Actual information on Claravox

Posted: 7/31/2021 7:42:26 PM
bendra

I’m happy to write that serial no. 0034 is working!! Has been for a week now.Definitely some quirky things with this instrument, but I am going to call it my Bass Theremin. The bass is FAT, and a honestly, amazing.Versus the e-pro, where the pitch and volume increase together, as the pitch gets higher on the Claravox, I find myself raising my hand higher above the loop to increase the volume, where on the e-pro, it’s the opposite.Anyway, having fun with it and am excited for everyone else to receive theirs!@tom_nomnom on Instagram if you want to message me any questions/hear samples etc.

I’ve noticed the same with my theremins - none of them have a consistent volume level across the entire playable pitch range. I end up compensating with my mixer, boosting high frequencies and suppressing low frequencies or vice versa

Posted: 8/1/2021 8:59:49 AM
JPascal

An internal correction of the loudness curve is one of the things should do in the new generation of theremins as well as an acceleration responsiv loudness unit. To the fat bass: a paradoxon is, if you deminish the strong central lowest tone, your bass hearing becomes more fat with the rest of the overtones.  

Posted: 8/9/2021 2:47:30 PM
johnthom

fyi... for the Prymaxe skeptics out there, my order is being delivered today (I ordered on 10/25/2020).  I found this out when I got a text from Fedex yesterday. Never did hear from Prymaxe directly even though I had asked for an update on 8/3 to which they replied, "There's no update yet".  So apparently, they are turning orders around as soon as they get stock from Moog.  Still waiting on the stand to ship however.

Posted: 8/9/2021 3:44:01 PM
ContraDude

fyi... for the Prymaxe skeptics out there, my order is being delivered today (I ordered on 10/25/2020).  I found this out when I got a text from Fedex yesterday. Never did hear from Prymaxe directly even though I had asked for an update on 8/3 to which they replied, "There's no update yet".  So apparently, they are turning orders around as soon as they get stock from Moog.  Still waiting on the stand to ship however.

Congratulations! I filed multiple complaints against Moog a while back with a variety of agencies. One of those, the North Carolina Department of Justice is currently investigating. One of the “defenses” Moog likes to use is that they haven’t collected money from customers, only dealers have (which doesn’t excuse Moog’s silence and other actions. Prymaxe has also been consistently non-responsive. I was advised, a few weeks ago to also file complaints against Moog. I gave Prymaxe more chances and told them I would file complaints if they did not provide me with information. After several claims that they would “get back to me tomorrow” . . . I kept my promise and filed my first complaint against them with the BBB. 

Well, the very next business day (last week), Prymaxe got a promise from Moog that my Claravox will be shipped absolutely no later than mid-September 2021 and that they guaranteed delivery to me by the end of next month. FYI, I ordered my Claravox on December 13, 2020, Prymaxe had told me that I was #11 on their list, and I believe they told me, a very long time ago, that they had sold at least 150 instruments.

So, for those who have heard nothing and would like to see when you might receive delivery of your instrument, I posted the following, three days ago, on Facebook: 

For those of you who have absolutely no news of a delivery date, or even a projected delivery date, the North Carolina Department of Justice (NC DOJ) has opened an investigation into this situation and they are interested in hearing your stories (please note that this is NOT a lawsuit). They are also interested in hearing about your situation even if you are not in the United States. Furthermore, you may report your situation and remain anonymous.

I ordered a Claravox on December 13th and my dealer, Prymaxe, required that I pay in full. At that time, Moog was still claiming that instruments would be shipped by the end of the month (therefore, I didn’t mind paying in full as I expected to receive the instrument in a matter of just two or so weeks).

As a result of my complaints against Moog and Prymaxe, I was notified by my dealer last week that Moog had promised delivery of my instrument to them by mid-September and that I will absolutely receive it by the end of September - no later. In a written communication to the North Carolina Department of Justice, Moog told them that they provided my dealer with an “ETA commitment of September 15th.“ I was instructed by the NC DOJ to report to them when I receive the instrument as they are monitoring the situation.

I think all of you who ordered and expected delivery by the end of last year will be interested in learning that Moog told the NC DOJ that they never represented instruments would be received by December 2020; indeed, here is an EXACT quote from the correspondence Moog just provided the NC DOJ:

“From the beginning, we were clear that we were expecting Claravox to ship in Decemeber of 2020. This was never a guarantee. . .”

Obviously, that is not what was represented and why many of us did place our orders (and in some cases, even paid in full). The NC DOJ already has copies of press releases, articles, web sites, etc, in which Moog did state when the Claravox was supposed to be shipped.

As mentioned above, the North Carolina Department of Justice is interested in hearing your experiences. They are also interested in hearing from international customers, as well as from customers who do not live in that state (I don’t). If nothing else, perhaps they can help you get a commitment as to when you will receive your order. They will take anonymous comments if you just wish to share your experiences. One final thing, I was told it would be best to contact the investigator directly rather than complete their online form as they currently have an open investigation into this matter. You may send me a private message and I’ll provide the name, e-mail address, and phone number of the investigator.

Posted: 8/9/2021 5:44:58 PM
JPascal

May be moog will go bankrupt if all costumers go this way. 

The pre-sale may have been calculated with the cost of some imported parts that "went through the roof". I have heard of a many firms in dangerous circumstances due to the supply chain.

Posted: 8/9/2021 10:19:49 PM
Peragere

Still excited here... wife is waiting with anticipation.

Posted: 8/9/2021 11:28:29 PM
Flounderguts

Someone on ModWiggler (formerly MuffWiggler) reported theirs was shipped from Sweetwater today.

No such luck for me. 

I feel like they're shipping them via lottery, as I ordered mine months before others who have their paws on them!

I emailed my rep...

Posted: 8/10/2021 3:32:37 AM
Jason

Please keep this conversation in topic or I will be forced to lock it. The topic is the actual Claravox theremin, not troubles in producing or shipping them. Feel free to start a different topic for that. 

Posted: 8/10/2021 1:22:01 PM
dewster

"Received my Claravox (00133) yesterday and immediately noticed a major issue.  In traditional mode, the volume response is reversed.  That is to say, the volume goes up as you move your hand towards the loop and vice versa.  In modern mode the same thing although I was able to "kind of" fix it by running the calibration routine outlined in the manual albeit only slightly."  - johnthom

Let us know how it turns out.  They provide a coil adjustment tool, but don't tell you what symptoms you should be looking for.

I didn't realize how similar the calibration process of the Claravox fields was to the Theremini.

Posted: 8/10/2021 1:33:04 PM
bendra

Here's some "actual information on Claravox"...Received my Claravox (00133) yesterday and immediately noticed a major issue.  In traditional mode, the volume response is reversed.  That is to say, the volume goes up as you move your hand towards the loop and vice versa.  In modern mode the same thing although I was able to "kind of" fix it by running the calibration routine outlined in the manual albeit only slightly.  I opened a ticket at Moog support.

Please let us know what happens. You might want to try again in another room (preferably with a concrete floor, like a garage) in case it is a grounding issue.  Assuming that’s not the problem, my expectation is that this will be fixable using the coil adjustment tool (the red screwdriver looking thing that should have come in the box). Good luck!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.