"Luna Park" theremin included :)

Posted: 10/9/2012 2:07:16 PM
Amethyste

My husband and I are a "band". Well, a 2 people band. We have so much music that we have released and are in the process of releasing :)

There is a piece I'd like to share with you titled "Luna Park". It is a slow building meditative song with vocals I did and yes! Theremin!

I hope you enjoy it :)

http://soundcloud.com/amethyste/luna-park-voice-and-theremin

Posted: 10/9/2012 2:10:44 PM
Thomas Grillo

This is a fantastic work! I love music like this. I play this kind of music when I fly my simulator. :)

Posted: 10/9/2012 2:19:12 PM
Amethyste

well then... It has purpose! :)

Posted: 10/9/2012 3:36:40 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Amey -

What caught my attention was the superb "transfer" of your voice over to theremin - Actually, it made me think - You and the theremin are an instrument - "The One" LOL ;-)

Your voice is beautiful, the theremin is beautiful - I personally did not like the backing much - it just (to me) was too "bland" and the "Enigma" style riff did nothing to lift it (this is just a matter of my personal taste) - IMO,  It may have been ok if it had not been so predominant -

Your wonderful voice and wonderful theremin playing is what, IMO, should be up front - with the spotlight shining on "it".. The backing (whatever it is) should never drown you out  - other musicians should subdue their egos and accept that you are the lead, the focus, the whole and only reason why anyone is listening.

Fred.

Posted: 10/10/2012 2:51:38 AM
Amethyste

THank you Fred for the wonderful review. My husband read it and he wanted to add that in "ambient/electronic music" vocalists and thereminists and more instrument players are not really "featured", it is a blend of everything to give the listener a "wholesome" experience.

But I agree with you ;) though, I am not the owner of the project, I don't step on toes ... I am not a theremin diva. To get my husband to agree in adding theremin to the music has been a strong battle. I am winning a little bit I think ;)

Thank you for listening!! <3

Posted: 10/10/2012 3:16:27 AM
Thomas Grillo

@FredM: You took the words right out of my mouth. I agree. :)

Posted: 10/10/2012 3:20:12 AM
Amethyste

I'll have him read the thread, I don't think it will change a bit.

@Fred: you think it is ego? I don't think it is that, perhaps it's just an instrument that is not really used in the kind of music we do. Making it fit and thatitsound beautiful and powerful has been a challenge. Maybe with my project, we will feature the theremin and vocals more since what I do it more "spacial" and "atmospheric". As for what he does, it doesn't have the same dynamics... I donno lol :P

Posted: 10/10/2012 7:04:16 AM
w0ttm

I've run into "style wars" when playing music with my bride, Kitty who has a similar voice and style as you do.

She is on one side of the room with her acoustic guitar and wind chime angelic voice while I'm on the other side, amp set on 11, Les Paul slung low, and doing the Pete Townsend 360 degree strum.

We compromise. Sometimes I turn it down and finger pick, sometimes she channels Janis Joplin.

Life is good.

Posted: 10/10/2012 11:33:38 AM
coalport

LUNA PARK is beautifully done but when I listen to it I get the feeling that I am listening to a soundtrack. The music seems to have been created for visuals that I am not seeing. It would be a perfect accompaniment for underwater footage of great whales, or the flight of wild geese, or a tour of the solar system. I don't mean this as a put down of the composition - in fact, quite the opposite. There is an art to music that is made to complement visual images without focusing attention on itself. 

Music of this sort is generally classified by the music industry as "New Age". Most composers resent this and feel that it belittles their work, and associates it with new age crackpots and California hot tub spirituality. New Age music of the electronic variety generally relies on a number of elements that we hear clearly in LUNA PARK and in other types of "Ambient Space Music": extended consonant synth pads under sequenced arpeggios with a solo acoustic instrument or vocal (often in a neo-Celtic or "Faerie" style) designed to create an atmosphere of relaxation, inspiration or upliftment.

"Ambient music" is designed to surround (from the Latin "ambire" = to surround). It is not intended to lead the listener anywhere, it is simply supposed to envelop. For those who want the music they listen to to shake them up, stimulate, or challenge them in some way ambient, as Fred points out, is "bland". 

Posted: 10/10/2012 11:47:44 AM
Amethyste

Coalport... You exactly put in words what I wanted to say :) THank you for listening and for the wonderful explanation of what Ambient music is about :)

Much love!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.