Moog Etherwave Plus - Only getting high pitch sound

Posted: 2/5/2022 11:44:35 PM
Guitarplyr

Hi,

For some reason, when I use my theremin it only produces a really high pitch sound no matter where on the antenna I am. It has been working fine before. It is on a mic stand and have not changed anything with regards to where I use it. Is it perhaps broken? I tried running through all the nobs on the front and all I get is a really high pitch noise. Any ideas what could be the problem?

Thanks!

Posted: 2/6/2022 12:07:51 AM
oldtemecula

What is high pitch? Do not start adjusting the insides of the box. I only have one guess, check the continuity of the large inductors on the pitch antenna side and the solder joint at the antenna.

Christopher

Posted: 2/6/2022 12:56:07 AM
Guitarplyr

Thank you for the reply, really appreciate it. To check this does that mean I should open up the Theremin remove the screws etc? To check continuity is there any instructions on how to do this? Sorry not really familiar with the inner workings of it. Thanks! 

Posted: 2/8/2022 5:05:38 PM
Guitarplyr

Update: I opened up the Theremin and noticed that that Silver tape that seems to need to be adhered to the case was peeled upwards touching one of the metal wires. I secured that silver piece of tape back to the base inside and now it is working. I guess having that tape come undone inside somehow effected the functioning of it. Working as expected now.

Posted: 2/9/2022 12:37:16 PM
Spider76

Thanks for the update. Strange that the aluminium foil was peeling, is your theremin very old? Or maybe was it kept in the sun, or were there sudden changes in temperature/humidity?
Anyway, happy that it was an easy fix, and good information in case something similar happens to others. 
Thanks for your contribution!

Posted: 2/9/2022 10:57:09 PM
Guitarplyr

It is probably 5 or 6 years old and just in a studio room not moved much at all. If this peels off the base again, is there a way to keep it from peeling? I didnt want to just like tape it down or glue it in place in case that would cause some interference. Thanks!

Posted: 2/10/2022 1:15:46 PM
Spider76

There are people with much better technical knowledge that can advise you on the best way to fix the aluminium foil without creating intereferences.
What I know is that in general, it's better if you bend the wire that passes above the foil, so that not only it doesn't touch the aluminium, but also that it's as far as possible.

Posted: 2/10/2022 1:29:54 PM
Guitarplyr

Thank you for the information, I appreciate it.

Posted: 2/10/2022 2:34:34 PM
dewster

"If this peels off the base again, is there a way to keep it from peeling? I didnt want to just like tape it down or glue it in place in case that would cause some interference."  - Guitarplyr

If you want to replace it IIRC it's just aluminum tape you can buy at the hardware store. 

If you want to repair it just stick some duct or packaging tape over it, the insulating layer won't hurt anything or cause any interference.

Posted: 2/10/2022 7:18:51 PM
Guitarplyr

Great, thank you for the advice.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.