Help needed with Theremini MIDI problem.

Posted: 8/13/2015 11:15:13 AM
GordonC

I am giving a presentation about the theremini at Lydia Kavina's Hands Off 2015 on the 26th of September, and I would like to demonstrate the use of an Eowave USB MIDI Expression Pedal with aTheremini.

I am not a MIDI expert, but after much head-scratching and documentation scrutinising I have configured the pedal to send CC 74 to Channel 1 with values between 0 and 127, which I believe from the theremini manual should vary the filter cut off frequency. I have connected the USB MIDI expression pedal to the Theremini via a powered USB hub. Operating the pedal appears to have no effect on presets that use a filter. :-(

Please can anyone suggest what I may be doing wrong, and how I can make it work. I would very much like to resolve this problem in good time for my presentation.
Posted: 8/13/2015 12:46:36 PM
rkram53

Gordon,

I connect my Behringer foot controller to the Theremini and have no problem sending any of the MIDI CCs (but I use a USB hub that can be a host).

What kind of MIDI hub? I think that's your problem. Are you also going through a computer? Normally you would need to add that to the MIDI setup unless you have a device like the iConnectMIDI4+ that has the capability of being a USB master/host basically letting you connect a MIDI controller directly to the Theremini without a computer in the mix. So check if that is just a dumb USB hub or if it has the capability to be a USB host.

Do you have a laptop or something you can add to the hub to be the USB host if that's the issue here? An iPad with a slider app connected to the Thermini may also do what you want though of course you need a free hand or someone else to control - but a slider app will let you control multiple parameters easily too to do some nice things.

Rich

Posted: 8/13/2015 6:46:23 PM
GordonC

Hi Rich. I have narrowed it down to a problem with the eowave pedal - the configuration did not hold and it had reverted to CC1. It seems other people have had the same problem and I did not find a solution. Synthguy is helping over on the moog forum, and hopefully we will find a workaround using the MidiBridge app to remap the output from the eowave.

It is a dumb hub, but my iPad mini works fine as a usb controller. 

I probably could do it from a slider app, but as you point out a free hand is required. I've had plenty of practice at playing while operating a treadle with my foot and it's my preferred solution. :-)

Posted: 8/13/2015 9:53:26 PM
GordonC

Update: solved it. :-) The "Holy Mapper" function of MIDIBridge does exactly what I wanted. Yippee!

Posted: 8/14/2015 12:48:09 AM
rkram53

Love that Synthguy.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.