Best Hardware Synth to play with Theremin

Posted: 2/12/2016 2:13:38 AM
rkram53

TomDog54 - yes I used the Etherwave Plus because of its three separate CV outs connected to my modular setup. It's just Microsoft Powerpoint for the drawings.

All Eurorack modules have CV in so the only issue is getting cables or adapters that have a 1/4 mono connector on one end for the Etherwave CV outs to 1/4" mono for the Eurorack inputs. 

And you don't have to tell me about that pull. Forget two colliding black holes - if someone wants to see gravity waves just direct the antenna towards the Eurorack gear.

Posted: 3/13/2016 3:33:03 AM
Tomdog54

Well rkram53, my upgraded former Big Briar EW came back from Asheville not only wi CV capability, but also with a new board, as well!  It's all for the better...it was 20 yrs. old and noisy.  I'll install the ESPE01 this week.  I also opted for a Microbrute, which I'm in the process of chopping.  I'll post a picture (is that possible here?) when it's done.  Thanks for the input.  I'm looking forward to some experimentation!

Posted: 3/13/2016 11:07:02 AM
xtheremin8

tomdog, while you'r chopping the brutee, keep in mind the ew+ has a rather high gate output, i'm using a simple attenuator to level signals. thanks to dr.moog, a potentimeter a male and a female jack soldered together makes a indispensable tool for cv stuff.  did you get the old pcb back, too?  

Posted: 3/15/2016 7:44:00 AM
Tomdog54

xtheremin8, thanks for the tip!  Re: old board...yes, I requested its return several times. It will arrive tomorrow.

Posted: 3/15/2016 7:53:54 PM
xtheremin8

lol, not sure why i've asked about the old board, must be my tinkerer instinct for reusing or replacing parts for further experiments. sadly, it's cheaper to replace a entire board than to repair it. 

i thought about getting rid of the keys and put synth and theremin all togeher into a new housing. no more cables. then i saw thérésyn on the web. unfortunately i missed the presentation of that theremin/synth hybrid monster in lausanne recently, so i can't tell how it sounds. it also has a interesting speaker system, something like from mr.martenots workbench. and it just looks great. 

i'm still looking for a good quality midi solution for the theremin, because that axoloti-board brings up whole new ideas. maybe it can work with theremino cap sensors? 

Posted: 3/15/2016 9:58:54 PM
dewster

"i'm still looking for a good quality midi solution for the theremin, because that axoloti-board brings up whole new ideas. maybe it can work with theremino cap sensors?"  - xtheremin8

Wow, axoloti looks like an amazing project!

Posted: 3/16/2016 2:26:54 AM
xtheremin8

yes, i’m pretty excited about that board. and it’s usable without the secret knowledge of coding and deep programming. noob that i am. i wish sometimes i could speak like c+++ fluently… nah,no way. it’s a desaster.

i think arduino is nice for something like chiptunes or of course urs's theremin-concept, wich maxed the arduino out. so, let’s see how fruitful this axoloti exploration into electronic music will be. as thereminesque as possible.

hooking up pots and assigning midi cc's seems also quite easy and if those cap-sensor boards, from italy or china, work just out of the box as sensors, i would be very happy. i have to find more info about these theremino boards. 10€ are not so much.
btw: another possibility of a ew+/cv-syntheremin would be using the diy-board from doepfer: no, not another link! . pure hardcoreware.

Posted: 3/21/2016 4:53:11 AM
Tomdog54

...i thought about getting rid of the keys and put synth and theremin all togeher into a new housing. no more cables. then i saw thérésyn...

Yes! Exactly what I've been pondering for some time. I'm hoping to get the EW+ and the chopped microbrute (or something else small if it doesn't work out) to mount on an Airturn GoStand, and break it down to travel in one small case.  There would still be some cables, but I could fine tune that setup over time.  I love that theresyn, but I'm pretty sure I won't have the budget for it!

Posted: 4/11/2016 6:19:20 PM
Tomdog54

Well, I finished my chop and frankensynth.  It's sort of a poor man's intro to modular. cool  Primarily, I'll use it for bass because the mini and micro play well together as a mono/duophonic synth. But, I'm leaving the micro easily detachable to use with the EW+ separately.  I still plan to do the micro hack to add a cv input to the VCA. What do y'all think?

MiniMicro

Posted: 4/13/2016 3:40:34 PM
xtheremin8

h e l l o, nice woodwork. quite some knobs to twiddle around with, who needs keys anyway. and yes, the vca cv hack is a must. planning going modular? 

what to expect soundwisely can be heard there: theremin&microbrute 

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.