A total beginner, needs help!

Posted: 1/29/2019 9:16:23 AM
caro

Hello.
I have bought Theremin Etherwave Plus via thomann.de, the first thing I have got is an adapted that was not for theremin at all, but some other Moog instrument. It took 10 days to get another adapter.

Than I have the following problems today I have started for the first time:

1. The distance between the lowest note and antenna is very short. Even if I calibrate to the longest distance it is just 15 cm. Is that OK? seems to be to short.
2. There is a constant 50Hz sound, that is kept all the time. I never get pure sound, but distorted in a way (pitch + 50Hz pitch). When I am on the "bottom pitch" (so to say when the pitch is zero) than I still hear 50Hz pitch.
3. When i go down with the dynamics it is OK, until I touch the volume antenna, than it happens a buzz, high pitch, and even if I hold my hand on the antenna and move slightly, I get high pitch buzz.

What I am doing wrong?

Posted: 1/29/2019 9:38:43 AM
RoyP

Hello Caro,

from your post that you ordered your EW from Thomann, I'm guessing that you are in Europe somewhere.

From what you write, I'd say that your problems stem from not having a good earth / ground connection to the theremin. Or maybe even no earth at all.

Usually, the earth will be through the amplifier which is connected to the theremin :the amp will be earthed and share the earth to the instrument via the audio cable linking them both.

The 50Hz hum is a give away, I think.

Also, the high pitched buzz from the volume antenna is normal when it is touched. At least, a similar thing happens with mine!

So...look to the earthing and your problems may disappear before you know it!

Roy

Posted: 1/29/2019 9:47:11 AM
caro

Hello Caro,from your post that you ordered your EW from Thomann, I'm guessing that you are in Europe somewhere.From what you write, I'd say that your problems stem from not having a good earth / ground connection to the theremin. Or maybe even no earth at all.Usually, the earth will be through the amplifier which is connected to the theremin :the amp will be earthed and share the earth to the instrument via the audio cable linking them both.The 50Hz hum is a give away, I think.Also, the high pitched buzz from the volume antenna is normal when it is touched. At least, a similar thing happens with mine!So...look to the earthing and your problems may disappear before you know it!Roy

Thank you.

Yes, I am in Europe.
I have an electric socket controller ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Schwabe-socket-neutral-conductor-connection/dp/B01I3IPV1I ) and it shows everything is OK with the power and earth.

What do you mean by "The 50Hz hum is a give away, I think." ?

I have seen other people touching the volume volume without a buzz.

Posted: 1/29/2019 10:05:18 AM
RoyP

In Europe the mains voltage is 50Hz AC, so there is a fair chance that if there is a rogue noise in your system buzzing or humming at 50Hz, connected to the mains, then an earthing problem should not be discounted. One often gets similar earthing loops between amps and musical instruments creating a buzz.

Your power checker will check the mains at the socket. If your EW adapter has a false earth pin, then there will be no earth to the instrument via the adapter.

Roy

Posted: 1/29/2019 10:22:00 AM
caro

What can I do? The EW adapter is just for the instrument, not a custom one.
I have connected to the another socket and it is the same.
Yes, I understand that 50Hz is from the power supply, but how to avoid that?

Also, what can I do with the distance? The distance is very very close. I get the lowest note 15-20 cm from the antenna. I have watched Carolina Eyck's videos about the tuning, and also read Moog's manual, but I can't get the lowest note longer than 20 cm.

Posted: 1/29/2019 10:47:46 AM
RoyP

As I understand it, EW power adapters do not provide the earth connection to the EW.
This earth is provided from the grounding to the amplifier that you connect it to.
If your amplifier is battery operated, then you will have to find some way to take a separate earth to the instrument.
Get a good earth and the other problems will more than likely, go away.

Roy

Posted: 1/29/2019 11:57:54 AM
caro

As I understand it, EW power adapters do not provide the earth connection to the EW.This earth is provided from the grounding to the amplifier that you connect it to.If your amplifier is battery operated, then you will have to find some way to take a separate earth to the instrument.Get a good earth and the other problems will more than likely, go away.Roy

Ok, I think I start to understand. I will try to re-interpret your words:

The power adapter cannot provide the ground BY DEFAULT, it means no one produced with Moog's Etherwave can provide the earth.

That is what I understand.

Why is that done so by design, isn't it better to provide one with the earth?

EDIT:
Now I read the manual:
For North American 110V the ground is provided by the adapter, but with 220V it needs to be provided by the amplifier.

Posted: 2/6/2019 8:13:38 PM
caro

Hello.
I have discovered finally the problem. I didn't have proper earth connection. It is pity that the EU adapters don't provide earth. I was very confused. The most of my problems have disappeared now.
Thank you!

Posted: 10/24/2020 9:03:27 PM
DiggyDog

I'm glad you figured it out.  I was going to say that a possible cause for the hum at that frequency could be fluorescent lighting or some other equipment nearby.  

If you haven't already, try moving the instrument to a different place.   Also, plug it into a different outlet and see if that helps.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.