It's the Pizz - Study #4 for Theremin

Posted: 3/15/2015 2:49:55 AM
rkram53

Just got a Burns B3 Pro (my Etherwave is still in the shop) and started practicing after doing nothing but playing the Theremini for the past three months.

Had a bit of free time today so I wrote another in a series of studies I'm doing to help me out. I'll post the link to the score if anyone is interested with a "Music Minus One" file of the strings to play along with. This longer study emphasizes simple triadic and stepwise motion.

This is my 6th take.  I notice that this B3 really is affected by line noise. Some days it will sound clearer than others. Not sure what's up there.

It's the Pizz - Study for Theremin

Posted: 3/15/2015 2:56:37 PM
dewster

Nice!  You always have very interesting and professional sounding accompaniments!

"I notice that this B3 really is affected by line noise. Some days it will sound clearer than others."  -
rkram53

Could you elaborate?  I'm not sure what you mean by "line noise".

Posted: 3/15/2015 4:21:35 PM
bisem

Very nice composition !   Did you produce the backing track also?

Posted: 3/15/2015 10:09:52 PM
rkram53

Thanks. Yes the accompaniment was fully written out for string orchestra. I use Notion5 as the composition program and Notion 5 played it using a combination of Notion5 strings with voices doubled using the 8DIO "Adagietto" string library (the latter is more a production library). Exported the Notion5 sound file into Cubase and recorded the theremin there.

I'll post the score on IMSLP when I get a chance.

As for he Burns B3 Pro, I mean it seems to be more affected by quality of AC power than my Etherwave. Not sure if it is totally "healthy". You can hear there is a little noise fluctuation in the B3 sound that is not the buzzing I'm after. Using AC ground loop filters helps as does powering the theremin from a different outlet in another room

Rich

Posted: 3/16/2015 4:21:17 PM
bisem

Hmmm....I didn't notice noise fluctuation on mine or yours but my B3 is definitely picky about the amplifier being used. 

Notion5 is something new to me so I am going to check it out!  I have been depending on backing tracks but it really limits creativity. What is IMSLP?

Posted: 3/16/2015 11:15:43 PM
rkram53

Well there a number of options if you want to notate scores and then either play them back and record directly from the sounds of the program (or any other sound library you may have loaded) or create a MIDI file from the notation program and load that up in your DAW and then load samples and tweak MIDI using your DAW's functions.

Finale and Sibelius are the two flagship products and if you need flexibility of notation, no other programs come close, but these are both expensive and have big learning curves. When I want to notate for performers I usually use Finale. But I have found for quick entry and composition that Notion5 (recently bought by PreSonus so go there to look at it) is easier to use and while it in no way can notate like the other two programs, its notation capabilities are fine for most composing needs. Plus it costs a fraction of Finale or Sibelius. I also happen to like the in-house recorded sample libraries that come with Notion5 better than the Garritan libraries that come with the other two (Notion comes with a default library that you can add to at a reasonable cost). And I have never had a case where Notion crapped out on me for using too many voices. I can work on a huge orchestral score without issues (as long as I don't try and load huge external sound libraries).

There are other options to like Noteworthy Composer a lot of people seem to like. But Notion has an iPad version as well that might be useful (but its too limiting to use quickly for me - but you can transfer files back and forth between the iPad and computer version). So if you have an iPAD you can get Notion for that and try it out to see if you like it at a very reasonable cost (and you can store stuff to Dropbox, etc).

Notion will also let you record from a MIDI source like the other programs and has a quite flexible playback engine that lets you alter tempo easily during playback by tapping a key at the desired tempo, etc. For this piece, I created the soundfile from Notion (where I loaded another string library on top of the Notion library for added realism) and then loaded it into Cubase where I could easily record the theremin and mix the piece. When you deal with strings, you always want to load at least two sample libraries to get a more realistic sound. Then I always run the final .WAV output through a Mastering program (I use Wavelab) where I can adjust/normalize sound file output levels, edit out beginning and ending noise, add fadeouts and add any other mastering plugins I might want - like analog tape simulation to smooth out the sound - and also create the .mp3 file I'll load to Soundcloud. 

