Volume Loop Only

Posted: 4/23/2020 4:44:37 PM
quinthemighty

Hello friends!

I live in Japan, and made the mistake of attempting to find a theremin in a hurry in the midst of the rising COVID-19 epidemic. As no "proper" theremins which weren't of extremely dubious quality seemed to be easily had via the normal channels (I even had an "in" with a thereminist in Osaka whose husband runs an electronic instrument retail shop), I settled for ordering a pitch-only theremin which doesn't come with a volume loop. I figure if I enjoy it enough I can upgrade to a better instrument at a time when it seems within my budget.

But... I'd really like to play with a volume loop, now. 

I actually found a volume loop-only being sold on the Japanese Amazon... for $600. I contacted the maker (Theremaniacs) and he does sell it for a more reasonable price... but won't be able to begin building another for at least several weeks, even beyond what will be a lengthy shipping time to Japan.

So I'd like to explore the option of building my own volume loop, to which to connect my pitch-only theremin. Are there any plans out there for just this (relatively) simpler building option?

Best to all,
Quin

Posted: 4/23/2020 5:18:41 PM
oldtemecula

Hello Quin,

You said: So I'd like to explore the option of building my own volume loop, to which to connect my pitch-only theremin. Are there any plans out there for just this (relatively) simpler building option?

A quality stand alone Volume Control is just as complicated as the Pitch side circuit if not more. 

That Theremaniac volume control use to be $99 usd ? My impression is it uses a high impedance input to play off of 50/60 hz background hum.

My simplest design is a finger volume control using an LDR light dependant resistor which is what turns many types of night lights on and off.

Use your finger, it is cost effective as the theremin you purchased will demonstrate how they work but you will not develop any useful skill from it.

The finger for $5 will give you better control than a volume loop.

Christopher

Posted: 4/24/2020 10:43:14 AM
quinthemighty

Christopher-- thank you, that's very helpful! Yes, you're right, this seems a practical and affordable option which lets me get my feet wet a little before jumping in.

Posted: 4/24/2020 10:46:11 AM
quinthemighty

That Theremaniac volume control use to be $99 usd ? 

Up to $140 now-- and that's before shipping costs to Japan. Fair enough, whatever the market will bear, I guess...

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.