Etherwave Standard vs. Plus

Posted: 7/29/2017 12:45:52 PM
Richard75

Hello all!

I'm a newcomer here. Purchased my first theremin (a B3 Deluxe) a few months ago, and I've become surprisingly competent in playing it. And as much as I love the sound and simplicity of the B3, I'm looking to upgrade to an Etherwave.

My question is, I'm unsure if I should get a Standard or a Plus. Cost is not a major issue here, and I intend to install the ESPE01 regardless (eventually). I'll probably never use the extra CV controls of the Plus, as I'm interested solely in theremin playing, but the pitch preview function is very attractive to me (though the same could sort of be achieved with a Standard and a pedal tuner I guess). I've read Thierry's excellent breakdown in a previous post on why the Plus isn't necessarily the better choice, but I wanted to gather opinions before making a final decision.

Any thoughts, concerns, or ideas I should take into account?

Posted: 7/29/2017 3:11:08 PM
dewster

Have you tried locating your monitor speaker up behind your head?  This is the way the original Theremins gave a sort of "pitch preview".

You could hook a guitar (or similar) tuner up to the pitch preview output too, as it isn't gated.

Perhaps the CV pitch output could be connected to some sort of voltage display to give a much more responsive and useful tuner? Though I have no idea how well the CV tracks the actual heterodyned pitch.

One thing I haven't heard anyone discuss here is the use of the CV outs to tune the EW+, I wonder if they might be useful in that regard?  

I suppose it seems I'm agitating for you to get the Plus, but I'm not (unless the Plus features are useful to you).  I suppose the Plus would have higher resale value, but not sure that would offset the higher purchase price.  You could add pitch preview to the EWS later, though that would likely be a cumbersome retrofit.  With cost not a major issue I'd say go for the Plus.

Posted: 7/29/2017 3:14:32 PM
oldtemecula

Richard said: "Cost is not a major issue here, and I intend to install the ESPE01 regardless surprised (eventually). I'll probably never use the extra CV controls of the Plus, as I'm interested solely in theremin playing, but the pitch preview function is very attractive to me"

I think you answered your own question and so the basic EtherWave Standard is the finest available theremin today though if you want that Clara sound it does fall way short. The EWS is a solid construction to learn from. If you have electronic skills like tight soldering I also have an EWS add-on that does not get as much attention as Thierry's because I give my PCB's away at no cost to people in the states. You would order your own parts from Mouser for $35. I like buying EWS's used which may need antenna circuit tuning for improved pitch linearity as this is knowledge or a skill you will want to learn eventually.

I am semi retired at theremins but take a lookwink

Christopher

Posted: 7/29/2017 4:58:18 PM
Richard75

"If you have electronic skills like tight soldering I also have an EWS add-on that does not get as much attention as Thierry's because I give my PCB's away at no cost to people in the states. You would order your own parts from Mouser for $35. I like buying EWS's used which may need antenna circuit tuning for improved pitch linearity as this is knowledge or a skill you will want to learn eventually. I am semi retired at theremins but take a look.  Christopher"

Interesting! Options are always good, and it seems those are few and far between in the world of theremins. How does your add-on affect the linearity compared to Thierry's? I have effectively zero experience with electronics and soldering unfortunately, but I would practice before going anywhere near my theremin with a soldering iron. I'm a chemist by trade though, so I'm pretty decent with fine details and directions in general. Would your add-on work with a Plus, or is it strictly for the Standard?

dewster, thank you for your input. I'm pretty new to electronic instruments (grew up playing violin, then piano), so a lot of these possibilities/features seem very foreign and unnecessary to me. But I think I'd rather have them and not need them than suddenly realizing I want them and not have them.

Posted: 7/29/2017 5:16:02 PM
dewster

"I'm pretty new to electronic instruments (grew up playing violin, then piano), so a lot of these possibilities/features seem very foreign and unnecessary to me. But I think I'd rather have them and not need them than suddenly realizing I want them and not have them." - Richard75

That's good reasoning IMO.  Lots of players use pitch preview, you should have the option to try it for a while at least to see if its something you can employ too.

Thierry's ESPE01 mod will really improve the bass end, I recommend it highly.  If you live anywhere near NJ I could install it for you.

Posted: 7/29/2017 5:56:16 PM
oldtemecula

Richard said: "Would your add-on work with a Plus, or is it strictly for the Standard?"

The EWS Standard & Plus are identical except the Plus has added circuitry near the output for CV. They have the same audio sound at the 1/4" output jack.

