Enhancing The EtherWave Sound

Posted: 5/4/2016 8:42:20 PM
oldtemecula

Once the authentic theremin wave-shape is achieved, the sound Lev Sergeyevich intended becomes more musical without effort.

Listen => A Mad Night in the lab. (channeling the spirits)

So I can't play a tune. Stereo 3-megs wav file. Absolutely no type of processing is used, EWS direct to sound card, this has never been sound before coming out of your speakers. Each channel recorded separately. duh

I posted the complete parts list for both my EWS Enhancement boards, it totals about $35, not including pcb's. Purchase the finished EtherWave Standard board for $96, add my $50 modification and you will have a theremin better in design & sound than the Clara Rockmore original.

- Have the full range of classic theremin sound from beautiful flute to Clara to violin -

Phoenix Breakout Board

Posted: 6/7/2016 11:33:28 PM
oldtemecula

We have not seen my thread in a while. I stuffed the breakout board today in a couple of hours. I am old, shaky and slow. The soldering is not for the newbie. Until I get my attitude and webpage in line here is a photo. I was insulted by someone a week or so ago. Yes probably an engineer, no not dew he gets nothing but hugs from me. If you look close his “dew” is on the board as once in while he spurts out good information.

This is the same board I use with my vacuum tube theremins to get the beautiful sound of RF mixing. It is where the sound is actually conceived "Born", then fed back into the EWS to use its volume control and structure. Don't reinvent the wheel unless you know you can do better.

The top pcb is the $2 - LM386 pitch preview amp with volume control.

1.9" x 3"

Christopher

Posted: 8/9/2016 3:09:38 AM
oldtemecula

TW needs a little stimulation

In my Switched on Clara sound byte I turn on my second EWS Harmonic Exciter PCB board about halfway through. I will be getting 10 of these 4-Layer boards made this week. It has been 15 years in the making, dewster might be the only one to out do my own perseverance. My design will give you flute, Clara, violin or cello, in other words a broader palette of "natural" organic sounds.

This is not for beginners as the soldering is critical. Valery S will receive the two boards at no cost along with all the Mouser parts and a few extra things. I need him to build with success as his homeland is Saint Petersburg, Russia which is also that of my mentor Lev Sergeyevich Termen, whose birthday we celebrate on Monday 8/15. There will be five other PCB sets available to anyone at no cost that can prove they have building skills. 

For everyone the red wire seen through the volume loop below is rated at 40,000v and completely prevents static discharge damage to your theremin, softens the volume response near the loop, gives a nice shading window and lets you grab the loop with a smooth transition. The volume circuit adapts nicely and does not need re-tuning. Static discharge off your fingertip is never more than 10,000 volts. ebay

The 3" x 3" green board at the top of the photo is there for simulation of the actual board.

Edit: 10 pcs of the 4-layer PCB have been ordered, should have by Sept 1, it is fascinating how many little tweaks came about in the last few weeks. Flute, Clara, Violin are straight forward. Cello we will have to wait and see how realistic.  

Christopher

Posted: 8/13/2016 8:29:37 PM
senior_falcon

Hi Christopher:

Is this compatible with Thierry's ESPE01 board? As I remember, that was soldered into the holes in the etherwave board where your green, white, black and red wires are connected.  

Posted: 8/14/2016 2:07:49 AM
oldtemecula

Hello senior falcon,

I would only do my modification on a virgin EWS. I keep promising Valery S all the parts and realize he does his mods on an EW plus. I know nothing about Thierry's mod but it appears we would overlap. My RF connection is by pulling C2 and then connect to the two pads. This works out better for linearity than pulling C6.

We can not take my approach serious until we hear several of the final sound bytes. What I am doing is very complex, the last engineer to view my full schematic had migraine headaches the following week.

My preference is for Valery to get another EWS which I would help him with the purchase if needed. Are EWS's hard to find in Saint Petersburg or nearby I wonder? 

Valery I will email you this week, I have been organizing information, my brain is slowly coming back online after tweaking the 4-layer board for production.

Christopher

Posted: 8/16/2016 7:17:39 PM
Valery

Hi, Christopher! Unfortunately Etherwave standard and Plus we are always available. You can buy at the flea market when they are available. If through the store, then you need to book and after 2-3 months it will take. And sometimes they say that order is impossible. In addition, it then becomes more expensive. I just bought my tool. I think I will be able to try the Phoenix on a Plus not destroying it completely. Especially because I already made a connector to connect modules similar to the module of Thierry. 

Posted: 8/16/2016 7:24:04 PM
Valery

Oh, it seems the translation was not very accurate. In the free market we have termenvox no. Order them in the store, if possible. Or order from the manufacturer.
Posted: 8/16/2016 7:28:47 PM
oldtemecula

Hello Valery S,

You and your friend is very good at playing the theremin. I understand your EtherWave approach better now and I think it's good. The terminal on the edge of the Board for connection is perfect. Then use the 3.5mm terminal to replace where the 15pF capacitor has been removed.

I use Yandex translator English to Russian, then to English to see the translation, sometimes funny!

Christopher

Posted: 8/16/2016 7:34:22 PM
Valery

;) By the way I also use the Yandex. And, too, sometimes laugh.
I am very familiar with a soldering iron and electronic components. If there is a schematic diagram of the device - unable to understand any. ;)
Posted: 9/1/2016 12:22:13 AM
oldtemecula

Don't want to roll over on my own page.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.