Moog vs Burns

Posted: 11/14/2022 10:02:30 AM
Seqpro3

Was wondering about brands. I knew about Moog never have heard about Burns. Wondering what the pros and cons might be of each company. 
I would think there aren’t to many companies making theremins in large volume and I know about Moogs reputation with synths and other companies like sequential and oberhiem  making the gold standard for analog synths just didn’t know if the two major players were moog and burns? And rca made them in 1929? The theremin seems to have started right when Hammond tonewheel organs came out in the 30s. I wouldn’t know about the various brands though
Just knew about Robert moogs involvement. What brand of theremin did jimmy page of Led Zeppelin use?
Thanks sorry for all the questions 

Posted: 11/15/2022 7:18:54 PM
dewster

Burns is a dead bug hand-wired RC CMOS Theremin which likely has small fields (I've never seen one in the flesh) due to the low voltage and somewhat unstable oscillators.  The Moog Etherwave is an LC Theremin and is much more sophisticated (as these things go) - the fields are big and fairly stable.

Posted: 11/15/2022 11:42:11 PM
Seqpro3

What is an LC theremin? What is RC CMOS?  Thanks appreciate it and thanks for taking the time to reply

Posted: 11/16/2022 3:47:55 AM
dewster

LC is inductor capacitor oscillator, which is more stable than resistor capacitor RC.  CMOS is an old logic family that can be pressed into service linearly.  These basics kind of matter because Theremins tend to be rather basic devices.

Posted: 11/16/2022 8:18:00 AM
Seqpro3

Sounds very technical. I would like to get that Moog etherwave theremin.  I’m just weary 
In regards to how difficult it would be to learn to be proficient . I learned 10 hole diatonic 
Harmonica, it’s difficult you can’t see what your doing.i learned it based off my knowledge of jazz theory. It’s more of a feel learning to bend notes . I’m very basic but can play in cross harp a little bit. I have experience in playing jazz piano. I play synths and other keyboards. Do you play any other instruments that might help you in your pursuit of learning and playing the theremin? Thanks

Posted: 11/16/2022 3:32:21 PM
dewster

I play folk guitar and sing, but only for my own enjoyment (don't perform live or record it).

Musicians who come from a violin / musical saw background seem to take to the Theremin most quickly.  They're used to gliss instruments that train their ears particularly well for pitch.  I've read that Clara had perfect pitch, and Katica has told me that she does too (and I believe her) - which I'm sure helps as there is little to act as a reference on the Theremin.

Posted: 11/16/2022 4:01:17 PM
Spider76

Yes, I'm afraid piano training won't be of much help for theremin, except of course for a general knowledge of music theory, which never hurts.
But for playing technique, piano can actually be detrimental because you get used to play discrete, pre-tuned notes, so your pitch/ear training is not really advanced (unless you have a natural gift). I say this from experience because I come from a piano background piano too. 
Strings (esp. fretless) or wind instruments have a big advantage in that regard because there's never a "perfect" note, you're constantly adjusting pitch on the go with your playing.
So I'd say, the best training for theremin is ear training first and foremost. Then yes, there are a few moethods available (Carolina Eyck is the most famous and comprehensive). Still there are no shortcuts, you have to approach it like you're learning a whole new instrument: it will take months to reach very basic capabilities, and years to have a decent proficiency.

Posted: 11/16/2022 6:11:06 PM
Yngvox Moogsteen

Ear training and consistent tuning will build muscle memory.  Theremin will improve your other instruments as it helps you listen.  It is a lot of fun and if you stay loose and play you will learn.  Nothing to be intimidated by.  Like no other instrument.
That’s a good thing.
Good luck.

Posted: 11/16/2022 7:21:52 PM
Seqpro3

Very insightful.  It seems that you have to pay your dues to play the theremin. For tonal music it seems very unforgiving. I would hope playing jazz has helped
My ears so to speak. Polychords and dense harmonies.  This instrument seems suited for ballads I would think in a jazz context.  I would think to get the chops required to even play simple Melodic passages would be demanding. To really blow on this thing jazz slang would seem beyond daunting. I would think playing microtonal music would come more natural being that you could get in between semi tones (100 cent intervals) quite easily.  Maybe quartertones as well, although I’m so used to hearing tonality  in semi tones that quarter tones would seem so foreign. Other cultures learn to sing in quarter tones and they do it with ease. I would think that arpeggiating chord tones and enclosures would be very hard . I don’t know how you would swing on this instrument . I would think 8th note triplets or  even 8th notes or 16th notes would be very hard as well.  Maybe this would be a great instrument to drone on as long as your vibrato is good. Not sure how this instrument would work with atonal music.  Would think you would have to get a handle on tonal music before trying that.
Seems like a lot of work . Very unusual instrument makes modular synths and synths like the Minimoog seem more approachable. It seems the theremin would fit well with experimental music or the avant-garde.  I see why it’s used for special effects. I read that harpo Marx and Charlie Chaplin owned theremins.
Seemed to be a thing way back then. My favorite genre is when It’s used in a classical setting. Thanks for your reply as well as your insight. Take care

Posted: 11/16/2022 8:53:33 PM
Yngvox Moogsteen

The etherwave just dropped price at Sweetwater.  Go for it.  The work is fun.  Theremins work well in keyboard amp.  You will love it.  It is magical.  I find it way easier than violin or Cello.  The power and connection to player of a theremin are unmatched in any other instrument. For me, Extremely fast Staccato is not what it was made for as much, especially very short fast notes.  The fluidity and expressiveness of a theremin are unique.  Think of singing.  If you can match notes and have patience you will be rewarded.
Have fun.
The Burns is an inexpensive beginners theremin.  The Etherwave is worth the extra especially if you want cv.  The Claravox is great.  I love mine.  Also midi out.  But now if you can get one it’s $2000 plus stand.
Just get a theremin.
Be happy to hear you play in a few months.......

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.