Reminder - Ether Music 2006

Posted: 4/22/2006 5:08:04 PM
ephemeris

Hi all, I would like to learn more about Ether Music 2006 festival. It seems that the web site is not working yet. As a theremin player, I would like to come, meet other theremin players, and play. If you have any information, please post it here.
Have anyone of you attended the last year festival? Unfortunately, I've heard about it too late to start making arrangements for the visit. Please tell what it was like (I guess it was great?).
Thank you in advance,
Helga's Ephemeris
Posted: 4/22/2006 5:32:33 PM
GordonC

The Charlton family is considering taking it's holidays in the Asheville area this year, to coincide with EM2006. At the moment it's only a possibility, and I would love to hear from any Brits in particular who are going or who have been before, so I can get a better idea of what it's going to cost - which will be the deciding factor. Also anyone living local to Asheville - what sort of options do we have for family accommodation?

And am I right in thinking Charlotte is the closest international airport?

You can email me at gordon{at}charlton{dot}demon{dot}co{dot}uk if you want.

Posted: 4/23/2006 5:05:50 AM
AndanteCantabile

It's a little bit far from my hometown... is there something similar in europe?
Posted: 4/23/2006 10:32:05 PM
Jeff S

I was one of the people to attend Ether Music 2005 last year. If you're interested I can tell you what the fees were last year. Information about hotels, motels, etc. are readily available by doing a search on the internet as well as information on many tourist attractions. Being a popular area for tourism can have an effect on room prices and availability. Last year rooms at the Doubletree (hotel) at a "discounted rate" were offered to attendees. I had to choose less pricy accommodations elsewhere.

I just sent an email to James D. at Moog Music asking that they release any information on this years shindig as soon as possible. I hope we hear something soon.
Posted: 4/24/2006 12:09:15 AM
ephemeris

Yes, Jeff S, please tell what the fees were last year. If possible, email me (<address removed>), I have some additional questions about Ether Music 2005 (participation, contest etc.). (I'd write myself to you first, but I don't see your email address in your profile.)

Posted: 4/24/2006 5:57:19 AM
AndanteCantabile

The flight from italy it's about 1100 euros... too much for me... :-(
Posted: 4/24/2006 6:07:40 AM
ephemeris

The flight from Russia is about the same price, but moreover, do I understand correctly that you even have to pay for attending the event itself (buy a ticket that costs about 400 dollars)? Please correct me if I am wrong. Someone told me that the performers (theremin players who want to attend the event) have to pay, is it true?
Posted: 4/24/2006 7:07:48 AM
Jeff S

Last year I believe an official announcement was made some time in April, but because of my computer crash I no longer have the original email(s). The official registration form was released on May 15th. The deadline for "early bird" registration was June 15th, although that was extended, no doubt due to poor response.

Early Bird registration for the full four days was $375, and $475 thereafter. Single Day Passes were $135, and then $155 after the deadline. It's impossible to guess if that will remain the same.

For your information, master classes with Lydia Kavina were offered for $65, and $85 after the deadline. Private lessons with Lydia were available for $35 per half-hour, and $45 per half-hour after the deadline.

Rooms were offered to event participants at a "discount" at the Doubletree hotel for $130 per night. Personally, I had to opt for a room at the Day's Inn.

Obviously, we do not yet know what the fees will be for 2006 or who the performers will be. I don't know if the performers must pay the fees but the rest of us do. You're only a "performer" if you've been contacted by Moog Music and have been asked to be one, although there was an open mic night where anyone could get up on stage and play for up to 10 minutes. I imagine there will be a composition contest again this year.
Posted: 4/24/2006 7:35:40 AM
ephemeris

Jeff, thank you so much for the information. It was indeed helpful! Now I have a much clearer idea, thx again!
Posted: 4/25/2006 11:16:28 AM
cantelow

Wilco Botermans' site is a good one to watch for European events:

http://www.theremin.nl/index.php?en

There was a theremin festival in Germany around this last February that looked wonderful. I imagine there will be more. I think Wilco was one of the people who put together the festival in Germany.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.