Forum Decorum Fails

Posted: 2/28/2020 3:13:22 AM
oldtemecula

I like the roll-over

dewster said: "Anybody who's been here for a while knows Christopher is clearly talking about me, and also about Roger.  Endless sniping.  Endless false claims.  Constant derailing of threads to push his Phoenix.  Constant bad faith arguing.  Can't even compliment someone without taking a swipe at me."

Why do you put down my claims when my stuff works. Send your stuff to a neutral Thereminist so we know who has more credibility.

You have your opinion and I have mine. How many builders did you mislead verses help to successfully build a theremin after eight years. TW is too nice to point how you have gone off the rails with misguided ideas and destroyed the dream of many.

I almost want to cry, 1,000,000 views and it was just changing nonsense year after year.

I watched them take your approach apart on LEVNET as you seem deaf to what the theremin concept is about.

Those capable of deleting this post know exactly what I am talking about.

Go away and come back with something that works and we will all applaud you.

Christopher

Edit: I am working on the static discharge experiment which I will put on video for evaluation. Now have the 25kv BBQ starter, it is an ass kicker. Also purchased 10M ohm 10 kv HV resistors. Hope not to blow my scope, will make a voltage divider.

Edit2: If you do not comment on my research in the future which is stuff that works, I will not hint about your nonsense in my posts.

Posted: 2/28/2020 5:28:35 AM
dewster

"Why do you put down my claims when my stuff works."  - oldtemecula

You yourself said the Phoenix doesn't have perfect linearity, that you haven't performed any ESD testing, and that your oscillator coupling comes and goes.  So it's not me that's disputing your own false claims, it's you.

"I almost want to cry, 1,000,000 views..."

All of your petty, bullying behavior is over ... thread views?  Attention?

"Go away and come back with something that works and we will all applaud you."

Who are people going to believe, you or their lying eyes?  Roger and I have posted video after video of the D-Lev, showcasing linearity, voices, performances, etc. and you're acting bizarrely like they don't exist and no one has seen them.  I've posted MP3 after MP3 and you're whining like I haven't made any.  I'm trying to imagine who you think you're fooling, if indeed it's just an act.

"If you do not comment on my research in the future which is stuff that works, I will not hint about your nonsense in my posts."

Let me get this straight: If I don't pipe up when you're making admittedly false claims, you'll stop cyber-bullying me?  I really think the mods should deal with you (hence this thread).

Posted: 2/28/2020 2:48:57 PM
dewster

"Send your stuff to a neutral Thereminist so we know who has more credibility."  - rstheremin

If you notice, he turns everything into a personal cage match to the death, even trivial technical issues.  He frames everything as a titanic struggle between his approach and everyone else's.  There's plenty of room in the Theremin community for all sorts of takes on what "real" Theremins are to peacefully coexist.

"How many builders did you mislead verses help to successfully build a theremin after eight years. TW is too nice to point how you have gone off the rails with misguided ideas and destroyed the dream of many."

Discussions of how to tackle engineering type problems rationally apparently produces highly dangerous knowledge that will somehow get us all kicked out of the Garden of Eden.  Like one guy in a basement with an FPGA demo board is going to single-handedly demolish an entire field.  The D-Lev turning up in Google a search will be the end of life as we know it.  It's ludicrous.

Posted: 2/28/2020 5:09:50 PM
JPascal

Oh my God! Where are the admins! What a boring shit discussion due to troll and spam behavior. Why do not fill a blog with the phoenix stuff. This here is a forum. Where are the rules? No spam and no permanent provocations to fishing for reactions...

HELP!  

Posted: 3/3/2020 7:58:41 PM
GordonC

One of the junior admins here.

FYI My responsibility is to stamp on spammers, not to moderate discussions, although having been an admin for various forums and mailing lists since the late 1980s I would feel that the petty bickering on TW would fall far below my personal tolerance level. My policy for all out flame wars is to put the well being of the forum first and remove the fewest number of members that will quell the flames. Other admins may feel differently.

With regard to spam postings, I have set up an automated procedure to email me changes to the Recent Posts pages twice a day. Most of the time, other admins have removed spam posts before I get to them. During intensive spamming periods I increase my monitoring and have removed up to twenty posts an hour on occasion.

Posted: 3/3/2020 9:55:57 PM
dewster

For years I had no idea that Touchless was actually Christopher / RSTheremin / oldtemecula / lord knows how many others.  When confronted, Touchless swore up and down that he wasn't Christopher (et alia), but then he slipped up.  To this day he's listed here as an entirely different - recently active - persona (see below).

I mean, that right there would get you instantly kicked off most boards.  It's absolutely toxic to trust.

