Moog Etherwave - No Zero Beat or Low End

Posted: 7/10/2020 5:58:46 PM
cmmurray71

Hello!

Brand new to the theremin world and having just picked up my first instrument (moog etherwave standard) I had a quick question regarding the zero beat. Out of the box i am unable to produce a large portion of the low-end notes that i am hearing from videos. I am using videos without the espe01 installed as reference to not confuse the range. Additionally, regardless of the pitch knob setting i am not able to get a zero beat at any point in the knobs setting range. I wanted to get some opinions to see if anyone has encountered a similar issue and if this is something a tuning will fix? I appreciate the thoughts in advance!

Thanks, 
Chris

Posted: 7/10/2020 6:17:53 PM
oldtemecula

Chris, If you are referring to a zero-beat or Null point when the theremin oscillators lock and quiet the sound that is actually a flaw and not desired. If you can take your audio below 30 hz that is exactly what you want. To quiet the sound use a mute switch or throw your audio cable over the loop.

Christopher

Posted: 7/10/2020 8:14:22 PM
cmmurray71

Hi and thanks for the response! Good feedback on the zero-beat, i had assumed that was a part of the normal functionality. In regards to the low end issues im having any thoughts on why i am unable to produce the low frequencies i am hearing on other etherwaves? With the pitch knob all the way to the right the lowest i am hitting is about 1000hz.  The etherwave is on a mic stand and this is even when standing away from the instrument. Thanks again

Posted: 7/10/2020 9:01:26 PM
DreadVox

Is your Etherwave in some way connected to safety earth? (When in USA, have the 3-prong power supply connected to a mains socket with safety earth, when in Europe or elsewhere where you get a 2-prong power adapter, make sure the theremin is connected to an amplifier that is plugged in to a mains socket with safety earth.

Posted: 7/10/2020 11:51:45 PM
cmmurray71

Hi Dreadvox, thanks for jumping in on the post. I have tried the theremin through both an amp and a small recording mixer both with grounded plugs and with /without headphones. I moved it to a few different rooms in the house and im still getting the same range regardless. 

Posted: 7/11/2020 12:31:21 AM
oldtemecula

Did you get that little red swizzle stick for tuning with your EWS purchase? Everyone should learn to do this.

Only adjust L6 the middle square metal can and make a slight movement to zero beat while listening to the sound, all potentiometers centered.

You can see my red tool in the correct IF Transformer.  Ignore those big brackets as I am always experimenting.

When the top of the box is removed it throws the tuning off a bit, what I do is hang a short wire 8' or 20 cm looped at the base off the antenna to make up for no cover. Then remove the wire when you put the cover back on.

Christopher

Posted: 7/11/2020 1:04:41 AM
cmmurray71

Hi oldtemecula, 

Thanks for this, I did not receive the red tuning device but have since ordered a set of plastic adjustment tools that should do the trick. Once they get in i will give tuning the theremin a shot and hopefully that will sort it out. I appreciate the insight!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.