Actual information on Claravox

Posted: 8/14/2021 9:21:18 PM
dewster

Is there an echo in here?

It could be internally generated interference (i.e. the call may be coming from inside the house).  When you've got digital logic that close to the antennas you often have to take specific countermeasures against it.

[EDIT] "Hi. Was you epro turned on at the time when you experienced problems with claravox? I mean, is it possible that the problem can be related to the influence of another theremin nearby?"  - Ruslan

Ah, excellent advice!  It's remotely possible that even a powered-down Theremin in the immediate vicinity might cause interference.

Posted: 8/14/2021 9:24:16 PM
Ruslan

I haven’t tested to see if the problem happens in traditional mode.No instability with the e-pro, so it’s definitely an issue with the instrument and not surrounding area, amp, cables etc.Frustrating…

Hi. Was you epro turned on at the time when you experienced problems with claravox? I mean, is it possible that the problem can be related to the influence of another theremin nearby?

Posted: 8/14/2021 10:31:12 PM
tcordara

Hi there,

No, the e-pro was off and all the way across the room. Also, I just tested in traditional mode, and the same issue occurs.

Posted: 8/15/2021 9:29:50 AM
JPascal

When I look at the sound spectrum, I only find jumps in frequency, not in the shape of the timbre. This confirms the previous suspicions that it is a capacitive problem. First try could be to mechanically fix the pitch antenna. Another way is via grounding, cables to the amplifier....

Posted: 8/15/2021 2:18:50 PM
bendra

When I look at the sound spectrum, I only find jumps in frequency, not in the shape of the timbre. This confirms the previous suspicions that it is a capacitive problem. First try could be to mechanically fix the pitch antenna. Another way is via grounding, cables to the amplifier....

Agree with the pitch antenna, particularly if it doesn’t fit as snugly against the body when attached as it should. I used a thin washer to fill the space between the pitch arm and the body just because the slight droop bothered me

Posted: 8/15/2021 11:25:03 PM
Gibarian

I'm sad to report apparent problems with the volume circuit of serial #00040.

The audio over both the line and the headphone outputs is almost inaudible. When I touch the volume loop, there's a chirp and the signal is very briefly audible at its intended volume, maybe for 1/4th of a second, before it goes quiet again. 

The tuner output, however, works as expected. I hear the unfiltered signal at full volume.

I hope it's just a calibration issue. Let's see what Moog says.

Posted: 8/15/2021 11:51:21 PM
Peragere

Hmm... there seem to be more people each time I check having problems with the Claravox. Are these a minority? (all technology has a failure rate, I understand this) Are there people out there that have received the Claravox and are having no issues and are happy with their purchase? Love to hear from you. 

Wife still wants to go ahead with purchase, I am getting a little nervous as we live in Australia and not so easy to send back I'm guessing for a service.

Cheers.

Posted: 8/16/2021 2:06:02 AM
bendra

I’m probably jinxing myself, but so far I’ve had no issues

Posted: 8/16/2021 2:20:16 AM
Peragere

Cheers Bendra... appreciate the videos you have created as well.

Posted: 8/16/2021 3:25:27 AM
johnthom

Replacing original posts with this recap where I will update progress.

Upon receiving my Claravox (#00133) I noticed immediately that the volume response was reversed and very quiet (this was in traditional mode).  Switching to modern mode I was able to run the calibration routine and slightly improve on the response issue.

I called Moog and talked to a support person who initially suggested I fiddle with the timber knob a few times to see if that made a difference which it did not.  He then suggested there may be a connectivity issue with the volume loop and had me try unseating the loop by lifting it slightly out of its locked position.  When I did this, I got great blasts of sound which was a surprise even though the response was still reversed.  He then asked I send a video of the results of these changes to them for further analysis.  I hope to hear something back tomorrow.

NOTE:  I have an EPro that has been working flawlessly for 4+ years.  I disconnected it, moved it to the far side of the room and replaced it with the Claravox using the same mains power source, amplifier, etc.  Also, the issues described above are present using the headphones output as well.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.