Strange noise from Etherwave plus

Posted: 9/8/2020 3:29:50 PM
Skabbekatten

All of a sudden my brand new and beautiful Etherwave plus starts to make this strange, short bleep sound. It happens randomely, at most every 30 seconds witch of course affects the playing.
What the heck is going on?
I cant seem to upload an example video, but I can send one to you.
Would love to get som help!
/David

Posted: 9/8/2020 4:21:24 PM
oldtemecula

A simple sound sample would be nice though what you describe is beyond me.

The first place I would try is a better earth ground. How are you making this connection?

In the States this is obvious, In Europe this is never very clear to me. Safety Ground?

Christopher

Posted: 9/8/2020 4:52:53 PM
Skabbekatten

I just uploaded a snippet on my Insta, check it out:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE4gS1ogT3o/?igshid=1tvieoiramoel

I think Im well grounded, but your question make me wonder...

Posted: 9/8/2020 4:53:30 PM
Skabbekatten

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE4gS1ogT3o/?igshid=1tvieoiramoel

Posted: 9/8/2020 5:04:14 PM
dewster

That's pretty weird sounding.  Have you tried moving to another room / another outlet?  Do you have a cell phone near it when it makes the sound?

Theremins detect exceedingly small changes in capacitance, so they are wide open for picking up environmental interference.  It's a wonder they work at all.

Posted: 9/8/2020 5:09:14 PM
oldtemecula

A sound is worth a thousand words.

To me that is a mechanical fault. An intermittent ground connection might do this.

Is the Pitch Antenna secure. If you remove the EWS top box there are the famous broken connections found on any of the three antenna coils. With a magnifying loop look closely at the ends of each coil. They seem to be mounted with this wire on top for easy viewing.

The theremin, she has attitude!

Good Luck

Christopher   

Posted: 9/8/2020 6:08:04 PM
Skabbekatten

Oh my! You suggest I should open the thing up? Scary!
Can I fix a broken coil myself, or will I open it just to check and send it for service?
I love me some Etherwave, so this is very sad!
My Theremini just recently flipped and begun doing a lot of crazy things, så that one is in service now.

Posted: 9/8/2020 6:21:06 PM
oldtemecula

No do not open the Theremini. If new send it back if earth ground is not the issue.

With two theremins acting up earth ground is most likely what they have in common.

Christopher

Posted: 9/8/2020 6:27:27 PM
Skabbekatten

Thank you!

Posted: 9/9/2020 5:23:16 PM
Skabbekatten

Oh! Now I´v been in touch with Moog. They say it might be a tuning issue, and that I need to open the box of Etherwave and tune with the little red tool.
Have anyone done this? And do you have further tips? This is the guide that they sent me:

Tuning the Etherwave (10/22/19)[

(1) Make sure the instrument is on a mic stand or on a wooden stool (the instrument is heavily infulenced by its surrounding)

(2) Center the Pitch and Volume controls to 12 o'clock

(3) Adjust L11 with the trimmer tool until you have your prefered volume range

- The instrument should be silent with your hand close to the antenna and at full volume with your hand away from the antenna

(4) Adjust L5 to set the high end of the instrument

- Keep your hand about an inch away from the pitch antenna and adjust for the high freq

(5) Adjust L6 to set the range

- The pitch should be silent when you are arms length away from the instrument

(6) Go back and forth between L5 and L6 unitl you have your desired range.

(7) Screw the lid back on and Enjoy! (the calibration will be slightly off, but adjust the front panel Volume and Pitch controls to desired position)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.