One-handed theremin with two antennas on the same side

Posted: 2/13/2019 6:03:13 PM
nclm

It just crossed my mind, what if there was a theremin with the two antennas on the same side? You could play with only one hand: one axis for pitch, one axis for volume. Up and close to the instrument for a high-volume high-pitched sound, down and far for a low-volume low-pitched sound.

And you could make a theremin with two of these on each end: a stereomin. A two-handed player would be able to do two notes at the same time, and therefore chords, or accompaniment and main melody, etc.

Something like that:

How unrealistic is it?

Posted: 2/13/2019 7:01:09 PM
oldtemecula

I did design a theremin for a veteran that lost an arm in Iraq, but we used his knee for volume control.

My first reaction is you are making the already impossible even more impossible. Then I think back and the original theremin inventor did something that was more than one musical note at a time. Not seeing much literature on it today might mean the idea was short lived.

That does not mean you can’t eventually figure something out. It is always fun when people post their “working” results to TW and even more fun if they show how they did it.

Christopher

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.