Clean Slate

Posted: 5/1/2015 4:50:24 PM
E  P

As far as not having to buy an amplifier....I don't think this should be a factor in your decision.   First of all you can always pick up a decent amp on craigslist for cheap.”

I’ve considered the Moog amp for the Etherwave.  At $100.00 it’s quite a bargain.  I find it ironic that I have a digital amp (Peavey Vypyr) but it can’t interact with the Theremini.  Possibly, I may be able to use the headphone in to plug in computer speakers.  That may work.  But if I really take to the “mini” I’ll definitely acquire the Moog amp.

“Be careful....a lot of Theremini fans on here will argue about what a "real" theremin is LOL!”

I absolutely do not view the Theremini as a true Theremin.  To me it is a Theremin – like / hybrid instrument.  Or, to put it another way, to my knowledge (unless I’m wrong), the Theremini does not have the calibration for waveform, pitch, or brightness.  Why would “they” leave that out (the bells and whistles are not a compensation for this fact)?  To have those adjustments available would make it more of a Theremin IMO.  But even with that glaring omission I’m still intrigued by the Theremini. 

“I do have to say that Thomas Grillo's growing respect for the Theremini's potential carries a good bit of weight with me.”  

I agree and feel the same.  And I’m sure the techs at Moog will find this gratifying if they are following TW.  

“This may not help in your decision but I thought I would throw my 2 cents in.”  

I have the opportunity to purchase the Theremini by the middle of the month, but I may wait until the end of May before I make my final decision.  Whether I go with the Theremini or the Etherwave I’ll still be jumping into deep water.  Either will be a musical challenge for me.    

“My father also passed last October but remember that it is only a transition!  I am sure that you will find many ways to express a continued connection to your father...especially through your musical journey.”

When I was younger (I just love that phrase) I hated change; dreaded it, tried to ignore it, was dragged kicking and screaming every time.  But as I got older I made peace with the trajectory life could take at times.  I mean, I’m about to jump into electronic music, I never thought that would be part of my life, but here I am.  And yes, I will compose and play for my dad, as well as learn pieces to play.

BTW, I watched “Theremin: An Electronic Odyssey” last night and was totally blown away!  It was incredibly fascinating, and equally poignant.  I may write a review on it.  It’s one of the best documentaries I’ve ever seen.  Whether you’re a Thereminist or a music historian, or just have a curiosity about the man and his instrument, you’ll be transfixed.

Thank you Brian for your impressions and insights.  I have a lot to consider.  Either way, May is going to be a most interesting month.

Eric Paul

Posted: 5/1/2015 10:53:58 PM
rkram53

EP

Best of luck to you, whichever way you go.

I've found the theremin is the most intriguing and addicting instrument I've ever been involved with.

It's been a total joy for me. I hope it is for you too.

Rich

Posted: 5/2/2015 1:34:51 PM
E  P

“I've found the theremin is the most intriguing and addicting instrument I've ever been involved with.”

You’re telling me, and I haven’t even gotten mine yet.  I mean, once you “master” pitch and vibrato, as well as other techniques, you can stand in front of a Theremin and emote!  There’s something I find very life affirming about that.  The Theremin may be an electronic instrument but it is so organic.  Watching Clara Blackmore play is a grand example of this.  She seems as though she’s meditating, as if she’s transcended her body.  And that my friend is what I find soooo intriguing about the instrument. 

Posted: 5/2/2015 2:00:36 PM
E  P

Oops, I meant to write Clara Rockmore.

Posted: 5/6/2015 2:00:42 PM
bisem

This EW looks like a pretty fair deal to me....even if you use the "buy it now" price ;^)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Briar-Bob-Moog-Etherwave-THEREMIN-Used-Excellent-Condition-With-Extras-/171772653111?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27fe72ae37

Posted: 5/6/2015 4:03:06 PM
oldtemecula

I prefer the Later Moog for the improvements made over twenty years.

Port Saint Lucie, Florida, United States

Only four hours left to get it for $200, maybe, but fun to see where this goes in a few hours?

Where I live I never buy the later Moog for more than $200, I have time to wait, even got the amp and stand thrown in before.

There can be delusional sellers (RCA & ePro owners) and desperate sellers, the buyer is in control.

One of the mysteries of the theremin, the older it is some sellers think the more valuable, when it is just old junk.

Christopher

Posted: 5/6/2015 6:29:58 PM
oldtemecula

E P said: "You’re telling me, and I haven’t even gotten mine yet.  I mean, once you “master” pitch and vibrato, as well as other techniques, you can stand in front of a Theremin and emote!  There’s something I find very life affirming about that.  The Theremin may be an electronic instrument but it is so organic.  Watching Clara Rockmore play is a grand example of this.  She seems as though she’s meditating, as if she’s transcended her body.  And that my friend is what I find soooo intriguing about the instrument."

Organic, you are right E P as I have used this term also. The theremin exposes a pure connection to the soul.

The theremin is so much more... expressed by the Hoffman theremin; “Gort” came to earth to bring world peace, a message of hope... and for the children a whisper in a dream. When I pick on theremin sound it is because it lacks something I am interested in, more than the person or the machine alone. I also think of Clara as having a symbiotic relationship with her instrument.

This musican knows what I am after though I have no word to describe what it is.

Edit: Maybe the word is Vulnerability.

Christopher

Posted: 5/9/2015 11:55:30 AM
coalport

Samuel Hoffman’s RCA has a slightly different sound today than it did back in 2010 when I recorded GABE'S OBOE because I replaced the modern speaker (I’m using a Reid Welch CLARATONE in the video) with an RCA 106 Radiola Loudspeaker which was what was originally in the instrument back in the 1930’s. There is a subtle but noticeable difference in tone.

I prefer the 106 in spite of the fact that that particular model had a slight background hum.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.