Pitch change when touching the Audio Out wire

Posted: 10/15/2019 6:58:56 PM
DanielMacKay

I just discovered that if I touch the Audio Out wire between my Etherwave and the amplifier with my foot, the pitch goes up by a little over a semitone.

Is this normal? 

I live in a seventy year old house where the ground on the electrical outlet is almost certainly not connected to anything.

Posted: 10/15/2019 7:14:44 PM
JPascal

I think this is normal. That is not why the cinch audio socket is bad grounded. But your body capacitance to ground gets higher. The pitch antenna notices that... 

Posted: 10/15/2019 7:40:46 PM
rupertchappelle

Don't touch it, don't touch anything, it changes the values of the circuit. And make sure everyone keeps at least 4'33" away from the instrument when you perform. Watch out for lead guitar players . . . they like to showboat.

Posted: 10/15/2019 9:50:57 PM
dewster

It's normal.  If I touch my foot to the metal leg of my workbench the pitch changes at least a semitone.  I think this effect was used on at least one Theremin in the past.

Posted: 10/16/2019 12:33:28 AM
oldtemecula

Would Toe Tapping a ground Be Hands Free?  Let me entertain you.

This is a subject the bit shifters use to slap me around because many did not grasp how RF energy plays a role in theremin design. I originally coined the term “Radiation Resistance” but that gave some blue balls so I have since switched to the term “Pitch Field Resistance”.

As dew mentioned this is a great effect if you harness it or use it as a switch in theremin design.

Hold your hand 20 cm from the pitch rod and you have a specific capacitance, touch your toe to a grounded object and you decrease the resistance of the player capacitive loop.

bit-shifters what do you think this resistance shift is attenuating?

To avoid those that try to misguide you, ask them for a sound sample of their research, simple to do, pull your head out along with theirs. Everyone's an expert, seperate the BS by listening to their sound.

My theremin design is completely original as it was brought to my attention in 1965 by Brian Wilson. I had developed my basic approach using only Radio Shack parts long before I had heard of Lev Sergeyevich or Bob Moog. The theremin is a very simple principle unless you are misguided by the gigabytes of misleading stuff on the internet. 800k views?

Someone recently mentioned that my build does not sound like a RCA and my reply is why would I want that as I never heard of that brand early on? Does Moog or RCA worship actually exist, maybe blinding people, I am not a musician.

My goal is harnessing a hands free beautiful sound without too many gimmicks. I had a beautiful sound 10 years ago and stepped aside so the bit-shifters could do their whistle thing. If done right those do sound good but no doubt the probable latency will bother many? The truth is health took me down but I might be coming back due to Ozempic for $900 a month.  dewster is saying oh shit.

I do not care if the theremin is touched, has plate antennas as long as what it does is “beautiful” and not just notes, a keyboard will do that. Do not generate just notes and noise for the self absorbed and play a tune.

Is the E-pro a digital front end, I can’t imagine it is as it does not seem to have the self inflicted bit shift issues.

Life has taught me that really stupid people often think they are smart, they become your boss and really smart people realize how stupid they are.

IMHO

Christopher

Posted: 10/16/2019 3:27:37 AM
dewster

"The truth is health took me down but I might be coming back due to Ozempic for $900 a month.  dewster is saying oh shit."

I wish you a long, healthy, and happy life Christopher.

Posted: 10/17/2019 3:24:50 PM
rupertchappelle

Ozempic???

YIKES!!! This is not the century to develop diabetes in and time machines are not currently in use.

Posted: 10/18/2019 1:13:37 AM
oldtemecula

YIKES!!! This is not the century to develop diabetes in and time machines are not currently in use.

Rupert,

Diabetes is genetic as my grandmother in her last days 1960's had her foot removed and  then my good friend went blind due to eye blood vessel leakage because he had that no doctor belief.  Diabetes is bigger than the social media version that gets all the hype. I use to run two to five miles a day for thirty years when it took me down. You would scare me if you were my family member at my bedside on my last day of life arguing with the doctor ...do not give him more Oxycontin ...let him hurt so he does not become addicted!

I am sure Dr. McCoy or "bones" on Star Trek would have the solution.

Christopher

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.