Sugarman Rodriguez

Posted: 2/14/2022 10:06:07 PM
michaelb

Hi
Me and a few friends are putting together a Rodriguez tribute band. We want to recreate the songs as close to the studio versions as possible.

The study I have done so far has led me to believe one of the sounds in Sugarman is a Theremin or a Moog Theremin. Finding schematics on this site pointed me in the direction of building my own, sounds like a fun project. Hopefully there are people on this forum that could point me in the right direction.

The original can be heard here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E90_aL870ao&ab_channel=ZinzinMoretto

Cheers
Michael

Posted: 2/14/2022 11:59:07 PM
oldtemecula

The theremin is one of the most challenging electronic projects or instruments to build, why most engineers go the digital route. That being said I think a Moog Theremini is the best approach for you to duplicate what you want.

Christopher

Posted: 2/15/2022 12:23:36 AM
michaelb

, why most engineers go the digital route.

Hi Chris. I am not opposed to a digital solution. Which would you suggest?

I have the Arturia moog plugin running in Presous Studio One. I don't know if it can reproduce a theremin sound. I am a long time muso but a complete newb to a Moog and the settings are quite bamboozling. I fumbled around but quickly realised it would take me weeks to get my head around what the knobs actually do.

Posted: 2/15/2022 3:39:48 AM
dewster

"The study I have done so far has led me to believe one of the sounds in Sugarman is a Theremin or a Moog Theremin."   - michaelb

Thank you for the pointer to a musician I'd never heard before!

After listening to that song twice, I don't think there's a Theremin in there - it sounds more like a synth to me.

Posted: 2/15/2022 8:17:03 AM
michaelb

"I don't think there's a Theremin in there - it sounds more like a synth to me.

Hi dewster

Thanks for the reply. I hope you enjoy listening to him. He had a huge cultural impact in Aus and even more so in South Africa yet he is still virtually unknown in USA.

There is an amazing film/doco called Searching For Sugarman. In South Africa they all believed he was dead (burnt alive on stage was the most common myth). Turns out he was alive and well and still living in Detroit and knew nothing of his fame. Screwed big time by his agent.

I managed to have a bit of a conversation with a few people on Reddit, one was of the same opinion as you but seemed to change their mind.

Sugarman thread

The official site has a review from Andrew Bond that mentions a Moog. I have no idea who Andrew is. The original album had no musician credits and the info was subsequently patched together for later releases.

Sugarman Site   

What synth would you suggest I try?

Cheers
Michael

Posted: 2/15/2022 12:19:33 PM
dewster

"There is an amazing film/doco called Searching For Sugarman." - michaelb

Yes, thanks!  I saw a reference to that and plan to watch it soon.

Now that I've listened to the song a few more times it doesn't sound like a Theremin.  There are sharp attacks here and there that are difficult to do on Theremin (unless it is modified, or digital).  There's a graininess to some of the lower notes that sounds like tape wow and flutter, and the character of the higher notes sound very much like the strings.  Overall I'm hearing what sounds like timbres that were recorded at one speed and played back at different speeds.  So my guess is they're morphing acoustic sounds with tape somehow.  A Mellotron maybe?  Musique concrète?

Posted: 2/15/2022 6:43:47 PM
JPascal

Sixto Rodriguez's music was more famous in Australia than that of the Rolling Stones, without him knowing it himself or getting any money. Research brought this to light and a film documentary was made about it. His life is an incredible story that no one could make up. I sometimes play this song for myself on the piano and improvise to it. In fact, a theremin voice is thinkable for this song, played by a professional artist. But also piano inclusive melody-part with an accompaniment by theremin is possible.

Posted: 2/16/2022 4:56:26 PM
dewster

Watched "Searching for Sugar Man" yesterday, a really well put together documentary.  The build-up to the "reveal" that Rodriguez was still alive went on a bit too long though.  Docs on musicians usually have a natural source to draw on for their sound tracks, this one was quite beautiful and appropriate.

Sixto's humble nature and his obvious care for humanity are quite the lesson.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.