Thierry and I mix the RF signals (heterodyning) at the beginning of the process but in a more controlled manner to get the better low end sound.  dewster showed me how to do this. My method alone enhances the even harmonic overtones for a brighter or vocal sound.

Pitch linearity is a different aspect of the theremin and to say what we are doing improves linearity is a slight misnomer or illusion.

Ten years ago I presented this vocal sound natural & organic and it seems most people since with the rise of digital just want a cheap digital whistle or cheap in general. There is the possibility, as I do not hear well, that I am hearing something from my soul rather than what they hear. surprised

Here in California a used EWS can be easily picked on Craigs List for $200, great to experiment with, today a buyers market. The digital Theremini destroyed serious theremin interest. Often there will be one EWS for sale along with four Theremini for sale.

Christopher 

Posted: 7/29/2017 7:12:49 PM
Richard75

"Here in California a used EWS can be easily picked on Craigs List for $200, great to experiment with, today a buyers market. The digital Theremini destroyed serious theremin interest. Often there will be one EWS for sale along with four Theremini for sale. Christopher"

I never even really considered the Theremini when I decided I wanted a theremin. It just looks like a toy, and (I believed) would remove the fun and challenge, and thus the appreciation, of learning a new instrument. Almost like learning a 54-key light up keyboard instead of an actual piano. The B3 Deluxe seemed like the good starting point.

Could you elaborate on how the linearity is improved with the added modules? If it actually comes down to fine tuning, then it should be possible to improve linearity without them?

dewster, I actually live in eastern PA, maybe a 30 minute drive to the PA/NJ border. I might have to take you up on that offer! I'd never forgive myself if I botched a perfectly good Etherwave. 

Posted: 7/29/2017 7:49:05 PM
oldtemecula

Richard said: "Could you elaborate on how the linearity is improved with the added modules? If it actually comes down to fine tuning, then it should be possible to improve linearity without them?"

The add-on modules do not improve linearity with any significance, linearity is a different process. Some may use this as a faux selling point.

With dewster near you he can hotrod your theremin. He has a lot of time invested studying the theory of linearity.

I have never met a thereminist or even a musician. When someone new shows up at TW I get excited and must know where they are located. If nearby I would give them, at no cost, everything theremin that they need. Catasauqua

Everytime I post it is advertising to find that special talent in my neighborhood.

Christopher

Posted: 7/29/2017 8:31:45 PM
Richard75

"I have never met a thereminist or even a musician. When someone new shows up at TW I get excited and must know where they are located. If nearby I would give them, at no cost, everything theremin that they need. Catasauqua Everytime I post it is advertising to find that special talent in my neighborhood. Christopher"

Everyone I've talked to so far (including people at the local Guitar Center) either have no idea what the instrument is, or have only a vague memory of the sound (the latter mostly Trekkies I know). I'm very happy to see at least a small group of people keeping the classical potential alive, not just weird sound effects for the next Ed Wood.

Also, did you track my IP address? Haha, you could've just asked tongue-out

Posted: 7/30/2017 3:26:37 AM
dewster

"I never even really considered the Theremini when I decided I wanted a theremin. It just looks like a toy, and (I believed) would remove the fun and challenge, and thus the appreciation, of learning a new instrument."

The Theremini is a toy.  The oscillators are very low voltage (swing at the antennas), the numerical processing doesn't give a linear response, and it has very low gestural bandwidth.  Great fun as a conversation piece on the coffee table, but I wouldn't want to try to use it as a serious musical instrument.  It's really too bad, with more engineering effort it could have been a contender.  Moog Inc. went for the low hanging "woo woo" fruit, and by doing so damaged the whole field to some degree.  If all you know is the Theremini you really haven't experienced what a Theremin can do.

"Could you elaborate on how the linearity is improved with the added modules?"

The bass module actually does linearize things to some degree, the bass in the far field becomes much smoother and less abrupt as you approach the null point.  It doesn't do anything for the mid and near field linearity however.

"dewster, I actually live in eastern PA, maybe a 30 minute drive to the PA/NJ border. I might have to take you up on that offer! I'd never forgive myself if I botched a perfectly good Etherwave."

The trick is to snip the stock capacitors in half, which makes desoldering them a lot easier (you don't want to put too much heat on a phenolic PWB, and spare caps with long leads are part of the kit).  You may have trouble getting your hands on an ESPE01 module, if so let me know and I might be able to fabricate one on vector board.  And I can certainly install it for you, PM me if interested.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.