Claravox software editor tips, tricks, and successes

Posted: 1/13/2022 11:44:36 PM
Gibarian

I observed the editor to gain some insight on the MIDI implementation.

For example the "filter cutoff" parameter appears non-linear in the editor, going from 100 Hz to 8000 Hz in an exponential way. It is stored as a normalized value [0..1] in the preset file, transmitted via MIDI as [0..16383].

There are at least 4 non-linear parameters: filterVal, osc1ScanFreq, osc2ScanFreq, osc2FilterFreq. The editor disagrees with Moog's PDF on the range of the scan frequency parameters:

What's the relationship of the raw values to the displayed Hz?

filterVal:

osc1ScanFreq and osc2ScanFreq:

osc2FilterFreq:

These curves are close enough but imperfect.

Maybe there's a much simpler way to convert from MIDI values to Hz?

Posted: 1/14/2022 9:35:03 PM
cishepard

When I opened the editor app today I got a message saying my firmware needed to be updated. I clicked the update box, waited a few minutes for the bar to move to the end and got an error message and a button to retry. I did that 3 more times to no avail. I could not even exit the app without closing it completely and re-opening.
Before I contact Moog, does anyone here have some advice or have run into the same thing?
Thx in advance.

Posted: 1/15/2022 2:53:01 AM
bendra

Yes, this happens every time I let the computer go to sleep while connected to the theremin. Dismiss thi dialog and go to gear icon->information, will show you if you are on the latest firmware 

Posted: 1/15/2022 4:10:08 PM
cishepard

Yes, this happens every time I let the computer go to sleep while connected to the theremin. Dismiss thi dialog and go to gear icon->information, will show you if you are on the latest firmware

It says I am at 1.0.1 and the update is 1.0.2.
I am using an Ipad and I only have it connected to the Claravox when I want to use the editor. It is also hard to ignore, as I use the editor a window keeps popping up telling me to update.
I opened a chat with Moog, and the message was that they are busy and will email me… I then received a form email saying they will get back to me sometime …
@bendra, were you ever able to update? Is everyone else on 1.0.2?

Posted: 1/15/2022 10:29:08 PM
RoyP

cishepard - I know this may sound a wee bit crazy but before doing anything else, uninstall the Claravox app from your iPad, reinstall it and open it up whilst connected to your (switched on) Claravox.

Posted: 1/16/2022 7:17:31 AM
gingercat

Is everyone else on 1.0.2?

the one time my app was ever able to read info from the CVox it told me I was already on v1.02 firmware. It came from Moog with 1.02 installed

I'm a PC user and the app is still too buggy. Even if the CVox actually needed an upgrade I wouldn't risk it with this version of the app

Posted: 1/17/2022 2:05:04 PM
cishepard

cishepard - I know this may sound a wee bit crazy but before doing anything else, uninstall the Claravox app from your iPad, reinstall it and open it up whilst connected to your (switched on) Claravox.

I tried this yesterday, thanks for the suggestion but it did not help. I guess I will just patiently wait for an updated app. I was looking forward to working with the presets but it is just frustrating that the firmware update window keeps popping up. Starting to regret selling my Theremini!

Posted: 1/20/2022 2:19:32 AM
gingercat

I know this is no help whatsoever but today the CVox editor is working perfectly. The frustrating thing is I just don't know why

Posted: 1/20/2022 8:36:22 AM
DOMINIK

I guess you finally have broken its soul..

Posted: 1/26/2022 4:00:20 AM
gingercat

I guess you finally have broken its soul..

No its broken mine - Its now back to crashing everytime you connect th cvox

If I could just work out what the conditions were that made it work properly then I could replicate them .....  I've tried all kinds of things but nothing so far. It just seems quite random

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.