Enhancing The EtherWave Sound

Posted: 3/5/2016 8:22:11 PM
oldtemecula

Did you hear that boom "It is time"

This corn field is down the road from me

No aliasing in my sound, I waited over ten years to hear that!

Posted: 3/5/2016 10:01:33 PM
xtheremin8

i'm better writing fast, before christopher finishes that wall. lift the mid atlantic ridge would be easier, maybe.

glad, that you admitted that slight reverb, i started to misstrust my computer. i like that deep rolling sound but i also hear some noise there too. the noise dissapears on the high notes, keep in mind my incorporated tinitus etc. to tell you if there is noise or not, maybe a recording of just the volume hand (pitch zero beat) would help. that would show, is it the instrument or the soundcard, producing that noise. as i don't know what those fancy colours in the audacity spektrogramm-view should tell me,but it looks nice, and i believe some noise/hum does not hurt. while i was listening to that recording back and forth, my wife listened to pink floyd and suddenly on "us or them" that recording fitted perfectly..in tune and time. wow.

i remember your bucketfull of sound some times ago. and that was a surprising accoustic phenomena! showed me that it depends very much on the gear you're playing it through... finally, there is not enough concrete.

thanks for the greeen. winter is back here. brrr.

Posted: 3/5/2016 11:27:11 PM
oldtemecula

xtheremin8 you always had a special place in my heart, you still laugh. You cannot be an engineer.

I just can't sneak anything past anyone. I am not an engineer or a musician so don't know any real tricks. This sample is pure and true as I only normalized the level in Audacity. The volume control is fixed so the wave form can be viewed throughout the range.

This is like the old days, I drove everyone nuts with what does this sound like?

The key is in attenuating the third harmonic, post processing would bring this to life with good hand movement.

The resurrection of the EWS   sound.wav  2.8 megs

It is time...

Christopher

Posted: 3/5/2016 11:57:34 PM
dewster

"The key is in attenuating the third harmonic, post processing would bring this to life with good hand movement." - Christopher

The waveforms in your latest sample are much more deterministic than the one in the one with reverb added, no surprise.  In Audition the 3rd and 6th harmonics are down compared to the others for mid and higher frequencies.  For low frequencies it looks like the 4th harmonic is slightly down compared to the others.

Posted: 3/6/2016 12:11:32 AM
mpampouras

Noise might be from the input of the sound card. Brands like RME, Apogee, Metric etc. normally have low signal to noise ratio thus less audible noise when recording. However the "consumer" ones do a pretty lousy job on that aspect (for example Soundblaster).

Also, post normalization always brings up the recorded noise / hiss so I wouldn't say it's a good idea to do it!

Posted: 3/6/2016 1:51:28 AM
oldtemecula

mpampouras, you should be asleep now, the world is so connected. I enjoyed the Kostas Makrinos video as your generation has so much to work with creatively. I have never owned a cell phone by choice as I am from the past and must remain there. Theremin will not let me go, not yet.

Christopher

Posted: 3/6/2016 11:13:18 AM
mpampouras

Haha thanks, was asleep indeed.

I have a bunch of friends that do not have cellphones so you're definitely not alone :)

Keep up your great work!

Posted: 3/6/2016 8:16:48 PM
oldtemecula

As I study my approach it becomes more apparent I can dial in different harmonics. This sample below is the same as before but I increase the 5th harmonic for a little more edge in the sound. The EWS brightness control adds this. The waveform knob destroys the wave shape. Good ears should be able to do something special. This is the classic sound of the theremin, it is all natural, I did not invent it. 

All those Epro owners that hear this sound byte, their butt cheeks start quivering as their investment goes down in value.

Here is an Epro, $6600, he saw this TW thread and wants to sell first. Makes me think a brand new EWS modified is worth > $1000

Slightly different EWS sound.wav 3.4 megs     At first I wiggle the sound, then step the notes. Sound Card direct, no processing, no nasty reverb or puny whistles. All from a professional EWS $96 finished board with pitch and volume.

Edit: As a comparison here is the same method using my vacuum tube oscillator, a bit better sound.mp3 with a bit of noise?

Christopher

Posted: 3/10/2016 1:06:17 AM
oldtemecula

I decided to purchase new PCB software to get where I need to go in my technical design. This is a learning curve but I always-enjoyed PCB layout. I am old fashion and this new software I purchased is amazing.

This being Clara Rockmore’s birthday I will declare the discovery I made several years ago in sound will be available to everyone at no cost. If you can make a profit with this mod then you have my blessing. Once I get there I will send you the commercially made PCB to get that cool theremin sound that has been missing for too long. Just prove to me you can solder and I will snail mail the board to you anywhere in the world.

I still need to add the low end buffer section, seen is the harmonic Exciter section.

Thank goodness Tomdog54 said he liked the sound or I would have thought I missed mark again, I am unable to hear properly. This is a start and can be improved upon by the smarter TW engineers.

The board above was my first software test, need to get rid of the surface mount resistors. Figuring out how to build a specific 3D part is still baffling me. The board is missing a part or two.

Old timers will verify I have always said her voice was a gift to me, how I knew is pure madness. (-‘

Leave an email address in my Google forum if you want the PCB in the future.  Buy an EWS board for $96, add my board and you could have the classic theremin sound with better response than the RCA for about $150.

My Google Forum

Hope we all can get there soon.

Christopher

Posted: 3/10/2016 2:58:25 AM
dewster

Christopher, why don't you post a schematic?  I'm curious as to what the 555 is used for.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.