Quarantine session looper improvisation composition.

Posted: 3/31/2020 7:06:43 PM
DreadVox

I've edited my last post to include the embedded video.

Posted: 4/2/2020 1:01:00 PM
DreadVox

New one posted: a Sad Path - Theremin, mooringkhuur, mbira, voice, percussion [03-2020] - Duration: 3 minutes, 30 seconds.

Quarantine Session Loop Station improvisation in a melancholic mood. Theremin, mooringkhuur (Mongolian horsehead fiddle), mbira (kalimba, thumbpiano), (overtone) voice, percussion and bass (actually an acoustic guitar through the Guitar2Bass effect on RC-202 Loop Station).

Posted: 4/2/2020 2:36:49 PM
dewster

"Theremin, mooringkhuur (Mongolian horsehead fiddle), mbira (kalimba, thumbpiano), (overtone) voice, percussion and bass (actually an acoustic guitar through the Guitar2Bass effect on RC-202 Loop Station)."  - DreadVox

Wow, you must own and play as many exotic instruments as Peter Pringle!  I've never even heard of the mooringkhuur, but it's quite beautiful.

What are your thoughts regarding the RC-202?

Posted: 4/2/2020 4:01:37 PM
DreadVox

I've collected quite some instruments and sound/music/noise toys over time, and sometimes even get gifted (exotic) instruments from people who didn't manage to play them, and I've also made several instruments myself (cigar-box stringed instruments that can be played like a diddly bow or like a 2 string fiddle, bamboo flutes that are in between shakuhachi and quena, with a notched blowing edge, mouthbows, some didgeridoos). On most I'm mainly an autodidact, finding out what works and what I can incorporate in my music, not so much aiming for virtuosity or mastering traditional techniques.

The RC-202 is great, although how I use it turned out a little different than I had in mind. I'm using it more as a studio tool for composing things while improvising and layering sounds on the looper and part of that process happens during my webradio program, usually, a kind of semi-live situation. Sometimes I add a little more afterwards. At some point I copy the contents of the Loop Station's memory storage to the computer and some get postprocessed and remixed to tracks. To use the looper in live on stage situations needs quite some practice and with the theremin it can be easy to get confused between earlier layers and what one is playing at the moment, I'm thinking having the direct theremin signal on one amplifier/monitor (near/behind the head) and the signal of the looper on another (stage floor monitor from P.A.) might help with that. But anyway for the time being live gigs have been cancelled due to the Covid19 outbreak. It gives a very practical way to combine several different instruments all played by myself, with a nicer workflow then overdubbing/multitracking.

The RC-202 is 2-(stereo)-channel desktop model looper, could be used on the floor too when careful (bare feet/socks), there is a socket for either 1 or 2 footswitches or an expression pedal, but I've found it to be a little unreliable and unpredictable with external footswitches.  It has quite a range of useful effects and a fair set of drum rhythms. It has inputs for one XLR microphone and can provide phantom power to a microphone that needs it, 2 phono jacks sockets for line/intrument input, L/mono + R, and a mini-jack line input in front (where I connect my Zoom H2n recorder functioning as a stereo-microphone and/or to play field recordings into the looper). The form factor is nice and 2 loop tracks give some more possibilities than just a single one, while the floor models that have more tracks are quite large, but more practical when they will be mostly operated by foot.

Posted: 4/3/2020 3:38:21 PM
DreadVox

Tudutu - Voice, Theremin, Mbira, Cowbell, Drumming & Percussion - [2:56 minutes]

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.