Drawing on Etherwave - materials

Posted: 5/24/2015 11:44:11 PM
coalport

There is a wonderful technique for etching on wood called “kolrosing” that is often used for replicas of ancient harps and lyres. It consists of cutting a design into the wood with a very fine blade, and then rubbing charcoal and wax into the surface to bring out the pattern. I have never seen it used for a theremin but I think it would be GREAT!

Using blood is a wonderfully romantic idea - and kind of witchy Game Of Thrones - but the results will be disappointing. Anybody see THE RED VIOLIN, where the luthier used the blood of his dead wife to color the varnish he used on his instrument…..

Here is a demonstration of the use of the technique of “kolrosing” on a replica of the Trossingen lyre by luthier Michael J. King.

https://youtu.be/U8WmwVQe3X4

Posted: 5/26/2015 1:34:30 PM
GordonC

The creepiness rather depends on whose blood you use and the circumstances of its collection. 

Posted: 5/26/2015 10:50:09 PM
xtheremin8

kolrosing looks very attractive for graphics!  originally cut with flint shards, maybe?   worth to mention, that the preparation of the surface is very important: sand it well, always along with the wood grain. he mentions in that video something like 320k and that's quite fine, almost shiny. not sure how fine the ew-kit is already out of the box, i would say around 120k-180k? of course, thats good enough for laquering the whole case, but for a oiled finish, one can go as fine as he like to. or the shop offers.... there was a guy from brasil, he made a fine case for his SC-Kit.: another jaycar-mod .

the advantage of a simple first layer of varnish, is that you can make some corrections on the design more easily than on the plain wood. even pencil is sometimes a pain in the *$$.

bloodfact: contains albumin, so like egg-yolk, a very effective binding agent for pigments. but should not end in a goth party.

Posted: 7/28/2015 5:58:18 PM
xtheremin8

Staining-Wood-With-Wodka-Walnuts a nice instructable for a mild summernight. btw. oak-bark,prepared similar soothes sunburns, but both won't improve my theremin playing.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.