=======

Currently I have four EWS, two no-name tube theremins which are similar and both are quite remarkable in sound. Everything is 4-Sale in my shop "Classic Antiques", stop by if you visit Tombstone. - - -

About
Activity
    Forum Posts: 176

Posted: 3/3/2020 10:18:58 PM
JPascal

Thanks for your response, CordonC. And for the expensive removing of the spam posts.

Posted: 3/4/2020 8:13:22 PM
dewster

"FYI My responsibility is to stamp on spammers, not to moderate discussions, although having been an admin for various forums and mailing lists since the late 1980s I would feel that the petty bickering on TW would fall far below my personal tolerance level."  - GordonC

I would "argue" with the term "petty bickering" because: 1. it doesn't feel very petty when you're on the constant receiving end, and: 2. bickering implies bothsiderism - that all concerned are at fault.  It's pretty clear that one person has been the problem here ever since he joined, and most altercations with him are self-defense / pushing back against bad behavior.  He was the reason FredM left TW for a while, and I feel badly to this day that I had anything to do with dragging Fred back here, as he was subjected to further rations of shit, literally hounded into his grave.  Fred was one of the kindest and most knowledgeable Theremin designers around, it was just awful the way he was treated.  I know of another member who was quite reticent to join in the fora here, mainly because they'd seen what Fred and others have gone through, and didn't want to deal with the head games.  How many others have not joined / been driven off?

When indexing my D-Lev thread, I was struck by how I would post something, only to have it greeted like clockwork with random heckling and OT nonsense from this one person - it went on like that for a huge stretch of time.  I did my best to ignore it.

"Other admins may feel differently."

Several years ago I got a wild hare and wrote a few posts mostly in fun, but that mocked another TW member.  Thierry promptly deleted them and rebuked me - I understood why, and I regretted my actions and apologized.

Whereas this person has gotten away with posting the IP addresses of those who visited a certain TW page, leaving them up just long enough to presumably have the implied threat sink in, then deleting them.  He uses these sorts of hit-and-run tactics quite frequently here.  He has openly stated that he uses pictures in his posts as a way to gather IP address of TW users.  Just today he posted to TW with a "missing" picture that traces back to his web page.  He does this all the time and I find it quite sinister.  I'm sure there are members here who wish to remain anonymous, and don't expect another member to be hoovering up their IP when they are simply viewing a post.

Combine this with his alternate persona(s) on TW which for whatever reason haven't been deleted / deactivated, and sadly I have to think twice before I reply to anyone new here PM-ing me - is it a sock puppet digging for dirt on me?

"With regard to spam postings, I have set up an automated procedure to email me changes to the Recent Posts pages twice a day. Most of the time, other admins have removed spam posts before I get to them. During intensive spamming periods I increase my monitoring and have removed up to twenty posts an hour on occasion."

I sincerely appreciate all of the effort that must go into keeping the lights on here.  It's not clear to me why new accounts couldn't have a bit more in the way of authentication?

Anyway, not trying to tell anyone what to do, but I've had my fill.

Posted: 3/5/2020 2:37:57 PM
Jason

What do you suggest? We already rely on captcha. I suppose I could require a 30 day period after joining before you can post. I’m open to practical ideas, but  every time I add a new anti-spam measure, they find a workaround. I’m very close to just giving up on the whole thing and closing the doors. 

Posted: 3/5/2020 5:12:17 PM
dewster

"What do you suggest? We already rely on captcha. I suppose I could require a 30 day period after joining before you can post. I’m open to practical ideas, but  every time I add a new anti-spam measure, they find a workaround." - Jason

I don't do web stuff so I don't know what the interface looks like on your side of things.  How many "new members" try to join each day on average?  How many of those are real people?  Would vetting them before they post be easier than booting them after they spam?  I don't think 24 hours from membership application to posting is all that onerous.  Perhaps limit posts to once per day for a trial period.  Vetting might be easier if they were required to provide more info, verification via email, etc.  I'm clearly just spitballing here.

We need something like internet police handling this crap.  I'd personally be fine if they wielded the death penalty (half joking).

"I’m very close to just giving up on the whole thing and closing the doors."

That would be extremely unfortunate, this site is a great resource for a niche field, and there isn't much of the old web left.  Could you perhaps instead turn the keys over to someone else?

But if it comes to shutting it down, could you give us a heads-up?

[EDIT] Jason: if TW is such a gigantic pain in the ass for you and GordonC and the other admins to run, maybe try scaling back things like eliminating the front page article.  Or don't allow comments to them.  Or close the forums to new posting.  Or freeze the entire site but keep it open.

All the doom and gloom talk is really depressing.  I mean, get out of it if it's driving you crazy (easy for me to say!).  I do understand though how responsibilities that start out manageable and sorta fun can end up taking over too much of your life.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.