ETHERWAVE PRO BROKEN ~ NEED MANUAL

Posted: 6/22/2021 8:35:40 PM
Amethyste

Hey Fam,
My EPRO stopped working and the technician would like to have the owner's manual if one of you
has it? Or it is already in this forum but I cannot seem to find it ~ if you know, please point my dumbass to it?

I have the schematics already. Thank you in advance!

Amey

Posted: 6/22/2021 8:43:09 PM
bendra

This was posted a few months ago:

http://www.thereminworld.com/forums/T/33339?post=219983#219983

Posted: 6/22/2021 9:12:36 PM
dewster

Hi Amey,

I too would be interested in the user's manual, if you come across it please let me / us know!  And if you have annotated schematics (with component values like 10k, 0.01uf, etc.) PLEASE let me / us know!

Do you have this manual / schematics?: http://www.thereminworld.com/forums/T/28554?post=220614#220614

If your technician can't fix it, I probably could (for free).

Posted: 6/22/2021 11:34:48 PM
Amethyste

Hi Amey,I too would be interested in the user's manual, if you come across it please let me / us know!  And if you have annotated schematics (with component values like 10k, 0.01uf, etc.) PLEASE let me / us know!Do you have this manual / schematics?: http://www.thereminworld.com/forums/T/28554?post=220614#220614If your technician can't fix it, I probably could (for free).

That is very sweet of you ~ I would be fine sending it to you!
I'll wait and see what the technician says ~> doesn't look promising lol.

I'll keep you updated!

PS: the link in the above post points you to the manual.

Posted: 6/22/2021 11:35:12 PM
Amethyste

This was posted a few months ago:http://www.thereminworld.com/forums/T/33339?post=219983#219983

That's it??? 
lol... kind of useless...

Thank you for the information.

Posted: 6/23/2021 12:39:29 PM
Amethyste

Hi Amey,I too would be interested in the user's manual, if you come across it please let me / us know!  And if you have annotated schematics (with component values like 10k, 0.01uf, etc.) PLEASE let me / us know!Do you have this manual / schematics?: http://www.thereminworld.com/forums/T/28554?post=220614#220614If your technician can't fix it, I probably could (for free).

Hey there Dewster ~
The technician wrote me back and he said: "the power supply is not made by Moog but by a contracted supplier that makes those for hospitals with different grade specs and unfortunately is not shown in the schematics. It looks like a dead end as these are switch mode power supplies and are not meant to be repairable but replaceable."

I wouldn't even know where to look to get a power supply. If you say you can and are willing to work on my theremin, I'd be appreciative.

I just cannot believe this is happening!!!!

Posted: 6/23/2021 2:38:30 PM
pitts8rh

You shouldn't worry.  If the problem is in the power supply chances are that it is itself repairable, and on the rare chance that something like a proprietary (not available) part within the power supply has failed, a suitable substitute for the whole supply can be found.  Send a PM Dewster if you haven't already, and one of us will help you. 

Amazingly, there are people right here in the U.S. that are capable of fixing things too .

Posted: 6/23/2021 10:34:30 PM
dewster

The technician wrote me back and he said: "the power supply is not made by Moog but by a contracted supplier that makes those for hospitals with different grade specs and unfortunately is not shown in the schematics. It looks like a dead end as these are switch mode power supplies and are not meant to be repairable but replaceable."  - Amethyste

Looking at the schematics, there are +5V, +/-12V, and +/-15V.  The +/-12V is regulated down from the +/-15V via linear regulators on the pitch board.  So it seems that it's just a matter of supplying +5V and +/-15V.  It's probably more of a physical problem than an electrical problem (assuming the supply is the only issue - hopefully!). 

Amy, you sent me contact info a while back and I tried it but didn't get a response.  My email address is in my user profile, send me an email and we'll discuss the options.  Or PM me here with updated contact info.

Posted: 6/24/2021 6:22:15 AM
Thierry

That would be the very first EPro PSU I hear of, and which is really broken. The ones I had in hands had suffered either simply from a blown fuse (on the PCB) in most cases or from broken solder points in a minority of cases, but never any severe issues.

I admit, it was a strange idea from Moog to use such a medical grade SMPS in a music instrument. Especially as this type has minimal load requirements which are „satisfied“ by two big cement resistors on the control board which produce then nothing but heat…

When I service an EPro, I systematically check these resistors for their values because if broken, the missing minimal load would lead to instability of the voltages. But in the last 12 years, none was faulty on that side.

Posted: 7/11/2021 3:23:24 PM
WS786873

if i didn't remember wrong.the power is 14V AC,I bought one and transplanted the original connector to a compatible power supply. It works normally

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.