Theremini stabilisation issues

Posted: 1/25/2017 3:41:34 PM
Bannazkit

Hello! Greetings! Goodday/and/or/Goodnight!

I bought a Theremini in November last year, and I have really been enjoying my time with it so far.

However I have had alot of trouble keeping the damn thing in tune! Sometimes the pitch will swing in an interval of 3-4 semitones(sometimes even more!) - even when i'm not near enough to affect the antennas. I'm using the "theremin mode" on the Theremini, and the strange thing is that when the pitchfield is reversed(moving closer to the antenna lowers the pitch instead of raising it)
the pitch is many times more stable. I have tried switching to a grounded cable, but that didn't seem to do anything.

I am aware that theremins are very sensitive instruments, but this seems a bit excessive to me. Does anyone have som advice that might be of some help?

Posted: 1/25/2017 8:14:40 PM
dewster

Things that come to mind: 

1. Try reflashing the firmware.

2. My bet is ESD got your pitch oscillator.  Connecting unprotected CMOS gates directly to floating bare metal that gets touched a lot is pretty much asking for it (though it's par for the course in Theremin circles).

Posted: 1/25/2017 9:03:48 PM
Bannazkit

"Things that come to mind:  1. Try reflashing the firmware. 2. My bet is ESD got your pitch oscillator.  Connecting unprotected CMOS gates directly to floating bare metal that gets touched a lot is pretty much asking for it (though it's par for the course in Theremin circles)."

I have tried resetting the Theremini and updating the firmware, and that didn't do alot.

Sooo.. What could be done to remedy this ESD? I hadn't heard of it before, but a quick google search helped.

Posted: 1/26/2017 1:57:31 AM
dewster

"Sooo.. What could be done to remedy this ESD?"  - Bannazkit

Get it repaired or replaced - hopefully under warranty?

Posted: 1/26/2017 10:40:56 AM
Bannazkit

Well.. I can't say that it hadn't crossed my mind. I guess i'll have to look into it..

Thanks for your help! Hopefully you are right, and I will be theremining away within the forseeable future.

Posted: 1/27/2017 4:53:46 PM
dewster

After it's fixed / replaced, I recommend you cover the pitch antenna in heat shrink tubing.  Not guaranteed protection against ESD, but better than the nothing that Moog is currently giving you.  I can't believe the Theremini oscillators made it out of the schematic review, someone's hair should have caught fire just glancing at them.  This business...

Posted: 8/5/2017 12:13:32 PM
Atmosfera

Dewster I recived my theremini Yesterday and I have the same problem!! I tune normal very goed and I able to play classical with it, but with the theremini it's impossible to mantein a note!!!! And don't talk about doing a vibrato!!!!!

Sorry for my English,  It's terrible!  I hope you can undersrand me....

Posted: 8/5/2017 2:30:18 PM
Thierry

Please understand that the Theremini is not a real Theremin but rather a Synthesizer with a very simple, cheap and bad gesture control. People who want to have a true joyful Theremin experience should strongly consider putting the Theremini where it belongs (trash) and buy a real Moog Etherwave Standard or Plus Theremin.

Posted: 8/5/2017 4:16:40 PM
Bavary

Please understand that the Theremini has a lot of settings, that are not visible, specially the tuning values. I got good results with "theremin mode" set to "on" (available only in version 1.1.1 in "advanced settings"). And do not have any stability problems. Which firmware version does it have (press the setup button and turn it on)? A good ground connection is essential. Not all wall outlets have proper ground. It has an extra Gnd-screw at the back. Connect a wire from there to a water pipe, heating radiator or a _big_ metal thing. See the FAQ in the manual: 5. “MY THEREMINI SEEMS VERY UNSTABLE.”
Posted: 8/6/2017 5:10:55 PM
Atmosfera

Thanks Bavary. I've  put a carpet on the floor and it seemscto be more stable now,,,,But not as much as I wanted.

I have to spend many hours with him to meet him and read your advices. They are helping me a lot.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.