Music Stand

Posted: 9/26/2019 1:06:44 AM
DanielMacKay

Guys and girls and those who are neither:

For a Moog Etherwave, what do you use for a music stand and where do you put it?

Posted: 9/26/2019 11:00:43 AM
RoyP

How about a standard, run-of-the-mill music stand like Satenik has?
Or if you want to go fancy, then a more substantial one like Lydia and Carolina are using, all shown in the video linked below.

I guess the trick would be to have all of the music laid out on the stand before you start so that you don't have to reach over the EW (or whatever) to turn the pages.

I know that the metal of the stand might interfere with the field(s) but demonstratably, this does not get in the way, presumably 'corrected for' by careful adjustment of the tuning control.

Martin Ulikhanyan - " Triangulum " Lydia Kavina , Satenik Hakobyan - Ulikhanyan , Carolina Eyck

Posted: 9/26/2019 12:02:11 PM
DanielMacKay

Hmmm... my assumption was that a metal music stand *would* interfere.  Will have to try it.

Posted: 9/26/2019 3:42:21 PM
Thierry

A music stand interferes. But there are a few simple hints to minimize its impact on the pitch field, so that it can easily be compensated by turning the pitch knob a little :

Put the music stand as far away behind the Etherwave as your eyesight allows. Practice well so that you know basically the score by heart and you can get away with occasional look-ups. Lower the music stand as low as possible, ideally in a way that the upper edge is at the same height as your theremin (belly height). If it's far away enough, you will have full page view, though. That's easy and that's all.

Edit: I had totally forgotten about that "Triangulum" video. Besides the fact that the camera angle does not allow to see that the music stands of all thereminists were more than two feet (or 60cm) away from their instruments, you can see the author of these lines conducting... ;-) 

Posted: 9/26/2019 3:46:52 PM
rupertchappelle

As long as the music stand is not moving it is not an issue anymore than one's own body or gut.

You just adjust the pitch range knob to make it right, not unlike one would have to if one attended an all you can eat buffet prior to performance.

You body swaying is the real problem - study mime or sit.

I am not about ready to put on white face so I sit.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.