Website Updates

Posted: 10/3/2015 4:18:25 AM
Jason

I'm starting a new thread here to announce website updates rather than continue posting on the thread in the "Theremin General" forum.

I pushed a few website updates tonight. Please let me know if you're having problems with any of these features.

• Reduced page load times a bit the home page and the forums pages
  • Tapping/clicking on a topic in the "recent posts" widget in the home page sidebar will now link directly to the post instead of just the last page of the thread
  • The "recent posts" and "last post" sections of the forums will now take you directly to the last post instead of just the last page when you tap/click on them.
  • When you post a reply, you'll properly jump back down to your post now instead of the top of the page
  • Email notifications will now link directly to the post instead of just the last page of the post
  • Fixed a bug that was blocking some people from reading private messages

Keep the lively conversations and suggestions coming!

Posted: 10/3/2015 4:34:48 PM
dewster

Hi Jason,

Suggestion: on the Media | Photo Albums page when you click on a particular album, make "show thumbnails" be the default rather than "hide thumbnails".  (The thumbnail icons are kind of tiny so it took me a while to figure out how to view the photos in the album.)

Posted: 10/3/2015 8:22:31 PM
Jason

Good idea. I see several of the thumbnails don't seem to be working too. I'll have a look at both issues this evening.

Posted: 10/4/2015 4:55:00 AM
Jason

Done. I made the thumbnail strip show by default, and I increased the size of the thumbnails a bit.  Hope that helps.

Posted: 10/4/2015 12:55:14 PM
dewster

Ooh, it's looking good Jason, thanks!

Posted: 10/4/2015 3:19:18 PM
gtc

Suggest implementing a lock icon for locked threads.

Posted: 10/5/2015 3:41:10 PM
Jason

Great idea.  I have this change implemented now and will update the site tonight.

Posted: 10/5/2015 10:32:29 PM
rkram53

Is it possible to store a .mp3 the way we do .jpg and have a link to play that. It would be nice to store little example files here that are not really appropriate for Soundcloud. Might be a server size issue and people that don't understand copyright might put up stuff they shouldn't. So it may not be feasible.

Rich

Posted: 10/6/2015 2:29:59 AM
Jason

"Suggest implementing a lock icon for locked threads."

...and done.  Refresh your browser if they aren't nicely lined up with the topic title in the forum topics list.

"Is it possible to store a .mp3 the way we do .jpg and have a link to play that. It would be nice to store little example files here that are not really appropriate for Soundcloud. Might be a server size issue and people that don't understand copyright might put up stuff they shouldn't. So it may not be feasible."

While technically possible, this would really increase our bandwidth usage, so I'll have to look into how much additional cost it would add to running the site.  Sites like SoundCloud will always implement something like that better than I could as a single part-time developer too :)  But I understand why you'd want to put something here and not on SC, so let me look into what I can do.  Alternatively, you might be able to store it on something like DropBox or OneDrive and then make it publically available & just include a link here.

Posted: 10/6/2015 2:57:27 AM
rkram53

Jason,

Thanks. I certainly don't want to increase costs.

Dropbox in a public folder with a link might be a good solution. Didn't think of that.

Rich

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.