Searching for my first Theremin

Posted: 2/2/2019 12:49:45 AM
angelclaw

I'm sure you guys get this topic a lot by newcomers but I'd apreciate it if y'all helped me out.

I'm looking to buy my first Theremin, and have looked arround a bit, but can't decide. I'm between Burns B3 Pro and Moog Etherwave (as a lot of newcomers, apparently). Please keep in mind that if I go with one Etherwave I'll probably add the ESPE01 as well.

What I wanted to know is: is there a sound difference between the two Etherwaves (Standard and Plus)? And can the B3 Pro match against an Etherwave + ESPE01?

Posted: 2/2/2019 11:57:15 PM
xtheremin8

hi,
go for the etherwave. 
there is no difference in sound between plus/standard. the espe has an effect on the original sound, but i don’t know how to describe that. “smoother” doesn’t seem to fit..... you should check out those threads and topics here, regarding the espe module.
if you already have or consider to jump into the abyss of cv-synths: go for the plus. if not: save the money and buy a standard. 

btw.: if you need a small practice amp: ikea has nice 20w bluetooth speakers: eneby, 20x20 cm, very cheap, ~60$, but quite powerfull even in the low range. i just had a earfull at the academy in lausanne and it’s surprising good for that price. (of course, ikea is a controversional thing.)

Posted: 2/3/2019 1:21:48 AM
angelclaw

Thanks
There's a Brazillian dude that sells a Themerin with the Moog eletronic parts, just changes the cabinet (a little smaller, not solid wood). It's a fuckton cheaper and should have the same sound as the Etherwave, so maybe I'll go with that. The Etherwave is prettier tho.

Posted: 2/4/2019 1:25:55 PM
xtheremin8

angelclaw, do you mean that brazilian theremin?
direct link: http://theremin.com.br
discussion was here: http://www.thereminworld.com/Forums/T/23522/theremin-in-brazil---theremin-no-brasil#157927
looks quite nice. i’m not sure if the espe module could be as easily be fitted into it, as it is with the original. but i guess it can be done. maybe the guy produces with the module already inside? (and sells it tuned properly)....

Posted: 2/5/2019 6:47:10 AM
angelclaw

Yep that's the one.
  The eletronics are just like the original Etherwave, nothing added, but the guy who sells them said you can install the module if you want to. It looks nicer than the other brazilian Theremin (Theremy), and probably sounds better too.
  But I still think the Moog looks better, and less fragile. The RDS is smaller too.

Posted: 2/22/2019 9:40:04 PM
rupertchappelle

I play a harrison instruments model 301.

Plate antennas make it easy to play accurately.

Effects boxes are ideal for tonal control.

Look up national electrophonic on youtube.

Never practice, never rehearse, just play.

Although now i can play "theremin"' by adjusting the slider on a korg arp odyssey module - the LFO give it superior vibrato and i can run it into the same box the fixes the theremin into a mellotron. An LFO goes way faster than your limbs can and once the slider hits a note it stays there.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.