animoog.org/theremini/ and I'm feeling a bit clueless as to whether sounds like these can even be created and how to go about creating them using the software, here's a little preset request list because I think it would be fun to try and play parts of these songs on my Theremini with presets that would somewhat match each song or style.

Revenge of the Nerds (electric violin from talent show)

Tom Sawyer (Rush - probably needs 2 settings - one for intro and one for solo)

X-files theme

The Final Countdown (Europe)

8 bit video game

Heavy Metal (distorted guitar - different variations would be cool)

Good Vibrations (Beach Boys)

Imperial March (Star Wars)

The Sign and All That She Wants intros (Ace of Base)

Dr. Who Theme (Dr. Who? is already in the ALT library but maybe you have your own take)

Star Trek (I'm guessing there's nothing closer than the Classic Theremin preset but just in case)

Blade Runner

Sweet Child O' Mine

Will add more to this post as I think of them, and if I can figure any of these out on my own I will post them :)

Posted: 11/4/2015 11:24:24 PM
therecicka

Hi All!

my first message here

today I got my Theremini!   and this is my first theremin in general,
fortunately I play already the piano and I have a good ear...

I am still trying to figure out how it works exactly
it looks cool, after the calibration I made instinctively an "aproximation" of Start Trek melody

we will see how it will go...

Francesco

Posted: 3/7/2016 9:40:39 PM
werewolfsound

Hi all!

Finally I got a Theremini!

I must say I bought a Theremini and a Etherwave Plus, both second hand (but unregistered and completely new units) with the idea of getting rid of one after trying them. 

Here is the 'problem': I am really happy with both! :p and I think I will keep them.

Sincerely, I don't understand so many criticism about the Theremini, It has good sounds (after editing them!), great functions and good linearity.

I have been playing guitar for 25+ years, I finished classical guitar professional studies in Spain but I love rock and electronic music, so I have many different guitars and play different styles although I play and teach classical guitar mainly, and I always found this attitude among many classical musicians, they hate the novelty, they are afraid of getting off the path, they don't like 'modern' instruments.

I love theremini and its possibilities. Maybe not the perfect theremin? Maybe not the best for classical scores? Maybe, but I'm practicing Air on the G string by Bach with my Theremini and with my Etherwave Plus I don't notice massive or even slighty differences in performance after calibrating the instruments.

I will post further impressions! :)

Posted: 3/7/2016 10:17:14 PM
dewster

"...I always found this attitude among many classical musicians, they hate the novelty, they are afraid of getting off the path, they don't like 'modern' instruments."  - werewolfsound

My inner snob had nothing to do with my measurements, which revealed the original Theremini to be a total dog in the linearity and responsiveness departments, with no way to touch up the brain-dead calibration routine. 

I mean, I'm glad you're enjoying it and all but you're barking up the wrong tree when it comes to why some have negative things to say about it.  I don't rag on it irrationally, I measured it and it came up short, and talking about that seems to piss some people off, god knows why.

Posted: 3/8/2016 1:23:14 PM
audiomidiman

""...I always found this attitude among many classical musicians, they hate the novelty, they are afraid of getting off the path, they don't like 'modern' instruments."  - werewolfsound

My inner snob had nothing to do with my measurements, which revealed the original Theremini to be a total dog in the linearity and responsiveness departments, with no way to touch up the brain-dead calibration routine.  I mean, I'm glad you're enjoying it and all but you're barking up the wrong tree when it comes to why some have negative things to say about it.  I don't rag on it irrationally, I measured it and it came up short, and talking about that seems to piss some people off, god knows why."

I must admit... I'm a drummer/percussionist and my freshman year in college I played drums for the singing / dancing club (or whatever you want to refer to them as)... The director had tons of MIDI gear and insisted I played their MIDI/CV drums with my acoustic cymbals... Tell you what, I was in HELL for almost the whole year! I loved working with the piano / keyboardist (which ended up becoming the director a few years later) and all the students... But... Seriously... back in 1993 / 1994 rubber drum pads were HELL... I referred to them as "FAKE DRUMS"... Since then, I love writing / composing electronic music ... However, I'm not a classical musician... I don't try to write in a traditional fashion... I just write and enjoy... However, my music is not classical/rock/etc... Don't try to mimic real drums!!! Some drummers are awesome programmers...

Grabbed my Theremini a couple of weeks ago and love it!!! I eventually want a Etherwave (or wait and see what Thierry is developing)... But, figured the Theremini would be a stopgap for the time being. I've heard what a classical musician can do with a Theremini and I'm more than impressed... But, they all recommend the Etherwave if you want to play/learn classically.

Still pretty fun!!!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.