IMSLP (also known as Petrucci Music Library - www.imslp.org), is the worlds largest repository of public domain and common copyright scores - and also now performances. You can find the score and usually arrangements of virtually any piece by any composer before 1900 there. Living composers (hey people like me) also can post their compositions if they are willing to have them listed as "Common Copyright (CC)".  There are various forms of this but basically it boils down to either letting anyone use your music for any purpose under one CC type, or letting anyone copy and perform your music as long as they are not trying to make a profit from it under another CC type. (So don't post anything there you think is going to be of true popular value). And be careful of arrangements of public domain works as the arrangement itself is the copyright of the author of the arrangement.

You do have to be somewhat careful downloading things from IMSLP as they have a lot of music listed as public domain in some countries (like Canada where copyright law is much more liberal than here in the US or the EU - why IMSLP runs out of Canada). So a piece by Strauss might be totally fine in the US, but might still be under copyright in the EU, etc. In general, if you are in the US and the work was written after 1923 - its illegal to copy it or play it without permission. But things are not really quite that cut and dry (i.e. if they were written between 1923..1977 and had no copyright notice). It's a huge quagmire. Best not to perform any anything publically written after 1923 without permission to be safe in the US. EU has a different set of rules.

Posted: 3/17/2015 10:30:48 PM
rkram53

So here's the value of IMSLP (International Music Score Library Project) for composers or arrangers (of public domain works) that want to let others enjoy the fruits of their labors. You can register yourself as a composer on IMSLP and then post scores, arrangements, MIDI files, performances, etc for others to access based on the type of Creative Commons (CC) Copyright you select to post under. Note that the legal team on IMSLP will vett your work to make sure you are not trying to post things illegally (for example I had to notify them that some idiot re-orchestrated the Star Wars theme under a different name and posted it there (a definite no-no!). Only put your own compositions up there or arrangements of things you know are in the public domain. 

I always use the "Non-Commercial, No Derivatives" CC option (you have to select one when posting). This says you are giving the right to others to use your music so long as they do not use it in any commercial way and don't screw around with it (that is they must use exactly the version you post and not make arrangements to distribute from it). There are other options that let people make arrangements, let them use it for any purpose, etc. There are similar options for posting performances. It's great for composers who would like others to play and hear their music that would otherwise just sit on a shelf. No more risky than posting your compositions or performances to YouTube to be honest. You have not given up your right to make $ on your music elsewhere. Just note that there are bots that pick up this music and possibly try to sell it if you select the wrong option.

The full score for this piece can now be viewed here:

It's the Pizz - Full Score

Posted: 3/18/2015 7:28:04 PM
Luna

For those looking for lower-cost scoring programs, MuseScore is a free download.  My son uses it as his composing program.  I have Sibelius First, which has a few reduced features than the full version of Sibelius, but it costs a lot less.

Posted: 3/19/2015 4:46:19 AM
zoogie

I have tried several programs and settled on Notation composer 3.  Does an excellent job transcribing midi files or just composing from scratch.  Cost is about $90.  I did try some freeware stuff, like Anvil Studio and learned once again that you get what you pay for.  I use it with VirtualMidiSynth. 

Posted: 3/19/2015 4:43:50 PM
rkram53

Yea. There are a lot of options. Whatever works best for you is the right choice.

The great problem many thereminists will have is that the instrument needs accompaniment and if you don't play an instrument that can easily do that like piano or guitar, how do you get your "backing tracks" without resorting to using illegal copyrighted material? As you allude to, a good method is finding public domain MIDI files online and then muting the main melody line when you play them back through a synth or using a sample library on your DAW so you can play with it (though most of the MIDI files you find online are not really public domain for posting online when you read the fine print - but for your personal use its a great way to go).

I'm thinking of starting a thread on techniques for making arrangements for theremin pieces. Not sure how many people would be interested in that.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.