How does a Theremin “antenna” work?

Posted: 1/20/2020 8:09:31 PM
oldtemecula

JDG,

I am envious of your energy, so many projects. I would like to stuff one more pc board but the nurse pushed me over to the window instead of the table. Ok not that bad but close.

You did an excellent build and I bet you learned a lot from it, like what does not work. I like that your design is hybrid as that tells me you are flexible and adaptable which is ideal for theremin’s.

In Ave Maria you show your audio wave shape which is a good starting place for shaping the sound further. Few people understand how the sound shape develops, especially me when it is really beautiful. There is more to it as most will discover.

As far as how does the antenna work, I introduced the much simpler parallel tuning instead of the clunky series coils approach on the EWS and it is "much more" forgiving.

In your gnarly samples they hint at moving into the classical sound but I think it is volume oscillator interference. I call the gnarly sound in my own work the cicada effect. Sample.mp3  This only happened with Tubes. There is the possibility my classic sound today comes from controlled circuit ringing which enhances the brightness.

I hope to get my Phoenix PCB’s commercially made next month which I will hand out at “no cost” to any proven builders like you. It seems at theremin building we are always learning something and evolving. All that I ask is that digital engineers stand at the back of the line. (-‘

What is fun about my latest modular design the same PCB stuffed can be Pitch only with my classic sound, an ideal Theremin Volume control or a proximity control CV output 0 to 5 volts, every feature contained in same board, just flip of a switch.

For a Phoenix with Pitch/Volume you would need to stuff two boards, each board could have it's own character or pitch sound.

Christopher
www.Hwy79.com

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.