Old temecula RS theremin PCB

Posted: 8/24/2012 5:25:28 PM
mattharrison

Hello Theremin world,

Does anyone out there have the PDF file for the rs theremin PCB which was removed from the old temecula website a few years ago. I contacted Chris at old temecula about the PCB file and he gave a very long winded answer of "no". Thanks in advance.

Posted: 8/26/2012 8:33:29 AM
MarkT

Yes, I do.  Also in the shed a half built one.  Anyone else ever made one of these?

Posted: 8/26/2012 4:03:31 PM
RS Theremin

Hi All,

My theremin research continues forward daily looking toward the magic of the past…

I do have current builders of my theremin project who are “chosen” after answering a few Email questions, one is if they can keep my design private. They are given a free circuit board and all the components that are not available at Radio Shack, as was offered to the OP. I have no need for profit as sharing the gift of theremin is more important.

My Email to the builder may be long winded, as a test to see if the builder has patience and can follow directions. As every theremin designer discovers answering email can become the whole project. I can only assist a couple of builders at a time.

This attitude of a winy generation that thinks they are owed something is ridiculous. They will “burn the bridge in front of them” before they ever know where they want to go!

Christopher

Posted: 8/26/2012 5:18:58 PM
Sillyconica

try http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/http://www.oldtemecula.com/theremin/rs-illusion/*

Posted: 8/26/2012 6:30:57 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"My Email to the builder may be long winded, as a test to see if the builder has patience and can follow directions. As every theremin designer discovers answering email can become the whole project. I can only assist a couple of builders at a time.

This attitude of a winy generation that thinks they are owed something is ridiculous. They will “burn the bridge in front of them” before they ever know where they want to go!" - Christopher

I find the above really sad, Christopher. You come across as embittered, almost defeated.. not the Chris we once all knew and (even if we never said so) admired secretly for his tenacity and humor.

Cmon - we all get knocked about by life - and many of us do “burn the bridge in front of them" in a moment of folly.. But fortunately there are some who have ferries and are willing to help those who screwed up - I know that if it hadnt been for people like this, I would never have made it anywhere... And I think if you look at your life you are likely to find this true for yourself as well.

Kindest regards,

Fred.

"As every theremin designer discovers answering email can become the whole project"

I agree - but it doesnt need to be this way - You are in control of how much you give, and there is no obligation to hold someones hand through the whole process. The fact is that your RS Theremin and its derivatives have been expounded for years on your site - It is not surprising that, even though you may recently have removed your offer of a .pdf, people will still enquire about it. Why not simply make this available for anyone to download? This way you do not need to go through a time consuming "vetting" process for every enquiry - you can simply tell any enquirers that you have given everything they need, and cannot help further.

" if they can keep my design private"

IMO, this is just silly. You have published overlays of your PCB showing the tracks and components, you have published the schematics - There is nothing "private" about any of it anymore. You do not have the ability, when you put stuff on the WWW, to retain any "privacy" regarding what you have published.

Anyone with PCB layout software could take the construction diagrams from your site and create a PCB in less than 20 minutes, and, if it was worth doing, publish this as a gerber or PDF on-line without problem.

Posted: 8/26/2012 7:16:20 PM
RS Theremin

Silly said: try http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/http://www.oldtemecula.com/theremin/rs-illusion/*

Wow over 500 links of my past work. I found it beautiful as even I was surprised, my theremin journey documented. There are many more pages that never got archived.

Fred I am not bitter as everyday my research purrs behind me. I have had more than 1000 builders over the years with 10 to 100 email exchanges per builder. It is overwhelming because I want everyone to succeed, yet I am always evolving the design. This is why I must limit who builds my design as TW has a whole list for others to try.

If my writing above is unacceptable, oh well I have contributed where I can. As we both know theremins are built from simple circuits but are not easily finished. We would have many more theremin approaches available that can produce music if it were easy and more people posting sound bytes with their designs.

Fred think happy thoughts  (-;  Psst Once I offered a completed pitch board and antenna to be sent to those other two engineers to proof that antenna idea and was turned down. LOL  It must be something to do with the way I word things. hum...

Christopher  (-:

Edit: Oh Fred you added more, it is good to see you in a new thread especially about me! LOL   My webpage is only private to limit email, nothing is special about my approach except it is my approach. Remember the PAiA thread the individual reversed the image? That is what I want to avoid. I have seen too many builders fail because they can't make the circuit board, I can't help but feel responsible.

Posted: 8/26/2012 7:58:41 PM
dewster

"Once I offered a completed pitch board and antenna to be sent to those other two engineers to proof that antenna idea and was turned down."  -RS Theremin

I'm interested, actually very interested, but I've just got too much on my plate at the moment to do justice to any side investigations.  IMO, the onus is on you to figure this out and explain it (if you care to, and it seems like you do, but it also seems like you can't / won't - so I guess I don't understand the coy dynamic at work here).

Posted: 8/26/2012 9:01:33 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"Oh Fred you added more, it is good to see you in a new thread especially about me! " - Christopher.

Chris, I have missed you! - Also, I felt really bad because I was in a foul mood one evening, and posted some really gruff and unpleasant comments in reply to one of your comments - what I posted was unfair and unjustified, and I knew it! - I deleted this posting really quickly after it had been sent, but was worried that you had seen it and (not unreasonably) been hurt by it.. So, if you had seen it, all I can say is that I am really sorry.

Fred.

" Remember the PAiA thread the individual reversed the image? That is what I want to avoid."

LOL ;-) .. Lets be honest, that kind of Co**k-up is, fortunately, quite rare - and is more likely if incomplete data is provided.. One simple way to avoid someone making that kind of mistake is to have some text on the layout so that, if the image is reversed this text is obviously reversed... One can even have text on a DS board, one side saying "Solder side" the other saying "component side" .. If peeps still screw it up after that, well, I would say there is no hope for them and leave them to it...

"TW has a whole list for others to try.." But, as you know, sadly the majority of the simple designs are not worthy of their storage space.. Your RS theremin is listed there with the comment "This site shows you how to build a theremin using only parts available at your local Radio Shack!" - But it seems (sadly IMO) that this comment is no longer true. 

Posted: 8/26/2012 10:13:03 PM
RS Theremin

FredM said: "Your RS theremin is listed there with the comment "This site shows you how to build a theremin using only parts available at your local Radio Shack!" - But it seems (sadly IMO) that this comment is no longer true."

Oh Fred you have never been in a Radio Shack in the states. I am still 80% RS. Their never having the coils I needed was the biggest problem. This thread is starting to look like advertisement for RS Theremin which I want to avoid. With my current builders I supply everything they can't get from RS, this is why I choose wisely who builds. I invest in my builders and have nothing to sell... or prove!

There is something very magical about the deep sweeping resonant sound of a well controlled theremin that I enjoy sharing with others, not to mention the other aspects. (-'

Christopher

Posted: 8/26/2012 10:45:39 PM
MarkT

This is all a bit odd, "sharing with others" which isn't shared with others unless they pass the "test".

Chris, don't want to upset you or anything, but is the RS Theremin now Top Secret and only available to the special few?

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.