Disappointment

Posted: 9/12/2020 11:02:03 PM
Chappelle

So I went to theremin times to share a playlist.
I guess I dont rate a mention.

Of all types of musicians and there 'culture's theremin players have the highest percentage of snobs elitists and personality disorders.

Best to ignore the whole scene.  . .

Covid-19 transmissions

In 3D cross eyed viewing.

Last post for a while. I'll check back if I successfully rig the November election.

Playing the theremin is the least important thing to me now. Disgusted that pringle ruined the whole thing.

Posted: 9/12/2020 11:21:39 PM
oldtemecula

Rupert you are a gift to all of us as you are real. Pringle which is not his birth name as he must live in the shadow of his older sister who I will not name. He was very good in his day but like the rest of us became a washed up individual with minimal later success.

I know nothing about music and found many musicians had this odd attitude and reflection of self, they are just too bitchen for me. Some do recognize what having a gift truly means as in an instant they know it can be snatched away, visit Wounded Warriors.

I think many of us in our old age reflect on that saying:

"I could have been a contender" "You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am."

I got your message and reviewed some interesting stuff it led me to.

Christopher

Posted: 9/12/2020 11:28:48 PM
DreadVox

Hi Rupert, I must say that I do appreciate you doing your own unique things and style with the theremin as well as the video art you combine it with. 

Posted: 9/13/2020 1:34:46 PM
senior_falcon

"Disgusted that pringle ruined the whole thing."

Funny you should say that. I used to think of the theremin as an electronic toy. Then I heard Peter play and thought: That's the way I want to play! Sadly, I have a looong way to go. Peter once wrote: "a higher than average percentage of thereminists have a lower than average sense of pitch." He knows me so well even though we've never met.
Peter doesn't grade on a curve. If you stink he says so and that is hard for some people to take.

Posted: 9/13/2020 3:06:18 PM
dewster

"Disgusted that pringle ruined the whole thing."  - Chappelle

"He was very good in his day but like the rest of us became a washed up individual with minimal later success."  - oldtemecula

Our trolls are very modest men.

"Playing the theremin is the least important thing to me now."

"I know nothing about music..."

With much to be modest about.

Posted: 3/10/2023 8:32:42 AM
Martel

Accidentally discovered this topic, and read it with Google translator.
It seemed to me that inferiority complexes were indicated here, and dewster subtly and ironically pointed this out)).
What could be more important than humiliating talents in order to become a talent yourself?! What a familiar, favorite technique!))
(and you don’t need to learn to play the theremin at all))

But actually, I wanted to ask where can I put a link to the diagrams of tube theremins from the Brazilian magazine: http://www.novacon.com.br/theremin_articles.htm

Perhaps it will be useful for the site.

Posted: 3/10/2023 3:05:31 PM
DreadVox

I wanted to ask where can I put a link to the diagrams of tube theremins from the Brazilian magazine: http://www.novacon.com.br/theremin_articles.htmPerhaps it will be useful for the site.

Hi Martel,
It would fit best in Theremin General or Theremin Construction forum I think.

Posted: 12/15/2023 8:13:57 AM
weirdvideos

So I went to theremin times to share a playlist.I guess I dont rate a mention.Of all types of musicians and there 'culture's theremin players have the highest percentage of snobs elitists and personality disorders.Best to ignore the whole scene.  . .Covid-19 transmissionsIn 3D cross eyed viewing.Last post for a while. I'll check back if I successfully rig the November election.Playing the theremin is the least important thing to me now. Disgusted that pringle ruined the whole thing.

Q. What did Peter Pringle(?) ruin?
Regarding Theremin, my name is Ross Marshall, and I have been absent for the duration of some of your lives. "In and then Out" . At my ripe old age, I have returned! Thereminists are musicians and artists who fluctuate between manic and depressive states. At 3 Score and 10, minus 2 years, I am of the opinion that one should approach fluctuations as normal. Simply continue trucking. My most egregious defeat and descent into the gutter of bumbness began with the sale of my 91A Big Briar. The only linearity that is evenly distributed and plays quickly. Purchased it in 1992 and sold it a decade later, oblivious to the reality of linearity. After attempting an Moog E-Wave., I nearly vomited - you just can't play classical tunes like Voices of Spring, my favorite piece that no one else can play. It was an extremely cacophonous waste basin for $400 smakers! I am relieved that it belonged to another individual. Twenty years later, after fumbling through various machines, I discovered the Tube Theremin universe to be my best bet in getting closer to Clara; I am currently operating a John Polstra tube version of this device, while attempting to assemble a Clara Theremin using the most expensive tubes available and as many antique components as my meager budget will allow. I am not Peter Pringle; rather, who is affluent and the proprietor of Samuel Hoffman's theremin.
I had the intriguing opportunity to meet Moog at the Hollywood Theremin meeting retro-premiere of "Day the Earth Still." Observed the 91A and obtained one. Later, I met Gary Hoffman and Samuels' theremin; I was on the verge of purchasing it until Gary demanded 10 G's. I nearly convinced him to say seven thousand. I played it at his residence, where it was dilapidated and in poor condition. Later, Peter recovered it and restored it; praise God. Sincerely, I've always been envious. yep, money talks and BS____ walks.
Remain active and persistent in your finger movements. It is difficult to predict when another gust of wind will blow, and remember that NO ONE IS A BUMB when they are a musician or artist; we are only impoverished. Reminds me of a slogan: "A man is only as good as his tools allow him to be." AND, I lost my beloved Briar. :o(
Presently: It is disheartening on the one hand to learn that I will never again be capable of playing those "Little Rascals" at such a rapid pace—Sticcco (Ssp?), nevertheless, the adventure to locate a new girl friend pushes me ever and ever forwards...
On numerous occasions, I had the privilege of working at John Winter's Radio Museum in Bellingham. However, that institution's repair shop was demolished and it was sold for profit. The RCA Theremin is still there present, should I desire to play it again. Despite being sluggish, She was smooth and delightfully pleasant to play. Just don't drive her car too fast. She reminded me always of Clara herself, all nice and antique (rustic) and is a lovely old lady. At this moment, I can hear Her "Voices of Spring" beckoning me for amusement.
Here is Me at the CIA CLUB in Hollywood playing the 91A: 
Please reply anytime- I love to chat.
https://studio.youtube.com/video/1xBcVbARcYE/edit
Me: http://www.weirdvideos.com/music.html

Posted: 12/15/2023 2:22:43 PM
dewster

"My most egregious defeat and descent into the gutter of bumbness began with the sale of my 91A Big Briar. The only linearity that is evenly distributed and plays quickly."  - weirdvideos

Field linearity is a pretty simple divide and conquer thing in the digital domain - no spooky mysteries there, just a fractional power of the offset frequency measurement (gamma function).  You of course want good linearity for the pitch field.  And good linearity forms an ideal basis for the volume field, though you generally don't want the final volume field response to be linear (linear + gain break downward expansion + 2nd order downward expansion + velocity).  No past or current Theremin manufacturers implement all of these features, which is unfortunate.  A digital approach lets you tailor the fields however you like them, and really opens up the timbre generation side too.

Posted: 12/15/2023 10:23:39 PM
oldtemecula

As I always say the ideal theremin has not yet arrived, which will probably be a hybrid, the best of both worlds.

Ideal linearity yes, but a natural beautiful voice, not so fluty would top it off.

I did outstanding in the stock market this week as I map out Market Behavior which I hope helps others.

Merry Christmas

Christopher

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.