First Impression of the Claravox From a Tube (Valve) Player

Posted: 10/7/2022 1:28:37 PM
ka4koe

I briefly played another musician's Claravox recently...never mind who or where. I continue to play my Keppinger Mark 1; a ten-vacuum tube (valve) theremin of the traditional, heterodyning type. My impressions?

1. The Claravox is a beautifully executed instrument in appearance.
2. The tonal field appeared to be quite uniform. The volume appeared very expressive and the instrument did mute completely.
3. However, the instrument did not appear to be "alive"; it felt like an imitation. I can't really put words to it. Almost a visceral reaction that is noticed immediately. A well-known theremin technician/repairman/engineer told me he knew EXACTLY what I meant and described his short summation. I won't repeat his words here.

Summary: Although the Claravox may be the ideal instrument for some (assuming its technical flaws are ever worked out by Moog), I will stick with my cantankerous, heavy, yet beautiful vacuum tube theremin.

Be well my friends.

Respectfully Yours,

Philip Neidlinger, PE
Electrical Engineer

"Fleep"

Posted: 10/7/2022 4:08:46 PM
Yngvox Moogsteen

I would love to try your wonderful Theremin.  Comparing tube and tubeless, a tube based instrument is always going to have a more alive flowing sound.  That’s why most guitar players prefer tube amps.  Compared to other non tube theremins The Claravox compares well and is more alive than less analog theremins.  I know there are 1 or 2 here at Theremin World that seem to have a problem with anything Moog, not you.  The Claravox doesn’t do everything perfectly but it does alot including somethings other Theremins don’t.  During the worse pandemic in 100 years and subsequent supply chain issues it wasn’t perfect in its introduction but is a good theremin.
Your Theremin does sound great.  I would love one. Or two.
Take it easy fellow player.

Posted: 10/7/2022 4:17:02 PM
dewster

"I briefly played another musician's Claravox recently...never mind who or where."  - ka4koe

I bet I can guess who and where! :-)

"1. The Claravox is a beautifully executed instrument in appearance."

I agree, quite beautiful looking!  Though perhaps a bit large, what with all the air inside?

"3. However, the instrument did not appear to be "alive"; it felt like an imitation. I can't really put words to it. Almost a visceral reaction that is noticed immediately."

Modern mode?  This I think is lack of timbre variation with pitch & volume (which likely comes from the analog synth mindset at Moog Inc.).  I find the EPro voices flat and bland as well.

"A well-known theremin technician/repairman/engineer told me he knew EXACTLY what I meant and described his short summation. I won't repeat his words here."

I bet I can guess who that is too! :-)

Posted: 10/7/2022 6:02:04 PM
dewster

"I know there are 1 or 2 here at Theremin World that seem to have a problem with anything Moog..."  - Yngvox Moogsteen

You seem to keep casting me as a general Moog hater.  For the record I think they blew it on the Theremini, partially on the Cvox, and somewhat on the new EW.  Outside of that I have no strong opinions about their non-Theremin product offerings, nor about the company itself.  And I do think it's entirely fair to judge products on their own merits / lack thereof - that's the consumer's job actually.

Posted: 10/7/2022 6:27:36 PM
Yngvox Moogsteen

Sorry if I misinterpreted some posts but to be honest it really seemed that any post regarding a Moog Theremin was negative.  If I  am overstating this, sorry.  You must have some Idea you can come across this way as you took my remark personally.
Best wishes,

I still want one of your theremins.

Posted: 10/7/2022 8:46:10 PM
oldtemecula

I miss the theremin conflicts of days gone by. We designers were all high strung doing our own thing. What happens is everyone has a different interpretation of what a theremin is. The Theremin Phenomenon is a fascinating discovery from Nature young enthusiasts should explore. Bob Moog understood it better than anyone else in his day. The principle is completely removed in proximity controlled synthesizers or digital theremins, not a bad thing just the way it is. When someone asks me today what theremin should I buy I away cringe as we are still not there.

Christopher

Posted: 10/7/2022 9:08:04 PM
Yngvox Moogsteen

An analog theremin is the most connected to an instrument experience I could imagine.  Nothing compares.   I would like to try a digital theremin but the flowing nature of analog instruments seems hard to replicate.  I love my tube amps on guitar and theremin.  I am all about legato on the theremin.  Guitar banjo, and mandolin for staccato.
Oldtemecula,  I really liked the violin sound on your theremin and would really love to play or own one.
Thanks for all you have added to Theremin World and the world of Theremins.

Posted: 10/7/2022 9:52:18 PM
dewster

"You must have some Idea you can come across this way as you took my remark personally."  - Yngvox Moogsteen

Dude, there's so few of us here when you say "one or two" you gotta be talking about me!

"I still want one of your theremins."

Email me, I'd be happy to put you on the list!  And I'm sorry to come across as so confrontational, please accept my apology.

Posted: 10/7/2022 10:14:45 PM
Yngvox Moogsteen

It’s all good.  I can come across over positive but I do believe in constructive criticism.  No product is perfect and the Claravox is not for sure.  But I think it does make some beautiful sounds and is very reflective of what The player is trying to achieve.  I wish the traditional mode had register changing like the etherwavepro.  It can be a bit quirky at times but quite powerful as a means of musical expression.
All theremin players have a great weekend...

Posted: 10/8/2022 4:45:58 PM
oldtemecula

ka4koe said:

3. However, the instrument did not appear to be "alive"; it felt like an imitation. I can't really put words to it. Almost a visceral reaction that is noticed immediately. A well-known theremin technician/repairman/engineer told me he knew EXACTLY what I meant and described his short summation. I won't repeat his words here.

I also know what you mean in that my own true Theremin Phenomenon approach using two transistors and special knowledge the musical notes seem crisp from the fingertips, where many other theremins sound like the Thereminist is “pushing” around muffled notes embellished in reverb.

Yes sometimes the analog Theremin Phenomenon wakes up in a bad mood as it is natural. The Phenomenon needs to be better defined on paper to move away from Mystical before we can better control it and stop avoiding it.

Christopher
WD6EDZ

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.